StromTrooper banner

New to ADV, based in Portland Oregon

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Hatchi 
#1 ·
Good morning,

I've been commuting year round for nearly a decade, but never offroad or even more than a couple short trips down very short gravel roads/driveways.

Now that I've picked up a K5 Vee I'd like to expand that a bit. At the same time I'd feel better starting small, since were out of SE Portland I'm thinking up the fire roads off 224 out past Estacada might turn the trick, but maybe the accumulated dwisdom here can point me in another direction..?

Thanks in advance, stay safe out there.

Torm

#2 ·
Welcome to the site. I’m sure some folks from out that way will chip I’m excited in soon. What were you riding before?

#4 ·
What were you riding before?

I've been riding the ZRX since late '14, I moved to it after cooking the top end of the '87 Intruder 700 I started riding in 2008, I loved the cruiser but when I sat on the Rex I had to get it.

I enjoy riding on the street and commuting on a bike is generally the highlight of my day, but I've always had light ADV riding in the corner of my mind and neither of my bikes thusfar were comfortable with that sort of experimentation. So I'm looking forward to seeing where I can go with a more willing machine.

#3 ·
Yes Welcome

I too am new to the Adv bike world and also the Northwest having moved here in July of 2017. I actually had not ridden for about 4 years as could no longer stand the traffic in SOCAL.

I have admired the V Stroms for many years and figured it would be the best type of bike for this part of the country. To be honest I personally have no intent of taking mine off road and with that in mind just installed a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail tires as I was looking for the best handling "road" tire I could find for the bike.

So while I won't be joining you on your off road adventures I wish you well with them.

Ride safe and watch for the critters...

#5 ·
Tires will make all the difference on typical logging roads. Road tires are clearly the best over 80 mph, but make you feel like you are riding on marbles when you are on the hard packed dirt roads with loose rock scattered here and there. Deflating the road tires helps some off road, not much imho.

The common logic is buy an 80/20 (on/off road) tire if you are spending 80% of your time on road. I found the 80/20 solution excellent on road, but 1% useful off road as mentioned above.

The 50/50 tire (like a Mitas E-07) gave me the ability to drag a peg on dry roads, and great usability on logging roads. (80%?) and long wear. Its limitations are less stability above 85mph (think passing semis) and -presumably- less adhesion in the wet. I’ve ridden mine in everything in NW drizzle to heavy down pours and haven’t had problems with the E-07s, but I’ve never tried to drag a peg in the wet, or ride as sporty as you are probably accustomed to. There are entire threads on “50/50” or “off road” tires on this site.

You’ll want to protect the header, and oil filter and cooler from stones. Skid plates vary from frame mounted bash plates for hard core off roading to light duty rock guards. I went the latter route with a light but durable rock guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Cool, cool, I have trailwings on now, and will probably stick with that or something similar, but I'm not trying to start a tire thread, as important as I hasten to admit that detail is...

What I'm really looking for are routes, good beginner runs that will get me to a place to set up a camera, but not in over my head on the first trip.

#8 ·
YES! That's what I'm talking about..

The Lost Lake run, I've heard of that... Out of ZigZag you say? I can do that.

Carlton and the range sounds like a good time too, thank you so much for the info!

keep 'em coming..

Reactions: Hatchi
#9 ·
If you want the perfect day, eat breakfast at the Screamin Chicken in Carlton, then take Meadow Lake rd, then meander over to Sand lake rd and hug the coast going North. Non- ethanol gas is sold near Sand Lake. Lunch in Astoria, then back roads thru Vernonia.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Meadow Lake rd is mostly paved, but has an easy gravel section on the west sloping side. I saw a guy on a HD do it, but for me I have to stand up.

Lolo rd is mostly easy gravel and there are many side roads. Map it out on google and wait for the snow to melt and the mud to dry up, like June. Crash bars are recommended for low speed drops. Go slow and get your Zen chi on.

On my bucket list is nf57 out of Ripplebrook up to Timothy lake. I might try it in May if the snow melts by then.

Hey, just go for it, that's what this moto is for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#12 ·
A group of us did Meadowlake Rd to Hwy 101 on our Goldwings a couple of years ago. It is definitely doable on the Strom. There is most likely snow there now, thou. Find Carlton and head west.

#13 · (Edited)
Follow 224 past Estacada to to bottom of the hill at the end of North Fork Reservoir. Left up 4610 at the Silver Fox RV Park. Keeping in mind just stay on main road and keep to the left. So 4610 to 4613 then 4614 and down the mountain on SE Tumala rd can pop you out back on to 224 off of Fall Creek rd that is just above North Fork Res. What ever you do don’t follow 4610 Up Squaw Mt. Squaw Lake way. It’s another Adventure in its self and is very highly advised if on another bike or you have help to pu your V. That one in its self is an incredible loop. But again Not on a V. If you stay on the lower loop it will give you a taste and will make you want to check out some other off shoot roads as well. But you still may need a couple weeks just to take the lower loop due to our crazy snow levels. But still you can check it out. It’s all pavement going Up the Mt. past The RV Park. Once at the top it’s gravel for about half the lower loop and mostly level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.