StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on my first set of replacement tires. The recommended tire pressure for the factory tires (Battlewings) was 36 psi front and 42 psi rear. However, the maximum recommended pressure for the new rear is also 42 psi. Is it OK to run it at maximum or is there a way better way? How do I determine the optimum or recommended pressure setting for the new style tire (TKC70)? I don't want to run a few thousand miles over inflated...

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I've run 36/40 on countless tires of various brands with equally varies results. You won't kill yourself but your tire mileage may vary.
If you can find specific values for your tires by all means use that information.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The recommended f/r psi on my chain guard ('15 650XT) shows 33f / 36r for solo riding. I ran an Avon TrailRiders AV53 f @ 33psi / AV54 r @ 40psi (TOO HIGH) for ~6900 miles and wore the middle out of the rear.

I'd lean toward running the Susuki psi ratings f & r as long as the tires are not oversized / undersized regardless to the tire's sidewall max psi rating.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The recommended f/r psi on my chain guard ('15 650XT) shows 33f / 36r for solo riding. I ran an Avon TrailRiders AV53 f @ 33psi / AV54 r @ 40psi (TOO HIGH) for ~6900 miles and wore the middle out of the rear.

I'd lean toward running the Susuki psi ratings f & r as long as the tires are not oversized / undersized regardless to the tire's sidewall max psi rating.
I had the same experience. High rear tire pressure quickly wears a flat spot into my rear. Lower pressure (34 to 37, depending on your weight) spreads the load and puts more of the tire in contact with the road, extending overall life. 10,000 km into this experiment and I'm not going back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts