Strom Trooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm relativity new to riding (3 years). I Just got a 2014 DL1000. I have a long trip coming up about 7000 km and was wondering what the best tools to take are. I don't want to over pack but also don't want to be left stranded.

Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I did a 5k mile (8k km) ride last year. I took the following tools:
Tools take off the front & rear wheels
Adjust chain
Remove side body panels
spark plug socket
Flat repair kit with compressor
Backup hand pump
Zip ties
Duct tape
Spare fuses

The only thing that went wrong on my bike was a dead battery so that was easy. However we had issues with my buddy's bike so I was glad I had all that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
I bring my long torque wrench and sockets for front and rear wheels so chain can be adjusted, also the small wrenches for that.

- Tire pump
- Plug kit
- Assorted wrenches and sockets. Have a look around the bike for sizes. bolts for calipers, one for oil drain plug, muffler bolts, engine casing, bolts around handle bars. You could look at a multi tool for all of this too, but some of that stuff is more gimmick than actually useful when your trying to undo a bolt held on with red loctite in behind something, much easier with the right size socket.
- Blue and Red loctite.
- WD-40
- Lemon pledge
- Microfiber cloths
- tie wraps, lots of sizes
- spare fuses
- small bundle of spare wire
- crimp tool and some crimp type connectors
- electrical tape
- duct tape

The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
I made a similar journey a couple years ago. Only had to but a rear tire. And oil.
You have a new bike, I'd just gas and go. I have tools and a pump and camping gear. Only needed the camping gear.
If I'm doing a thousand mile weekend, I make sure i have good tires.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Just tyre plugs, compressor, cable ties and a credit card.

If your heading off road fit brake snakes to your gear leaver and brake pedal, Bakbutsers, bash plate and engine guards then enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
WD-40 to clean your chain and something to lube chain.
Omit chain cleaning. Lube the chain every other tank of gas, or every tank in the wet or in grit.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
The Vee is stone axe reliable. Not much goes wrong with them. As others have said, being able to remove your wheels is a good thing should you get a flat tire. A tire plug kit and infiltrator is a must.

My rule of thumb is that the most important tools you can carry are a credit card and a cell phone (unless you are out of signal range). Don't forget your 12v charger!

One of the biggest pluses to owning a Hondakawayamazuki is the dealer networks. You're never far from one and parts are plentiful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Vee is stone axe reliable. Not much goes wrong with them. As others have said, being able to remove your wheels is a good thing should you get a flat tire. A tire plug kit and infiltrator is a must.

My rule of thumb is that the most important tools you can carry are a credit card and a cell phone (unless you are out of signal range). Don't forget your 12v charger!

One of the biggest pluses to owning a Hondakawayamazuki is the dealer networks. You're never far from one and parts are plentiful.
That's what finally made me decide on mine. Love the Italian bikes but have always had trouble with servicing places, or getting parts for them in a short time frame. Could never just drive down the road and get parts. At least that's one thing I don't have to worry about with the V.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts