StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
We I finally decided to change up my riding style once again. Today I traded my 2005 Yamaha R6 which I've had for the last 8 years on a 2008 DL650, or as I'm seeing on here, a Wee-Strom. (LOL)

Here's little back history on my garage. My first bike was a 1993 Suzuki Bandit 400cc in 1999, loved that bike. But like all new riders I thought I needed something bigger so I let my family talk me into a Yamaha 1100cc V-star Classic, great bike, just not my style. I figured out fast, I'm not a cruiser guy. Next I bought a 2002 Yamaha FZ1. I keep that a few years and then I got tired of dragging footpegs and then I bought my R6. Great machine and now that I'm doing a lot of mountain trips from southcentral NC, to western NC, it lack a certain comfort level, and it can't do dirt.

So now I'm waiting on some paperwork to process (Title Stuff) so I'm take my Strom home. I feel like I got a good deal, the guy who own it bought and never road it, just put it up in storage. With that said, I'll be getting a 2008 V-Strom 650, with 1 mile on it. :thumbup:

Is there anything I should be looking out for other then the normally stuff like dry-rot and things of that nature. As you can tell I'm a huge Yamaha fan, and I know motorcycle mechanic well, but I'm not familiar with any little quirks this motor may have. Any advice will be helpful. I know first off I will be buying crashbars and a skid before I do to much riding.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Welcome Mr. Guy.

So it's been sitting for four years?

There's nothing particular about the motor that you'll need to do. Valve check intervals are 15,000 miles. A Throttle body sync is only needed if you have idling problems. There have been occasional issues with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) with 650's of your vintage which manifests itself by stalling at idle after warm-up.

Aside from the common sense things like replacing fluids and tires if rotted, and the battery of it won't hold a charge, I'd check the airbox and other places for rodent infestations. Unfortunately getting into the airbox requires removing all the body plastics. You might as well do that now and familiarize yourself with the process from the get-go. If you can do that before the sale, do it.

Good luck, hope to see you out here this summer.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!!

Thank ya'. The tires look great, but they are rather old.:jawdrop: I'm going to ride on them for a bit, but I'm going to look for another set soon. I want some thing that I can do street and dirt with. I've been doing my research, but I do like to hear back from people who have used different tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts