StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking here for a year or so after considering a 650 v-strom. All of my previous rides, with the exception of 60s bikes, have all been shaft driven tourers. I knew this bike would be different from what I am used to, but the drive home from the dealership raised a couple of concerns. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, I could tiptoe or ball of feet at lights, no problem once underway, wrist got a little tired on the way back, used to cruise control. First things I'd like to do are maybe the lowering links (I've read most of the +'s and -'s), and I'd like to get a centerstand. The dealer says you can't do both. I've read here that you can. If it can be done, are there certain brands that will work, while others won't. Also, I've read about raising the fork tubes in the triple tree and how that might affect the side stand. All the other farkles, as you folks call them, will come later. My current ride, besides the new strom, is a Kawasaki Voyager. It's getting heavier or I'm getting older, most likely the latter.

thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you may find that it depends

on my 2007 non-ABS Wee I had expected my lowered bike to not work with a centerstand - and it never worked well with the Happy trail centerstand. My DL650A is also lowered (3/4" at the rear) , and works well with the OEM centterstand.

The 2012+ owners will chime in soon :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's a bit harder to work the center stand on a 3/4" lowered bike. I'm 69 years old and can do it with no problem though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife just got a 12 650 Adventure. I lowered it an inch (links on the rear) and install the OE center stand. No problems so far. The side stand is ok now but I think if lower the front it will have to be modified.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
good to hear

It's a bit harder to work the center stand on a 3/4" lowered bike. I'm 69 years old and can do it with no problem though.
So I am ok for another 6 years if my back holds out,

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm lowered 3/4 in the front (slid the tubes up) and 11/8" with couba links in the rear. I don't have a center stand but I'm sure running the rear tire up on a 3/4" board would work pretty good. The side stand was ok but I shortened it just to be safe (no big deal). If I didn't lower the bike I don't think I could ride it.....td

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Great News

9 years left minimum!

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you struggle with a center stand just ride/park the bike's rear tire up on a small piece of wood to lift it up a little. Makes it much easier.

I used to do that on my GL1800 when I was having lower back issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I read the small print for any of these centerstands, they all say "not recommended for use with a lowering kit". I guess what I am wondering is, is it just because of the increased difficulty of getting it on the stand or is there something that gets in the way with those non-standard dog-bones installed that requires cutting, welding, fabricating, etc., or maybe cornering clearance or maybe just legalese.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts