StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I just picked up my first V-strom this week, a 2014 DL1000 Adventure. Looking forward to getting to know the bike and many of you. I'm based in Mesa, AZ.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was a kid (and I'm nothing close to a kid anymore...although I still feel like it). While I have taken time away from motorcycles throughout my life, a few year back I got back into dirt bike riding, and man had those things gotten good since the early 80's, and the rest was history. I was having so much fun, I decided to add a few more bikes to the stable, and sold a few along the way as well. Meanwhile my teenage boys got into it with me, and now we're crazy hooked, both on and off road. Since selling all of our motocross bikes (I was most recently on a YZ450), we've started really missing those, too (the two dual sport DRZ's that we have aren't scratching the gnarliest of the dirt bike itches), so we'll likely be adding some of those back in as well. We may have a problem. :surprise:

Anyway, wanted to introduce myself here and show off my latest addition.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,769 Posts
Welcome. You obviously have the disease real bad. :wink2: Happy adventures.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome Bill! I'm just south of you in Chandler and have the same bike in red. My 17yr old son rides too but not an ADV bike. There are quite a few Stromers here in AZ.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Congrats and safe riding.

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
Hola, sounds like you and the boys have fun on two wheels. That's a good thing.
Your new to you bike sure looks nice.
"I'm nothing close to a kid anymore"

I don't see too much grey there yet so you still can be called 'kid'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the Forum. Now for some 50/50 tyres... :grin:
I'm running Conti TKC 80s on one DRZ, and my son has Dunlop D-606s on the other (I had the 606s on before the Conti's, too). I guess I'm going to have to research here what people are using for the Strom. LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome Bill! I'm just south of you in Chandler and have the same bike in red. My 17yr old son rides too but not an ADV bike. There are quite a few Stromers here in AZ.
I'm sure I'll start seeing some of you now that my brain is looking for V-stroms. I was happy my 18 year old son just got rid of his R6 a week or two ago...so he's riding a dual sport mostly now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:cool:
I don't see too much grey there yet so you still can be called 'kid'.
Full Disclosure...that's the same profile picture I've been using for a couple of years now...so the beard has a lot more grey in it than it did then. I'm still dark on top...but I'm guessing that's going to start changing soon, too. The grey is moving north. :frown2: Maybe I should take a new picture. Nah... :cool:

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Greetings from Gilbert! Nice ride! Hope to see you on the road!

Reactions: billwil

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My son is on a CB300f. Are you in all the local FB groups as well? Some great local big bike friendly rides each week.
No, I'm not. I'm not sure what they are called. Send me some names of the groups? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't even have to come down. Here are the 10 steps to learning to ride in the dirt, by Billwil. :cool:

1) Buy a race dirt bike (i.e. motocross or enduro that is newer than about 2003, and if you REALLY want to learn how to shift, make it a 2-stroke)
1a: Buy knee and elbow armor (If you ride in Arizona and not on a track, don't consider this one optional)
2) Change the oil in the bike.
3) Ride. A lot.
4) Unlearn a bunch of the habits you have from the street (i.e. go easy on the front brake...do you love chewing on dirt or something?)
5) Change the oil in the bike.
6) Ride more and fall a lot (if you're not tipping over, you're probably not getting much better).
7) Change the oil in the bike (and maybe some plastics, too).
8) Ride more and get light on the bike (learn to let it do it's thing)
9) Change the oil in the bike.
10) Finally believe from experience that deep sand = pin it (and learn that, in fact, the age-old adage is true; "When in doubt, throttle it out.")

The end result of this is a huge trust in modern dirt bikes, a realization that you can conquer a lot of stuff that scared you last month, and a whole bunch of fun! Oh, and possibly a couple of trips to the ER, but who's counting (and who cares when it's that much fun)? :cheers2:

Reactions: Gert
1 - 19 of 19 Posts