StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased my strom a month ago and ride to work nearly everyday. wow, what a super fun bike. i only have one major gripe, and that is the stumble/hesitation between 3-4k rpm. talked to the shop and they have the yosh box, will cost maybe 40 bucks(unless i belittle them into a freebie) i am also considering a power commander. found one today for the 250 range. really like the bike and rarely drive my truck now that it is warm. any comments would be appreciated concerning the stumble problem. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
How many miles on your Strom?

When I first got mine it had a nasty stumble/stutter between 2,500 & 3,000 rpm. The more miles I put on it the smoother it gets. Might be worth waiting to see.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did/do have the same problem. I did get the new ECM which seemed to help, but the stumble was still there. I then put the stock pipes back on and what a difference, no stumble at all. I do not like the stock pipes but if that is what it takes until I get a power commander. I gather since you have just bought it you do have the stock pipes right?

Before I got the new ECM I did a throttle body sync. I didn't fix much except to maybe smooth the motor out a bit and make the stumble really clear between 3-4K. You might want to cinsider a synch, which you can do yourself. I was surprised the bike came so out of synch, must be the air in Japan :roll:

Heavy is right to about smoothing out the more miles you put on it, mine took 1500 miles and it felt like a differnt bike the next time I rode it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1200 miles on my strom. i had no problems the first 500-600 miles. it seems to get worse every few days. the bike has only one aftermarket mod whichis the windshield.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I picked my strom 06 DL-1K up a month ago and have no problems with the stumbles. I ride in the 3-4K RPM range in the city. But it is true the more mile on it the better it rides, I have noticed it this week just hit the 500 mile mark and it seems to run smoother everyday, unless I am just getting use to it. I would have more miles but we picked a bike up for the wife and she isn't into the long rides yet although she is getting better. Today we plan her longest ride to a couple state parks, should be fun can't wait!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have your bike remapped with a yoshi box 5+ low and mid ranges.It cured my bike's low RPM stumble.Cost me all of $15 at Suzuki shop in Memphis.Save your money that you would spend on a power commander and buy riding clothes or bike additions.Only down side of remapp is you will probably lose a couple miles a gallon in fule milage,but I feel it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Heavy,

How many miles on yours now? My 06 has 1100 km on it and has a light throttle surge, occasional hiccup at around 2800 rpm that seems to be getting worse, not better. No problem when on the gas, tons of power, or decelerating. It's just that phase when you are just floating along with no/light load.

I'm going to ride it for awhile and see what happens. The bike is just amazing and is everything I thought it would be. As time goes on I'll do the TBS and check the boots, etc. I hope to get through this issue without having to go through the dealer circus. I've got a three year warranty, so someone, somewhere will be dealing with this.

So much for this problem being fixed on the 06's. Any other 06 owners want to jump in on this topic. Has anyone had their dealers rectify the issue on the 06's?

D

·
0 Posts
Still stumbles after 11000

I have had my bike for 2 years. It now has over 11000. I still have the stumble and it will die about every 5th stop. This is really aggrevating in traffic, especially when trying to get through a busy intersection. I have tried all the suggestions on the internet short of the power commander. That will be my next mod. The dealer was no help from the start. They didn't even recognize the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
WeThereYet said:
Heavy,

How many miles on yours now?
I'm just a little short of you, with about 1,000 kms. I'll be well over that after tomorrow. I have mine scheduled for the 1,000 km service for Tuesday. The dealer is supposed to be pretty sharp so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with it.

M

·
0 Posts
Dealer yoshed mine at 5K miles for $35. No stumbles since and have 24K now in under 12 months. Unless you plan on fiddling with the PC, I wouldn't waste my money on it.

M

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
mrmonk said:
Dealer yoshed mine at 5K miles for $35. No stumbles since and have 24K now in under 12 months. Unless you plan on fiddling with the PC, I wouldn't waste my money on it.

M
+1!!!!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
adamc said:
i purchased my strom a month ago and ride to work nearly everyday. wow, what a super fun bike. i only have one major gripe, and that is the stumble/hesitation between 3-4k rpm. talked to the shop and they have the yosh box, will cost maybe 40 bucks(unless i belittle them into a freebie) i am also considering a power commander. found one today for the 250 range. really like the bike and rarely drive my truck now that it is warm. any comments would be appreciated concerning the stumble problem. thanks
I have an '06 with a little over 4k miles (in a month and half). I put in the PC and it cured all stumble issues. Even on tight stuff in 2nd at really low RPM there is no stumble. Before the PC I even had it stall on me on a tight turn.

It also smooths it out through out the rev range. I am using the FuelMoto map that came with my PC. I have not tried the map from Dynojet cuz I have been in Boston for work for a week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
dont' try the map from Dynojet. there is almost no change to the stumble except it happens at 300 rpm higher then stock. I am going to try modification to that map next. I would love for you to share the map you got from fuelmoto so I can compare them. it seems you have the stumble problem licked...
Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
With Yosh box fixed my 06 with +2.0 on idle and +5 on low no other changes, no more stumble and better mileage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just finished, and I mean I am still sweating, installing the PC after uploading the 'M311-501.map' I got from another strommer. I modified it a bit more to richen the idle to eliminate the slight 'popping' and a little more to richen the 2500-3500 range. I will try it out on tomorrow's commute. I also have an appointment for a yosh-box sinchro next week. I am doing a 650 miler this weekend into the NV desert where I can REALLY open it up. Mileage will be calculated and I will report back after each change.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
We all need to be sure to mention which bike we have and what year it is. Adds relevance to tuning discussions.

M

·
0 Posts
I also had stumblings at 4000rpm on my K5 DL1000. The dealer connected a Yoshi box and did a remapping and after that it's gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
stumble update

Initial PC3 milege with stock/stock map from DynoJet before the trip was 35.

Back from NV desert ride with my first 100 miles with PC3 on the new map. Bike ran okay, but exhaust tones were not balanced and no help to the 2800-3800 rpm range. The guy behind me said the smell was way too rich. Mileage was 42mpg.

Unplugged the PC# and reconnected the stock ECU and ran much leaner with 48mpg, still no change to the stumble except that it bugs me even more now.

Into the shop last week for TPS balance and throttle valve synchro. Vaccume was off 2" of mercury- Will get the bike back this week.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very strange thing happened between 9000-10000km on my DL1000K6, the roughness between 3300-3800RPM smoothed itself out. Now its hardly noticable and I actually have to make a conscience effort to pay attention to the engine to notice any roughness.

I have done absolutely nothing to the bike and had planned to do all things mentioned in the Strom websites across the world, from H&N air filters, Yosh Box, removing the second butterfly valve etc. But no need, the bike just sorted itself out. I can now sit happily in O/D at 3500 all day with only the slightest murmering coming from the engine. The bike is absolutely silky smooth either side of the 3000RPM band.

A bike that sorts out its own problems, gotta be happy with that. Now if the windshield will grow when watered and the seat become more comfortable the longer you ride, that would be a miracle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts