StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been posted, if so please delete.

Looks like we have a new option for more off-pavement oriented tires, the Shinko 804/805 combination: Shinko 804/805 Big Block Adventure Touring Tires - RevZilla

I've been seeing a few comments about them on FB and ADVrider. For those of us that are financially challenged, these might be a good fit. Nice beefy lugs, look a little like a Kendra Big Block. I want to see what kind of life they offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Yep, definitely different than the Kenda Big Blocks. Wonder how they get away with naming them the same. Are they the same company underneath?

These cost actual real money (close to $250 a set, about the same as the Kendas). I would hope they actually last longer than the Kendas, which are well-known to be very short-lived.

The Continental TKC80 are about $290 a set, so I suspect a lot of people are just going to cough up the extra $40 to get something proven. But Shinko makes some good stuff -- if these beat or equal the Contis in tread life, they could do well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
Yep, definitely different than the Kenda Big Blocks. Wonder how they get away with naming them the same. Are they the same company underneath?

These cost actual real money (close to $250 a set, about the same as the Kendas). I would hope they actually last longer than the Kendas, which are well-known to be very short-lived.

The Continental TKC80 are about $290 a set, so I suspect a lot of people are just going to cough up the extra $40 to get something proven. But Shinko makes some good stuff -- if these beat or equal the Contis in tread life, they could do well.
Kenda probably never bothered to register the "Big Block" name at the trademark office. :beatnik:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
one chinese company stealing from another. imagine that!
 
  • Like
Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
one chinese company stealing from another. imagine that!
Not restricted to overseas companies...happens all the time in every country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,498 Posts
I really like the 705's but may give the 805's a go next time I need tires. I have an extra set of 705's for my 2 bikes still in the garage so it will be a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
The Shinko big blocks are listed as 60% off road, 40% street while
The Kenda big blocks are listed as 40% off road , 60% street
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,498 Posts
"And both are made up numbers by a marketing guy who doesn't actually ride a motorcycle, he just copied it from another similar looking tire...


Ain't it the truth? Love it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
You do have to wonder who makes up the numbers.
The initial tester does.

The boss says, "Fred, run down to Starbucks and bring me back a pumpkin spice latte". Fred gets on the bike with the newly developed tires, and takes Arlington Road and Picabo Street (who's paying attention here?) for 60% of the journey, gets bored, and rides through a few fields for the other 40% of the trip.

Hence, it's a 60% street, 40% off-road tire. If he spills too much of it, he knows he probably should have done 80% or 95% on the street to prevent over-spillage...and he may give it that ratio instead.

No advanced science needed for the determining the ratios. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
You lost me at Starbucks. Starbucks and Shinko don't really fit in the same universe , do they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
one chinese company stealing from another. imagine that!
All untrue, except maybe the "stealing" part.

Kenda is based in Taiwan (although they have factories in Taiwan, Vietnam, and China) and Shinko is a Japanese company that manufactures tires in South Korea.

Here's a map, in case you failed basic geography.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
All untrue, except maybe the "stealing" part.

Kenda is based in Taiwan (although they have factories in Taiwan, Vietnam, and China) and Shinko is a Japanese company that manufactures tires in South Korea.

Here's a map, in case you failed basic geography.
You beat me to it. I've really been impressed with Shinko's tires over the years. From the Ravens I ran on a Bandit, FJR (I also used some Verges on this bike) and SV650, to the E705s I run on the Strom now.

I think I will pick up a set and try them when my rear 705 goes bad. I've been meaning to go to some kind of blocky tire up front anyway.

These cost actual real money (close to $250 a set, about the same as the Kendas).
Not sure where those numbers came from but I just priced them at 185 a set before taxes/shipping. Quite a big difference between that price and a set of TKCs last I checked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Not sure where those numbers came from but I just priced them at 185 a set before taxes/shipping. Quite a big difference between that price and a set of TKCs last I checked.
I don't really remember where I got my numbers, but yeah, it looks like Revzilla now has them for $185/set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
The rear on the Shinko looks like it would have horrible lateral grip compared to the Kenda big block rear or a TKC. It probably goes pretty good in a straight line though. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
926 Posts
The initial tester does.

The boss says, "Fred, run down to Starbucks and bring me back a pumpkin spice latte". Fred gets on the bike with the newly developed tires, and takes Arlington Road and Picabo Street (who's paying attention here?) for 60% of the journey, gets bored, and rides through a few fields for the other 40% of the trip.

Hence, it's a 60% street, 40% off-road tire. If he spills too much of it, he knows he probably should have done 80% or 95% on the street to prevent over-spillage...and he may give it that ratio instead.

No advanced science needed for the determining the ratios. :mrgreen:
Agree with you Mastery. Stated percentages are qualitative at best...:beatnik:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,498 Posts
"but I just priced them at 185 a set before taxes/shipping"

I mentioned the tires to a friend and his phone search coughed up the similar cost figures you stated. But most places have free shipping.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,359 Posts
You lost me at Starbucks. Starbucks and Shinko don't really fit in the same universe , do they?
Have made several trips to Starbucks, my 705's are wearing nicely. :biggrinjester:
 
1 - 20 of 114 Posts
Top