StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
17,397 Posts
Rear tires get eaten up more on the 1000 for obvious reasons, and depending on road surface/pressure/how you ride will all make an obvious difference.

·
Registered
650 Posts
battle wing needs to last longer than 5700 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That new tire looks fit for Military use! what is it?

FWIW we got about 8,000 miles from our rear BW, (5 months riding)my biggest fear as it wore down was getting a tear or puncture off road, after a nasty rocky section one day it had many little cuts in the remaining tread!! The front was changed also at this time, however I reckon it would have got to 12,000 miles no problem! (and no cuts)
We ride 95% two up which puts a lot of strain on a rear tire, as does engine braking ;) we now have Conti TKC70 and they are proving excellent -though I doubt they,ll last as long as the BW. I got them for their dirt manners :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you really getting 27mpg? Thats very very low. Would make total sense if you are that heavy on the throttle or riding off road regularly

I actually got 29.2 on that tank after I filled up a little bit ago. It was a 116 mile tank at mostly 3 digit speeds. I am very heavy on the throttle and do ride off-road when I can. Next is probably a dark side for my big trip this fall.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That new tire looks fit for Military use! what is it?

FWIW we got about 8,000 miles from our rear BW, (5 months riding)my biggest fear as it wore down was getting a tear or puncture off road, after a nasty rocky section one day it had many little cuts in the remaining tread!! The front was changed also at this time, however I reckon it would have got to 12,000 miles no problem! (and no cuts)

We ride 95% two up which puts a lot of strain on a rear tire, as does engine braking ;) we now have Conti TKC70 and they are proving excellent -though I doubt they,ll last as long as the BW. I got them for their dirt manners :)

We changed the BWs

The BW are a GREAT on road tire. 90/10 the front BW

It's a Michelin anakee 3. I ride very heavy throttle. And lots of engine braking. And my area isn't so twisty.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The abrasiveness of the rock used in the pavement where you ride matters a lot, as well as your speed, load, heat, proper inflation, etc.

The new Bridgestone Battleax A40 is a longer mileage & better traction replacement for the Battlewing.

Avon has their new Trailrider replacing the Distanzia. Low Distanzia prices may be close out prices.

Reactions: Spec

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Are you really getting 27mpg? Thats very very low. Would make total sense if you are that heavy on the throttle or riding off road regularly
Yeah, that's why he's only getting 5700 miles out of a tire.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You will like the A3s. The front tires wear kinda fast though. Typical for me to get 9,000R miles and 6,000F. Like them a lot though. Beat about any 80/20 tire I have found. Much better than the crap TKC 70's I wasted my money on for sure.

Reactions: Big B

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
You will like the A3s. The front tires wear kinda fast though. Typical for me to get 9,000R miles and 6,000F. Like them a lot though. Beat about any 80/20 tire I have found. Much better than the crap TKC 70's I wasted my money on for sure.
TKC 70 is a 60/40 tire, I have just installed the front to match the rear and got these mainly for riding pavement in the rain, and for some dirt with limited mud or sand exposure. Ratings are good for my purpose, but longevity is yet to be seen.

Low mileage on tires is often from riding lots of straight roads, so only the center of the tire gets worn. In that environment I can envision a car tire being ideal.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I ride mostly curvy and crappy country roads. My A3's and the stock Bridgestone Battle wings wore nice and even. No squaring off and the middle was wearing at the same rate as the sides. Neither of these tires wore funny all the way to the wear bars.

The TKC 70 tires were ridden on the same roads and some dirt and gravel. They did fine for a while then the front developed a weird wear pattern. The knobs wore very unevenly and developed an annoying vibration on the front tire that made my hands go numb. The rear squared off badly at about 4,000 miles. I ran the set to the end and got 7,000 out of both front and rear.

I love the looks of the TKC 70, but the wear pattern really sucked. I hope you have better luck. I really liked how they looked when new and figured they were going to be great tires. They were average at best and went away quickly after about half worn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts