StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had new tires mounted last week. When I got home I noticed the chain a bit too loose. I adjusted it and tightened up rear axle to about 60 ft-lbs. Today riding back from work the bike felt squirrelly and about to slide from under me (going straight). Got to the point it felt like the wheels were about to fall off. Nervously rode to the closest cycle shop and saw the left part of axle all white (not like that when I rode to work), axle nut very loose... I use a fuji-locknut and even stick a cotterpin in the existing hole on the axle. Lucky for the cotterpin, because the nut probably would have spun totally off.

The mechanic told me it could be bad bearings which cause this whole mess. I only have 12000 miles on it. Could it have been when the first shop cleaned the wheel in their "cleaner" ...or could I have tightened the nut too tight? I am totally dumbfounded..... Any ideas welcomed....

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Could it have been when the first shop cleaned the wheel in their "cleaner"
Maybe. Keep in mind that there are three rear bearings; two in the wheel hub and one in the sprocket carrier.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Were the spacers put in properly for the rear wheel ? Might have a lot to do with your problem. Been there done that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rode it a couple times to work without a problem. And the axle did not turn white from excessive heat until yesterday's ride. So I'm leaning towards something I did when I adjusted for chain slack. During adjustment, I also tried to get the sprockets running in the middle of the chain. Would you think an out-of-alignment wheel cause that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About the carrier - the mechanic whom changed my tires put the whole carrier into some cleaning machine. It was spotless when he put everything back together. But I did notice grease/oil seepage emanating from the carrier after the first couple rides.....This might be the root cause?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That would clean the grease out of the sprocket carrier bearing nicely. The shop should be responsible for fixing it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking about going back to the orig mechanic to complain...but am not sure I want to hassle with it.. Right now I am just happy to be alive and in one piece.

Do you believe the axel has been compromised by the heat?

Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
If the wheel was cleaned with the bearings in it, and the bearings were not removed, the lube may have been contaminated. They would self destruct without proper lube eventually.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I'm thinking about going back to the orig mechanic to complain...but am not sure I want to hassle with it.. Right now I am just happy to be alive and in one piece.

Do you believe the axel has been compromised by the heat?

Thanks for the responses
Could be a lot more than just the axel. Go back to the dealer:furious:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not good news right now - guys working on it says that the axle is seized ....I'm starting to think this is going to cost a lot.

·
38,104 Posts
The way we are reading it, whoever washed the grease out of the sprocket carrier bearing should be paying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reason why axle turned white was that the carrier and axle fused together and the axle was spinning while I was riding....thus loosing nut....Thank God i put that "unnecessary" cotter pin...

Need to replace axle, all bearing, seals...etc. The bill is about $200 for parts and $100 for labor.

I called the orig mechanic and he is going to pay for all the parts. Really he should pay for the whole bill.....But I just hate aggravation & will settle for that. At lease he admitted he forgot to grease the bearings after the wash.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes - I should push for full compensation. But I just hate to stress over arguing.

BTW - The new mechanic says he also left the spacer out....

·
38,104 Posts
So he cleaned the grease out of the bearing then subjected the inner race to the full torque of the axle nut. It's hard to imagine a worse scenario.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Reason why axle turned white was that the carrier and axle fused together and the axle was spinning while I was riding....thus loosing nut....Thank God i put that "unnecessary" cotter pin...

Need to replace axle, all bearing, seals...etc. The bill is about $200 for parts and $100 for labor.

I called the orig mechanic and he is going to pay for all the parts. Really he should pay for the whole bill.....But I just hate aggravation & will settle for that. At lease he admitted he forgot to grease the bearings after the wash.
he owes you parts and labor - it was his mistake - a real bonehad move

(like the contractor that pressure washed my edscalator chain - and it does not have o-rings)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He told me to bring the parts invoice and the old parts & he would reimburse me. I'll be happy if he doesn't have "amnesia" next week when I do that. But I do wholeheartily agree he should pay for every cent (& maybe a bit more for scaring/stressing me out)

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
AFTER you get all the money you're gonn'a get out of this guy, file a complaint with the state.
https://app.dca.ca.gov/bar/complaints.asp
"JURISDICTION:
Repairing, servicing or maintaining of automobiles, motorcycles...."

·
Registered
122 Posts
.....BTW - The new mechanic says he also left the spacer out....
If that is true, the (shade tree) mechanic who mounted the tire should have noticed that he had an extra part left over when the job was finished... I guess it's fortunate that he isn't a surgeon... but it could have killed you just the same. Why is he applying solvent to the entire wheel assembly anyway? There's no way you should ever trust this guy with your bike ever again- take it elsewhere, or do the work yourself. At 12K miles your axle components should not be worn. When it comes to compensation, he has it backwards. He should be paying 100% of the labor because he is the reason that the job needs to be done, and about 90% of the parts cost, a pro-rated amount since the parts had 12,000 miles on them and will now be new. Everybody is human and makes mistakes, but an honorable man owns up to it and tries to make good- and "parts only" doesn't cut it. He's lucky that this didn't result in a loss of contol of the bike, and he knows it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts