StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, everyone!

Last night at about 6:00pm CST, I pulled the trigger on a new 2011 DL650 V-Strom in black at a local dealer. By the time I got to work this morning, I had 130 mile on the odometer and I am grinning from ear to ear.

Oh, BTW, I traded my Harley Road King for the Wee-Strom. Bought my first bike in 1996 -- a Harley and have never owned another brand until now. I've got a boat-load of Harley "stuff" -- branded shirts, ball caps, riding gear, boots... you name it, I've got it. I'll continue to wear it all proudly while I ride my new love, the WeeStrom! Boy, are my Harley friends gonna be shocked... :hurray:

Long story short, I got the Adventure/Touring bug last May. Took me till now to get serious about looking, evaluate my options and make my decision.

You know the things I love most?

1. Purchase $$$: In total, out the door, the Wee-Strom in total cost me less than the depreciation on the Harley I traded. It was only 19 months old!
  2. Operating/Maintenance $$$: everything is less expensive with the Wee-Strom.
    • Regular Unleaded (Premium for the Harley).
    • Tires: Half the price of the Harley.
    • Gas mileage: 40-50% higher than my Harley.
    • Fuel range: greater than my Harley.
    • Accessories: More functional rather than costmetic and less $$$ than Harley
In all, I am glad to be a part of World Stromination!

Thanks to my V-Strom buddy, fire fox, for suggesting the Wee-Strom, encouraging me in my search and going to the dealer with me for the test ride and final negotiations.

RickC, Newly Minted StromTrooper
--Let's take the world by Strom!

·
Banned
158 Posts
Howdy Howdy!!!
Welcome fellow Stromtrooper!!!

Sold my 2001 FLSTF and bought a 2007 DL650 for all the reasons you sited and then some. Best decision I ever made as I went from putting 1500 miles a year on a bike to 12000 miles. My wife now rides the Wee and I bought a Multistrada so we are truly an adventurous couple. Enjoy your black beaut.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I've got a boat-load of Harley "stuff" -- branded shirts, ball caps, riding gear, boots... you name it, I've got it.[/I]
For an apparel company, they make pretty good bikes.

Your soon-to-be former Harley friends will stop calling you for rides to the malt shop, it will be just as well as you'll be headed across the continent to wake up in a different time zone.

What really bugs the Tee Shirt crowd is when you have a hot lady bedecked in HD garb on the back of your V-Strom, it really gets their panties in a wad, I know this from experience.

Welcome,

Norm

PS, Try not to hyperventilate

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Howdy Howdy!!!
Sold my 2001 FLSTF and bought a 2007 DL650 for all the reasons you sited and then some.
:thumbup: Same here... a LOT more reasons. I just thought I'd spare the forum my normal verbosity on my first post. :beatnik:

Howdy Howdy!!!
...I went from putting 1500 miles a year on a bike to 12000 miles.
Since May 2005, when I started riding seriously, I've logged 89,000 miles on a veritable boat load of HD iron (6 bikes, all told) that I've owned. (Can you say, $$$??? :jawdrop:) 44,000 of those miles have been in the last 36 months. So, I'm riding about 1,000 miles/month, though not all months are created equal.

What can I say? I love to ride. Commuting... Touring... Pleasure rides...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For an apparel company, they make pretty good bikes.
:yesnod: True. Two of my most prized pieces of riding apparel are made by Harley.

My cold-weather riding suit is a 6-year-old FXRG medium-weight leather and GoreTex riding suit. (Yes, I get to ride year-round here. Those of you who can't, be jealous if you must!) It's built like a tank. I've replaced one zipper (it has about 20!) in six years. Otherwise, I've just worn it. Of course, at the price I paid, it should be changing my oil, washing my ride, checking the tire pressure at every stop and paying my insurance!

My rain suit, is the H-D goretex rain suit. It's covered in Harley logo-ry, but it's been rated one of the best in the industry for several years running. I bought mine (at a discount) just before they rebranded it as FXRG and doubled the price. It was still pricey...

Your soon-to-be former Harley friends will stop calling you for rides to the malt shop, it will be just as well as you'll be headed across the continent to wake up in a different time zone.
I've been doing a fair amount of long-distance touring the last few years. Started in 2006 with a trip to Myrtle Beach Bike Week. Best was a 4500-mile, 15-day trek that took us around Lake Superior on the way to Sturgis in '08. Looking forward to some really big adventures, though. Alaska is on my radar as is a tip-to-tip ride.

What really bugs the Tee Shirt crowd is when you have a hot lady bedecked in HD garb on the back of your V-Strom, it really gets their panties in a wad, I know this from experience.
LOL! Well, my wife will fit that bill when I get her on the V-Strom. She loves the aesthetics of the Wee and is anxious to hop on and ride... when the mean temps get above 50 degrees... I'll let you know how that works out.

It's hard, but I'm trying...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love the write ups guys ....

I live in Australia and we do ride all year round though our "winter " is the best time ...:hurray:

Summer is too bloody hot ..unless you are happy to ride in Squid wear Singlet shorts and thongs :jawdrop:....I won't ..

Ride Safe !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Summer is too bloody hot ..unless you are happy to ride in Squid wear Singlet shorts and thongs :jawdrop:....I won't ..
...ditto...

Yours truly in singlet shorts and a thong... well... that's an image that NOBODY needs. Trust me...

·
Registered
522 Posts
... Your soon-to-be former Harley friends will stop calling you for rides to the malt shop, ...

You'll actually find that you will quit calling them for rides as much because 45mph on the straightest roads you can find for the 20 minutes it takes to get to the malt shop unutterably boring.

And they will find winding through the twisties at brisk pace for 3 -4 straight hours (or until you need fuel) too tiring, too difficult, too intense, too fast and too long.

Your going to love the new Scoot.!!!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Just wait til you hit your first dirt road, you used to merely ride by before.....lotsa cool stuff out there, in the dusty parts of the grid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll actually find that you will quit calling them for rides as much because 45mph on the straightest roads you can find for the 20 minutes it takes to get to the malt shop unutterably boring.
Gave up riding with THAT Harley crowd a long time ago. I hate it when the food (or the alcohol) is more important than the ride.

And they will find winding through the twisties at brisk pace for 3 -4 straight hours (or until you need fuel) too tiring, too difficult, too intense, too fast and too long.
Yep... The reason I haven't had a lot of Harley riding pals the last few years.

Your going to love the new Scoot.!!!
Already do! And I think it's gonna be one of those long-term growing love affairs!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wait til you hit your first dirt road, you used to merely ride by before.....lotsa cool stuff out there, in the dusty parts of the grid.
I have a couple of tales, joker, about finding myself unexpectedly on a road like that on my Road King. :jawdrop: Not a pleasant experience.

No doubt, the roads were *way* cool. The problem was the 850-lb beast I was trying to manage on those roads.

I look forward to getting back to those roads on the V-Strom. :hurray:

OH YEAH!!! :biggrinjester:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts