StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock Trailwings were shot at about 16,000 miles. They lived a good life. In the 16,000 miles I've put on the bike, about 2 of them have been off-road. So I went for full street tires and put on Michelin Pilot Road 4's. I've only just now broken them in, but so far, I like em. They seem a little grabbier, and definitely turn in quicker. The tread pattern makes a funny whistling noise, but it's not an issue. I just pretend I'm on Luke's Landspeeder...

I have yet to really test them out on some twisties or in the rain (one of my biggest areas of concern), but so far, they seem like great tires, and I'd recommend them.

I would have tacked this onto the tire thread if I was able to find it.

That is all.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I look forward to wearing out the stock tires for some PR4s. No one seems to have anything bad to say about them if used for 100% street.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed mine out at 4,000 miles I was past ready to chunk them. I went with PR4 trails have 2,000 miles on them. I like them very much if you ride mostly black top and some gravel I would say its one of the best tires out there for the V-Strom.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Got a little over 4000 miles so far on my stock Trailwings. Guess I just don't know any better, but they seem to be wearing at a normal rate. They don't seem dangerous at all to me. 100% street riding.

I'll definitely be getting a road tire like the PR4's for my next set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I moved over to the Metzler Next tires after trying a number of different brands. Seriously the best tire for the vstrom I have used. Further improves handling and absolutely rock solid in the wet. Feedback from riders using these tyres says it all.

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
The Trailwings are plenty fine tires, not all tires that come as OEM are junk. The TW is a rather expensive tire, but no doubt there are better and cheaper alternatives out there like the Battlewing for example.

·
Registered
463 Posts
my new tires just came in yesterday! Can't wait to get 'em on and try 'em out, but still have a good 500+ miles in my Tourances first.

So far, I've tried 2 sets of Trailwings, 1 set of Anakee 3's, and now a set of Tourance's. Out of those, I'd say the Anakee's were my favorite, but I'm starting to do more "offroad" and really like the looks of these tires, and also keep trying to find that one tire that will give me some of the mileage I always hear about! :headbang:

Best I've gotten so far has been 6500, the Anakee 3's gave me that, and looks like the Tourance's are on par for that as well. :?

I'd really like to see a set that I like the feel of get me somewhere in that 8-10k miles range, but time will tell. I guess all of 'em are better than what I'm used to! I'm used to 2-3k out of sport tires! :green_lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
my new tires just came in yesterday! Can't wait to get 'em on and try 'em out, ~snip~
You should enjoy these. I am currently running them. Once broken in, they will make a whine at ~45 mph. Seem to work good in all conditions other than ice (they suck bad on ice)

replaced my tw's with these Mitas E-07 Dakars, report after some mileage...

Have these waiting for my TKC 70's to wear down. Looking forward to seeing what they can do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've found that my tires don't last as long as others report. It's because of my right wrist.:green_lol:

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Trailwings are plenty fine tires, not all tires that come as OEM are junk. The TW is a rather expensive tire, but no doubt there are better and cheaper alternatives out there like the Battlewing for example.
I'm with Big B on this, 100%. My rear TW is at 10,000 miles and I should be able to put many thousands more miles on it. I don't see how folks could burn these down at 4-6,000 miles? I ride anywhere I want from the slab to the mountains, dirt, gravel etc. I ride heavy with loaded side cases and near 275lb all the time plus more weight when heading out to camp. I ride moderately aggressively too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm with Big B on this, 100%. My rear TW is at 10,000 miles and I should be able to put many thousands more miles on it. I don't see how folks could burn these down at 4-6,000 miles? I ride anywhere I want from the slab to the mountains, dirt, gravel etc. I ride heavy with loaded side cases and near 275lb all the time plus more weight when heading out to camp. I ride moderately aggressively too.
I don't understand. I'm 145 lbs, ride lightly but enjoy the twisties. My rear TW was below 1/16 by 6500 miles. I replaced it with a Battlewing that is holding up much better. 5500 on that and still at 5/32. Next pair will be PR4s though.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't understand. I'm 145 lbs, ride lightly but enjoy the twisties. My rear TW was below 1/16 by 6500 miles. I replaced it with a Battlewing that is holding up much better. 5500 on that and still at 5/32. Next pair will be PR4s though.
It's a mystery to me also. I'm heavier and I have all the gear on my bike. I do check my air pressures a lot and the tracking of my chain and rear tire. The rear wheel on my bike was out of line the day I rode it home. This was from the dealer. You did make sure your original TW & rear wheel was tracking straight? A tire that isn't running true will scrub itself away pretty quick. Ride safe...........Mike

http://www.stromtrooper.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115338&stc=1&d=1432305259

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Mold Release

Most of you guys know this, but the new tires usually have mold release on them and need to be worn down carefully. A few days after buying my bike, I was at an uphill stop sign turning left. Let the clutch out and down I went. I thought I must have been in some oil, but looked around and nothing. Found out later from GW that it was likely mold release (or newb operating error, but I don't think so),

Best/RR

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to run the Continental Road Attacks on my old sportbike and they were great.

As well, I have 23,000 km on the stock tires on the Strom and they've just started to square off.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Muff, I rode PR3s in the rain training at the Shelton road race course, and they were great. The PR4 should be at least as good plus longer lived. Look up Puget Sound Safety for their road and adv. bike training.

The Brigdestone Battleax T30 is a good choice for a pavement tire, cheaper than the Michelins, very good in rain but not quite up to the PR4.

The new Continental TKC70 is in the same league as Heidenau K60 Scout and the Mitas E-07. Note that the E-07 Dakar version has a very stiff casing for the roughest off road riding. The TKC70 is the only radial in the group.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts