StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't have photos yet, but I have recently had the pleasure to follow the Adventure Tech fork brace with a couple of additional items!

There is a new kickstand foot, redesigned especially for the G-STROM!
Footpeg lowering brackets were a cinch to install with the new, re-designed brackets, and I'm going to finally get to check my speedo against my gps...

...yeah, you guessed it.

A gps/ramball accessory mount that installs above the gauge cluster!
I don't have all of my electrical mods done yet, so I'll run my gps off the internal battery for now.

I will post some photos soon!

You can contact Rick or Gloria via the Adventure Tech post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Henery - Did you order that stuff for a 2012 Wee? Those items dont show as available on their website and as I talked withe them on the phone last week, the footpeg lowering kit had received a change and wasn't shipping. I'd order them all, if they were available.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that they have been proven to work, I think that you will have better luck attempting to order.

I would imagine that they will be updating the information about the availability of the parts very soon.

You might want to give them another shout.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I put the peg lowering kit on my 2012 about two weeks ago and it seems to fit just fine, and they confirmed that it would work with the 2012.

I wonder what changes they made?

The fork brace and mirror extenders also fit just fine. I am waiting for the side stand foot to be available, it shows as "coming soon" on the website.

Pictures Man! We need pictures! :mod_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the peg lowering kit on my 2012 about two weeks ago and it seems to fit just fine, and they confirmed that it would work with the 2012.

I wonder what changes they made?

The fork brace and mirror extenders also fit just fine. I am waiting for the side stand foot to be available, it shows as "coming soon" on the website.

Pictures Man! We need pictures! :mod_biggrin:
The change to the footpeg lowering bracket on the shifter side was to machine an arc out of the bottom of the bracket to clear the interference (on some bikes) of the backside of the shift lever pivot.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photos, as promised

Kickstand foot

Footpeg Lowering Brackets

GPS/ram ball accessory mount

from the front (tough to get a good shot through the windscreen)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I really like that GPS mount, I have the twist and tilt RAM mount and cradle from my other bike, so I could just clamp onto that mount. Very nice.

I assume my foot peg lowering brackets have the arch cutout that you speak of.

I also like that cross brace on your handelbars, does it help anything, or just look cool?

Too many goodies, too few $$....

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the pics! I really like that GPS mount...

I also like that cross brace on your handelbars, does it help anything, or just look cool?
The mount places the GPS in a great location. It's easy to see, easy to reach, somewhat protected by the windscreen, though it's not necessary.

The cross bar on the handlebars is necessary because the bars are aluminum which is weak compared to steel.
These ProTaper bars are not nearly as angled as the stock bars, which helps my wrists from getting sore.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Lowering bracket clearance

The change to the footpeg lowering bracket on the shifter side was to machine an arc out of the bottom of the bracket to clear the interference (on some bikes) of the backside of the shift lever pivot.
I believe I was the first to contact RR about the shifter issue when installing lowering plates. After inspecting my '12 at home I noticed the shift lever looked misaligned. Upon removal I found that the welded in threaded insert for the shifter was not perpendicular with the bracket. It also protruded from the rear of the plate where it should be flush to avoid contact with the lowering plate. I exchanged it for a new one. The insert was square in the new plate but also protruded slightly from the rear of the footpeg mount. I assumed that since no obvious changes occured in that part on the '12 vs. '11 it was a production tolerance problem. After receiving two problem mounts I expected that more may show up in others bikes. I then cut a relief into the lowering plate and installed it with no issues. To avoid RR having a future complaint situation I contacted Rick. He had not seen the problem on '12 s at that time. Also, if anyone is moving from a non current V-Strom 650 to the new model and wants to transfer a lowering kit to the '12 it's a simple mod that's obvious when doing the change. Some material removal is required either on the oem bracket or the lowering plate. Regardless of which part gets material removed it's hidden when installed so it's not an appearance worry.

·
Vendor
5,992 Posts
Tony D P your are absolutely correct! After you alerted me Henry volunteered to beta test a simple modification to the shape of the shifter side plate that will now be included in all plates for all models and years. It just makes it easier for us to do it that way.

I have a few of the large 2012 kickstand feet in black aluminum. The steel units are about a week and half out from being ready to ship.

We have a fully functional GPS mount design for the 2012 650 on Henry's bike. I am still toying with the cosmetics a little, but have high confidence the final design will be ready for the mail in about a week.

Henry and I are working on an "around the ignition switch plate" for mounting sockets, meters, and switches similar to my existing auxiallary shelf for the pre-2012.

FYI, my buddy Dennis has come up with a passenger peg lowering device for all years/all models. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,17717.0.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, I just got my forkbrace in today. I took it out for about 25 km and have nothing special to report regarding cornering. If there is any difference it is minor as I took some wicked turns at 50-60 mph and did not notice anything earth shattering, however, I will put it through the test tomorrow, hopefully with some wind.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well, I just got my forkbrace in today. I took it out for about 25 km and have nothing special to report regarding cornering. If there is any difference it is minor as I took some wicked turns at 50-60 mph and did not notice anything earth shattering, however, I will put it through the test tomorrow, hopefully with some wind.
I am always very, very sceptical about the supposed(s) benifit(s) of this.
And when in a forum i read someone telling he saw some difference, one word come to my mind: PLACEBO

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think it is more a matter of the 2012 having a stiffer suspension than the previous generation and perhaps not needing a fork brace as much.

I've got one on my bike and I'd say the overall handling improvement is slight, but the handling of really gusty winds and road irregularities, like those half lane patches they do here that leaves a parallel ridge in the middle of lane, and oncoming truck blasts is certainly better and less unnerving.

So it's not a huge improvement to the 2012, but still a nice solid improvement.

I'm looking forward to ordering some more stuff from Adventure Tech!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I installed the RR fork brace on my DL/1000 on Monday. I took a 485 mile test ride on Tuesday. Test ride included interstate, two lane paved, back Texas hill country roads 337, 336 & 335 (Twisted sisters). I rode hard in the hill country at times cornering between 70-80mph. This is what I noticed. Normal riding didn't notice anything special. Interstate: Wind buffeting from passing semi's or wind gusts the front was definitely more stable, no side to side movement. The front tire felt more "planted"/stable. Again speeds of 70-85mph. Back roads: On rough bumpy uneven roads I experienced the same as above. The front tire stayed better planted to the road with more stability less hopping/wobble. I believe it was well worth the $87 investment.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got one on my bike and I'd say the overall handling improvement is slight, but the handling of really gusty winds and road irregularities, like those half lane patches they do here that leaves a parallel ridge in the middle of lane, and oncoming truck blasts is certainly better and less unnerving!
That is what I will test out tomorrow. On my way home from work, I am always engulfed with massive side winds making it difficult at time to keep the bike on the road. I am hoping that I will put the bike up against that tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think you'll find in the cross winds that the bike still reacts, you can't change the basic physics involved, but it's a more controlled, smoother reaction, the bike leans into the wind, but it's not as sudden and dramatic...as I said, less unnerving.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It very well may be that Suzuki has finally got the front end right on the 2012 Wee. On my 2007, the fork brace took the bike from almost unridable on the interstate to very planted. Made a big difference.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have ordered one from him. I just file things like this under the " it cant hurt " category and at that price it really cant. So if there is any benefit at all it pays for itself. Even if it is placebo!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, I have just driven 275 km in very windy conditions, which is what I was hoping for. The fork brace really DOES make a difference with the wind. I have driven the same stretch without the brace, and today with the brace, with identical wind conditions. The difference is VERY noticeable, and I would say that this really is a must have item:thumbup:? The only thing negatively is that I find the screws could be thicker. I just keep thinking of them snapping. Never the less, I am really happy with the wind results

1 - 20 of 31 Posts