StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure is this is the best sub-forum but I know I'll get the most eyeballs here. I'm trying to install some siderack mounts I just purchased. I need them installed for this weekend. Or so I think.

I bought SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO sideracks:

SW-MOTECH Siderack

The EVO carrier is the new tubular siderack design by SW-MOTECH, not the discontinued flat mounts. The directions were one side of one sheet of paper. Basically just an exploded diagram.

I have several questions:

1.) The instructions require that I remove both rear blinker housings, extend each back about six inches using supplied metal extenders, and rewire. There are no instructions how to do that. I'm not excited about it. How do I remove the rear blinker housings?

2.) Should I return this item and get something else? I simply want to mount two Givi side cases. I don't really want to relocate the rear blinkers. I'm not sure if I want quick-release (what I purchased) or not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just installed a set of those last week. I did not even touch my rear signals. I had to remove the license plate bracket and drill a couple new holes there but that was it. As far as the racks go. I love being able to detach them and have the bike look nearly stock and I bolted Pelican 1430s directly to them so I still have a way to take my bags off for hotel stays and such. The one thing I dont like about the set up is that any Jo shmo can walk up to your bike with a quarter and walk away with your racks. I ended up purchasing the locks SW sells for the racks but this ramps up the price another $40.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just installed a set of those last week. I did not even touch my rear signals. I had to remove the license plate bracket and drill a couple new holes there but that was it. As far as the racks go. I love being able to detach them and have the bike look nearly stock and I bolted Pelican 1430s directly to them so I still have a way to take my bags off for hotel stays and such. The one thing I dont like about the set up is that any Jo shmo can walk up to your bike with a quarter and walk away with your racks. I ended up purchasing the locks SW sells for the racks but this ramps up the price another $40.
Thanks, but please tell me the rear turn signals were pushed back a tad. That's my experience. SW-MOTECH even recommends moving the rear turn signals back with their kit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got some used and they were the flat rack type which i just installed. So I cannot help you with the blinker question. I do like the quick lock feature though. And i also have the locking devices for each rack. The flat rack version did not have to move the blinkers back, only had to lower the licence plate bracket/refectors.

Did you have to get Givi adapters for the rack? How much are they?

If you dont need quick disconnect, why not just get the givi side rack. They are probably less expensive then a motech rack with lock and givi adapters (if that matters to you).

·
Registered
221 Posts
Are the new tubular SW motech racks symmetrical on the dl650, like the old ones on the DL1000? (not closer on the left seen from the back)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have installed two sets of these racks and had to move the turn signals both times. We are using Pelican 1550's and before I installed the second rack I checked carefully to see if I had to move the signals and determined the cases would interfere with them if I did not. I also figured out if I had different cases I probably could have left them where they are so you may not have to move them. loosely mount the bracket that goes under the rear rack and hold up your rack and cases to eyeball where everything lines up, hopefully you won't have to move them.

Moving them is really not that big a deal it just takes a little time. To get to the turn signals you have to remove the entire rear brake light housing. There are two screws one on either side of the fender that have to be removed, the one on the muffler side is a pain in the XXX to get to. Once you have them out pull the sides away from the mounting points and lift up. They are kind of stiff but it will come off. Then you can unplug the original signals and tail light and disconnect the seat release cable. You will have to cut off the ends of the quick disconnect for the signals only and splice in more wire to reconnect them. I also had to drill holes in the fender to route the wire through to be reconnected. Before you relocate the signals go to the hardware store and replace the nut that is provided for the new mount. The one that comes with the kit is one of those that is deformed slightly on one end so it will lock in place. It took two men and a mule to put the darn thing on. I can't imagine why they use something like this but the do. Do not remove both signals at the same time. If you do the metal bracket that secures the tail light gets loose and is more difficult to deal with so do them one at a time. After you have everything wired up and mounted reattach the seat release cable and plug in the wiring harness you disconnected to remove the fender. Then reverse the steps you took to remove the fender. You may also want to check to make sure the signals and tail light work properly before you put the screws back. Just take your time and be patient you can do this and if you run into trouble this board is a wealth of information, that's how I learned to do this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Query for DL1000 and EVO racks

Hi,
I am also trying to fit the quick lock EVO racks to my DL1000.
When I put the quick lock onto the rack and the rack is off the bike, is it normal to be able to rotate the EVO rack in a circular motion by hand? (it doesn't move backwards and forwards, just rotationally that you wouldn't get if it was tightened by a screw and bolt).

I have the quick lock through the frame mountain bracket, then the special washer pushed through, then the rack, then I've done the 1/2 (ish) turn to 'quick lock' the two pins on the side to the funny shaped fixer on the bracket.

Bear with me - its the first time I've tried to do anything to the bike and want to get it right.

I think once the four fixing points are on the bike this won't be an issue as the rack wouldn't be able to rotate - it just seems kinda loose when I can rotate it by hand? (NB: I can rotate it when I have the rack on its own, quick locked to the frame mountain bracket, off the bike)

I'm sure this is far easier than I'm making it out to be ;->

See (see Motohaus Powersports Limited Quick Lock Evo Accessories to know what I'm talking about and http://www.bikegear.co.za/att/kft_05_294_100.pdf at the top right for the fitting instructions)......

Also - I guess they are meant to be easy to remove unless you have the pannier locked onto the rack!?! Seems insecure but its the first pannier set up I've bought (SW Motech Trax)...but I guess it's all in the name. Quick Lock (and un-lock!)

Thanks in advance from a newbie!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moving them is really not that big a deal it just takes a little time. To get to the turn signals you have to remove the entire rear brake light housing. There are two screws one on either side of the fender that have to be removed, the one on the muffler side is a pain in the XXX to get to. Once you have them out pull the sides away from the mounting points and lift up. They are kind of stiff but it will come off. Then you can unplug the original signals and tail light and disconnect the seat release cable. You will have to cut off the ends of the quick disconnect for the signals only and splice in more wire to reconnect them. I also had to drill holes in the fender to route the wire through to be reconnected. Before you relocate the signals go to the hardware store and replace the nut that is provided for the new mount. The one that comes with the kit is one of those that is deformed slightly on one end so it will lock in place. It took two men and a mule to put the darn thing on. I can't imagine why they use something like this but the do. Do not remove both signals at the same time. If you do the metal bracket that secures the tail light gets loose and is more difficult to deal with so do them one at a time. After you have everything wired up and mounted reattach the seat release cable and plug in the wiring harness you disconnected to remove the fender. Then reverse the steps you took to remove the fender. You may also want to check to make sure the signals and tail light work properly before you put the screws back. Just take your time and be patient you can do this and if you run into trouble this board is a wealth of information, that's how I learned to do this.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for.

I'm not sure if I will move the rear blinkers back. The racks themselves only push the blinkers back a fraction of an inch. However, I wonder if they will rattle. The Givi cases don't interfere with the blinkers. I'm inclined to live with it, but those German engineers should have known better!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some used and they were the flat rack type which i just installed. So I cannot help you with the blinker question. I do like the quick lock feature though. And i also have the locking devices for each rack. The flat rack version did not have to move the blinkers back, only had to lower the licence plate bracket/refectors.

Did you have to get Givi adapters for the rack? How much are they?

If you dont need quick disconnect, why not just get the givi side rack. They are probably less expensive then a motech rack with lock and givi adapters (if that matters to you).
I like the quick release feature. I only want the side cases when I travel overnight.

The Givi adapters are $20 at twistedthrottle.com. I can post a link if you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I put the quick lock onto the rack and the rack is off the bike, is it normal to be able to rotate the EVO rack in a circular motion by hand?
No, it should be fairly rigid.

I installed the bracket that goes underneath where a top case would go first. Make sure everything seats properly. Look under the rear plate. There should be no gaps. Tighten it completely.

Next, I installed the bracket that attaches behind the license plate. Center it and tighten it completely.

Install, but don't tighten the brackets under the seat and behind the passenger foot pegs.

With those brackets loose, I attached the quick release frame. Once the frame was in place, I tightened those brackets. Everything should fit properly and the racks should be fairly rigid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think everything will be pretty rigid once I put things in place.

Due to my general lack of confidence/ability fixing anything together I looked at the (probably ridiculously simple) quick locks and thought – what the….?
Initially it seemed weird to me you had to push the two pins on the quick lock through the special washers, so when I was back inside I sat with just the mounting bracket, the quick lock, the washer and the rack and put them together.

It was when these parts were sitting independently that I can rotate the mounting and the pannier around the quick lock (after I have twisted the quick lock to ‘catch’ the parts on the rack – they were not attached to anything else at this point.

So I guess turning the question around – if you had yours off all the mounts on the bike and only had the quick lock, mount and rack attached together on your driveway, would it rotate around?
I’m sure this won’t happen when it’s all mounted – it just didn’t feel ‘right’.

This would also mean that a thieving git would only need one screwdriver to remove the rack - if I left it without the panniers lock onto the box.

Thanks for the rapid response. I have the underseat mount, footpeg area mounts, and the mounting bar across the toprack area on - I just have to make the holes behind the numberplate for that mount.

Maybe I’ll fit it, and get the dealer to check it over when I get it serviced on Thursday!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fitted my rack

Well despite my newbie queries I had another go tonight and fitted the rack. It is all ridiculously simple - just I hate presuming things - I have no confidence when I have to pick up a tool!

I did manage to snap one of the bolts that attach to the rack to put the pannier onto - overtightened it...by hand! So off to the diy shop tomorrow then hopefull it'll be done.

It's like a bus though - I reckon a DL1000 with 45L SW Motech Trax panniers, with an SW Motech EVO Rack comes in at 110cm wide!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think they should warn you about this...I'm sure I read somewhere you weren't meant to be over 100cm in Germany or something. But then in hindsight I should've bought the smaller ones and had a rollbag on top rather than having it in my newbie's mind I had to utilise the existing topbox.

Thanks for the info - sorry if I hijacked the thread. I'll post photos in the relevant place once I get it all completed.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
This would also mean that a thieving git would only need one screwdriver to remove the rack
There is a key lock accessory for the quick lock system that makes it pretty much impossible to remove the racks.
From Twisted Throttle site:
"In addition, optional key locks (sold separately) are available to lock the racks to the bike, with the key unlocking a pair of special quick-release fasteners which secure the racks on each side."

I have them installed on my bike. Without the key the knobs just turn freely and do not turn the quick lock pin that holds the rack to the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep, I had to move my signals too with the EVO racks (Wee). Worst part about the install was acquiescing that I had to get that muffler side allen out of the tail plastic...or stepping on the soldering iron barefoot. They just about tied.

I would almost rather have longer signal brackets than they send, but I'm using cases a bit larger than the norm, iM2600. My biggest decision was/is where to put the locking knobs. Right now they're on the top/rear mount tabs and I'm hoping they aren't a clearance problem if I eventually do a top box.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If they are anything like the older QL racks, it won't be a problem. You can see them well below the trunk.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep, very similar. I'm leaning towards the amotostuff plate and an E45 but I'm still in the discovery phase ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
[/IMG]
The indicator brackets supplied only have to be used in certain countries, it a law about the position of them in relation to the rest of the bikes hardware/ luggage.
I didn't want to move my indicators so I just shortened the stem on the rear left one by about an 20mm.
Check out the pic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts