StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the new Supercheap advert promoting motorcycle awareness.

Let's hope they run it often.

Thanks to the MCC and motorcycle clubs Australia wide, as well as the general motorcycle community who got together to give Supercheap a wake up call with regards to inappropriate advertising.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
I haven't been in their shops since they ran the last ad and I have no intention on ever going there again as I told them in an email. There are plenty of other places to buy the same things at, quite often better prices anyway.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been in their shops since they ran the last ad and I have no intention on ever going there again as I told them in an email. There are plenty of other places to buy the same things at, quite often better prices anyway.

Me neither.
But it shows the pressure motorcyclists can bring to bear on issues that affect them.

Some pressure on government and the road traffic authorities might help resolve some of the safety issues and lack of consideration shown to riders as road users when new laws and traffic control measures are planned or introduced.

We need to unite on common issues more often.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Supercheap.

Haven't seen the latest commercial but it appears the are trying to make amends.
The first ad.---an effort by the fairy types in advertising, but I wont go over old grounds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
They have a point, but they could have gone about it in a way that isn't going to get every cager foaming at the mouth and rabidly chanting anti-biker matras.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They have a point, but they could have gone about it in a way that isn't going to get every cager foaming at the mouth and rabidly chanting anti-biker matras.
Half the problem is that lane filtering IS NOT ILLEGAL in some States here in Australia [in fact I searched all the gazetted laws for NSW and can't find anywhere that says it is illegal here, yet most people are under the impression that it is].

Supercheap made it seem as if we are in the wrong by filtering, no matter where we live in Oz.

A Motorcycle Awareness advert is better than one that gives the impression all motorcyclists are law breakers- even though they may be doing something that is fully legal in the State where they live.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's illegal in the ACT, or at least thats what the L course instructor taught me a few years back, so here the ad makes sense.

But ads like this just crystallises every cagers belief that all motorcyclists are dickheads, despite the fact that we're probably the most generous users on the road with the charity rides and fundraising we do.

·
Registered
608 Posts
FFS, let's not turn this thread into another one on lane splitting and how SuperCheap got it wrong. It's all been said before, over and over again, in many other threads.

Flogging a dead horse.

Haven't seen the new ad yet, but if it's an improvement, then good on them, I say.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FFS, let's not turn this thread into another one on lane splitting and how SuperCheap got it wrong. It's all been said before, over and over again, in many other threads.

Flogging a dead horse.

Haven't seen the new ad yet, but if it's an improvement, then good on them, I say.
You are right Steve.

I only posted this thread to acknowledge that Supercheap have done something in an attempt to make amends for the first poorly thought out advert.

This was not intended to start things all over again [though it seems there are some who were not aware of the first advert. and resulting furore that activated the MCC and bike clubs/riders across the nation to react on the issue].

At least Supercheap are trying to atone to some degree.

[Kiwi, if this gets out of hand you may want to lock the thread].

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
More companies need to be pro motorcycle and make it known , but lots of comapnies are run by idiots ( having meet a few ) or employee idiots .

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
[Kiwi, if this gets out of hand you may want to lock the thread].

There is nothing here that would even remotely generate that sort of response.
If people don't want to read it they don't have to click on the title. It's quite simple really.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is nothing here that would even remotely generate that sort of response.
If people don't want to read it they don't have to click on the title. It's quite simple really.
I wouldn't have thought it would get overly exciting either......but it was a heated topic at the time.

I'm hoping this just shows us motorcyclists do have a voice worth listening to.

Cheers mate

1 - 17 of 17 Posts