StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new tires.
Did not mind the Original fitted Bridgestone Trailwings which lasted 16000k`s.
I do not think that you can get them in Australia though.http://stromtrooper.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Any suggestions about other tires that are available in Australia for this excellent bike?
I do a little bit of dirt roads and ride in rain as well.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ride on Michelin Anakees which are a bit $$ but good on gravel and the road

A heap of people use the Tourances but $$ again or you can stick with the Trailwings

my next set is going to be TKC80's (knobs) so I can do more dirt and they handle all right on the tar as well

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced my trailwings with Bridgestone Battle Wings.
Similar tread pattern.
I find them better than the TW's, both on tar and dirt.
They seem to be wearing about the same.
A little cheaper than the Michelins as well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I love my Battlewings (on 2nd set now). I noticed a lot of my WA companions have gone with the Michelins, I dont know that there is a LOT of difference. I rode through Victoria on a new set of Battlewings in the wet without any loss of confidence. They were also good on the dirt/sand riding we did on our Jurien weekender a couple months back (new 2nd set)

·
Registered
43 Posts
tyres

I'm on third set of tyres. After original Bridgestones, went with Tourances front and rear and thought these were good. More than enough grip road and dirt and long lasting. Third set was another tourance rear with a Anakee front. Front grips OK but different tyres don't talk to each other too well, nothing dangerous can just tell they are not matched. Rear heading towards 22k km front 18.5k km. Will certainly be fitting a matching pair next time.

Speaking of tyres anyone tried the new continentals Trail Attacks on a Wee Strom yet??

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I have replaced the original Trailwings with a Tourance EXP on the back (at 14,000km) and a Heidenau K76 on the front (at 18,500km).

The EXP is the replacement for the original Tourance and whilst it's terrific from a performance point of view I think the jury is still out on the longevity aspect.

The Heidenau is more like the original Tourance (Heidenau are owned by Metzler who are in turn owned by Pirelli) and so far looks like a good performance vs wear option.

I'm more likely to put a Heidenau on the back than I am to put an EXP on the front.

Any decent bike shop in Australia should be able to get you Tourance EXP's Heidenaus or for that matter Anakees. If your local dealer can't or won't help a call to Bike Mart in Ringwood (Vic) will have tyres on their way to you within 24 hours.

P.S. I was like you and thought that the original Trailwings were okay, and they are but when you put some decent tyres on you will realise the difference between okay and feels planted. It's night and day.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My tourances have about 17000km's so far, the front looks very good I reckon I've got about 5 to 10k left on them, but the rear is a different story, heading to the outback a couple of times this year & doing alot of straight tar roads with a load on....(had no choice...) my rear is still a little cupped, I've taken my panniers off & try to do alot of twisty roads, it has helped take those edges off, but I reckon I've got a couple of K left.
I want to go the Anakee next on the rear, it appears a little more aggressive for offroad use compared to the Tourance which is should suit better my use of the bike.
So in that tyre condition, I rode home this afternoon in a massive rainfall, no slippage at all.
Very happy with them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
After the original Trailwings i fitted Dunlop D607s ,Then fitted a set of Tourances. A good road tyre and a lot better in the dirt than the other two. Currently have 15k on them and another 3 to 4 K left.

I have ordered a set of Heidenau K60s to go next, more a 50/50 tyre with excellent wear capabilities from all reports. The tread pattern is more off road than a Tourance but not a big open Knob like a TKC.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thats right, the front is a 100x90x19 and the rear is a 140x80x17 tubless. I have read reports on those sizes fitted to R1150 and R1200GS, so if they handle that size bike there should be no probs with the little Strom or the 1k Strom for that matter.
Will let you know about them when i get them fitted ( about 3 weeks)

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I'd be a bit concerned about clearance at the rear of the front guard with the 100/90 front tyre.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looked at the Battlewings but the pattern looks much more like a street tyre compared to the oem tires so I doubt they would be as good off-road.
But I can not buy the oem tires since they not being sold here.
Also looking at the Michelin Anakee, would not mind the Tourances but some one said that they are not being sold anymore (replaced by the EXP`s).
Which price could I expect to pay for the Battlewing/Anakee`s?
Thought I would manage more than 16K km since the bike does not have monster power and I`ve not hammered the engine.
What is normal mileage?
Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
0-7,000 kms lots of off road in the Pilbara, heat and trip across the Nullabor with lotsa weight flattened my OEM rear, replaced with Battlewing, front still ok.

7,000-18,000 OEM Front pretty much cactus, Battlewing rear still had about 7mm but a bit flat from Nullabor return and some off road, both replaced with Battlewings before off road weekend away. (not wanting to take any risk of a flat)

My opinion with Battlewings is that predominantly street riding would see 15k rear 18k front. Now I am back in the big smoke I dont anticipate having to change my tyres until bike is up around 35k bracket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did order the Conti Trail Attack, Aud$ 470 fitted.
Probably not the best off road but since I use the bike more than 95% on bitumen it should be ok.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mitas E-08 rear

Tourances are great for performance and longevity but a little expensive.

If you want a cheaper alternative for the rear, consider a Mitas E-08.
Available in 140/80-17 tubeless. Ok if you don't currently use ALL the tread to the sidewall on your rear 150/70-17.
It has a slightly more aggressive tread pattern than a tourance and as a consequence can emit a hum above 80kph on smooth surfaces. Noticable but not annoying. Showing little evidence of wear @ 6K. Rear Tourance lasted 17K.

look 'em up at www.motorcycletyres.net.au

Got my delivered for $132. Good eh!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thats right, the front is a 100x90x19 and the rear is a 140x80x17 tubless. I have read reports on those sizes fitted to R1150 and R1200GS, so if they handle that size bike there should be no probs with the little Strom or the 1k Strom for that matter.
Will let you know about them when i get them fitted ( about 3 weeks)

Got my Heidenau K60s yesterday, fitted the front with no clearance problems as yet i have not fitted the rear.
Done about 200ks on the tar and they are very noisy compared to the Tourances but ya gotta expect that with knobs!. Seem ok handling and turning into corners very stable up to 1%& kph well above the limit.

Will be fitting the rear next week and doing a few dirt rides over the next 4 weeks will let you know how they go.

The sizes are Front 100x90x19 Rear 140x80x17 both tubless.
Cost $350 delivered from Melbourne.
Attched pics of the front fitted and the rear.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I'm running a Heidenau K76 on the front and so far (about 1500kms) I like it. You get a small vibration at some speeds on some surfaces but it nothing to worry about.
It's good to know that the K60s fit okay. They might be a good option that fits between the traditional Tourance / Anakee and the TKC-80.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thats what i like about them they are a good fit between the Tourance and the TKC. If i was doing 90% tar i would run Tourances. I look forward to trying them in the dirt to see how they go.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts