StromTrooper banner

New Strommer with handlebar fitment issues

1109 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Chefdave
Hi all! Been lurking and gleaning a lot of useful info here for quite awhile. I've searched quite a bit but can't quite find the answer to this.

Picked up an immaculate (almost) fully farkled used K5 Wee a few weeks ago. This past weekend I decided to take it on a 2 day 450 mile 2 lane back road run. I was extremely impressed with the comfort of the bike and love the range,especially coming from my prior bike (Suzuki Intruder 800).

I did have one noticeable issue and that was that I was quite stretched out to grip the handlebars. However, if I scooted all the way forward on the seat then the reach seemed to be perfect. This resulted in quite a bit of back pain and soreness post ride, especially in my Trapezius. In comparison, the reach on my Intruder with stock buckhorn bars is amazingly comfortable and relaxed.

Would risers (up or up/back) or the ATV High Bars remedy this? It seems that most people that add these are on the taller side and I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam.

Unfortunately, I've got a 650 mile trip this weekend so I'm just going to have to deal with it for now. :(

On another note, I once again avoided a painful encounter with the dreaded left turner today. I think that it convinced me to add a Stebel.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Sounds like the up and back risers would work well for you. I'm not sure if there is a version that just moves them back and not up. You could look into the ROX adjustable risers.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
i have the sw-motech 1" up and 1" back risers on mine, and it helped my lower back a bunch. definitely more comfortable seating position. just check out all your cable lengths and other control/wire lengths before and after you install.

side note to this, i was given the risers by my uncle who loved the position, but he said that the upright position actually made his back hurt worse on long distances because of the "impact" on his spine from being more straight up and down. so he just played with the bars by rolling them forward and back to find it comfortable for him.

my uncle and i are both 5' 10" with about a 30" inseam.

· Registered
1,596 Posts
You may be predisposed to trapezoid pain from something you do where you work too. Check this site for info. As you read through you will see some help full stretches. At the point in the stretches where it says (something like) lower your head down toward your left shoulder, if you feel a sharp pain in the trap on the left, you know it's in trouble. Same for the right side. The stretches should help:fineprint:Trapezius Muscle Pain | eHow.com If you can get someone to do the pressure point release for you (Myotherapy) you may be able to eliminate the pain (memory) for a week or two.:thumbup:

· Registered
392 Posts
two things

Two things to try, one's free, the other is cheap. First don't straight arm the bars, it's what's causing the pain. You're transfering the shocks from the forks right to your shoulders. Yes you'll have a bit more lean but flex your arms and hold your bod up with your abs. Side benifit is you make the steering much more responsive.

Second, might try a cramp buster, fits on the bars and you then don't have to hold on as tight, use hand/wrist pressure to twist the throttle. Some like them, some don't, about $10 to find out.

Bill H.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First don't straight arm the bars, it's what's causing the pain. You're transfering the shocks from the forks right to your shoulders.
That is spot on. Due to the long reach, my arms are mostly straight and I'm tensing up in my shoulders/traps (on the plus side it might be good isometric exercise). It takes a real conscious effort not to...unless I scoot as far forward as possible then it's perfect. I ride with a light grip though and use a throttle lock whenever prudent to rest the hand.

I've rotated the bars down about 45* and that seems to have made a bit of a difference. If that doesn't work out, my next move will be the up/back risers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.