StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
speedo fix

So, I've read about all these fancy fixes on here for the spedo, but has anyone tried to fix it at the sensor? Is that even possible?
I don't think that would be possible as the sensor only picks up the number of revolutions of the countershaft.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but I'm trying to familiarize myself with the mechanical parts of the bike a little better. I know electronics fairly well, but lack on the more technical mechanics of the bike. I know only basics for now. Anyways, what's the "countershaft"?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think that would be possible as the sensor only picks up the number of revolutions of the countershaft.
AFAIK, the Wee still has the pickup at the front wheel.

It is the VEE that measures at the countershaft.

I've read (almost) every thread on this site for the last 2 years and I can't recall anyone mentioning a new fix.

Someone will happen along soon who is more wise in the ways of the Wee than me.

Dwain

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AFAIK, the wee still has the pickup at the front wheel.

It is the VEE that measures at the countershaft.

I've read (almost) every thread on this site for the last 2 years and I can't recall anyone mentioning a new fix.

Someone will happen along soon who is more wise in the ways of the Wee than me.

Dwain
Hmmm, well I guess I'll figure this one out and let you guys know what I come up with! My brother is quite the mechanic (an understatement) and I'll recruit him on this one. Thanks for the info so far! I'll start on it today.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you fix the error at the source or with a speedo-healer electronic device, you can make the speedometer accurate, but then your odometer (which is normally quite accurate on the DL650) would be off.

I just installed a set of the corrected gauge faces, but haven't had a chance to ride with them yet. The installation was pretty easy if you read all the instructions that are available on this forum and elsewhere on the net. I think that is currently the best solution.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you fix the error at the source or with a speedo-healer electronic device, you can make the speedometer accurate, but then your odometer (which is normally quite accurate on the DL650) would be off.

I just installed a set of the corrected gauge faces, but haven't had a chance to ride with them yet. The installation was pretty easy if you read all the instructions that are available on this forum and elsewhere on the net. I think that is currently the best solution.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA
Yup. After a good washing in the driveway, decided that I'll just save my pennies and get corrected faces. Rather have an accurate odometer than speedo. I usually don't use the speedo anyways because I didn't have one in my truck for years before I bought the bike, so I got good at judging speed. It would just be nice to know that it's accurate!

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
You could always just mount a GPS, and have an accurate speed reading. When my GPS is attached I don't even look at the bike speedo.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I installed one of Austin's corrected speedo faces on my Wee and it's pretty accurate. A simple, cheap fix. I went by one of those roadside radar speed indicators a while back. It showed my speed at 56 mph...my speedo indicated 57. I can live with that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could always just mount a GPS, and have an accurate speed reading. When my GPS is attached I don't even look at the bike speedo.
Thought of that, but didn't want to deal with taking the GPS off every time I get off the bike. I'm too paranoid to trust folks to leave it there... But yes, on longer rides I do use my little Nuvi for just that.

I installed one of Austin's corrected speedo faces on my Wee and it's pretty accurate. A simple, cheap fix. I went by one of those roadside radar speed indicators a while back. It showed my speed at 56 mph...my speedo indicated 57. I can live with that.
Yeah, I've seen those around here and they're pretty cool! Would it be a pain to fabricate one on my own, you think?

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
accurate speedometer

Another option...install a bicycle computer/speedo. I used to run one on my DR650. I picked it up from Aerostich.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bicycle Speedo

I'll second the bicycle speedo computer. Just make sure that the one you get will read over 60mph as they all don't. Have been using one for years on two different bikes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Forrest39 posted the link where I bought mine. You could make your own , I guess...but Austin makes a pretty nice product for 40 bucks.:yesnod:

·
Registered
197 Posts
A Cheap Speedometer Healer

Geez, guys, use your brain. If you determine that your speedometer reads 8% low, do the math.

If the speedometer reads 50 mph, multiply 8 x .5 = 4. So you now know that you are going 46 mph.

If the speedometer reads 71 mph, again multiply 8 x .7 = 5.6 so now you know that you are really going close to 66 mph. I would think that an accuracy of ± 2 mph is good enough.

After you practice this 20 - 30 times, you will find that it comes automatically, almost without thinking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts