StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Administrator
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for StromTrooper.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join StromTrooper.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "StromTrooper.com Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your Bike, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums - Manage My Garage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your StromTrooper.com Team.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I don't see a change after "disabling" right sidebar?

Very hard to navigate directly to a category such as "2014 an up DL 1000"

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
The New Posts button displays the threads with new posts but how do I actually see new posts? I check new members for spammers every morning. Where is the membership list?

I hate new software.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
I used to run a forum with more traffic than this one... I understand the desire to upgrade, improve, etc... but this really is cumbersome.

·
Administrator
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heya guys - The update is still going on live so changes and updates are still being made.

Standby and some of these issues will be sorted ASAP, otherwise we can make changes and tweaks as we find them.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Not a fan either. :thumbdown:

The selections at the bottom (Full, Classic, Mobile) do not seem to work as there is no difference.

Very cumbersome to navigate to the various forums.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
When you closed the "What happened" thread, you posted a link to this thread for feedback.

That link is broken.

Really only matters to 4 people, but its kind of a bummer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I applaud the desire for new and improved and all that goodness, however I have to say this is not an improvement. Not all change is good, and this is a great example.

Side bar consumes far too much space, hard to read the threads, hard to navigate and its not attractive or easy to use at all.

Thanks for the effort, but I would vote for a new change to fix this change or revert back to the way it was.

·
#motoref
224 Posts
The motorcycle.com app is immune to the changes. That's good news!

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts

This does not work. It changes it back to "enable" after you save and exit User CP.

:thumbdown:

·
Registered
204 Posts
How very exciting to have changes to the site. So far I am not a big fan, but I will give it some time for the quirks to work out and for me to learn how to navigate the new look. Sort of like a new pair of motorcycle gloves, at first they are a little tight and don't work as well as your favorite pair. Then after a couple weeks or months they break in and fit great.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Having gone thru many of these changes where someone thinks what was working wasn't good enough. They all end up like this. When this is done subrosa, without any user input, it always ends up like this.

Of course, you own it and we play here for free, but making minor changes now based on user input just doesn't cut it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do you guys test your changes?

I'm asking because I followed your instructions:

Clicked disable and save.

Didn't make any difference. Still have sidebar.

I've managed large PC software projects in my former life.

Sure wish you had gone about this in a much different way.

Did you even ask users what they wanted??????????

I know, it's your sandbox and if I don't like it I can leave. But I can not imagine that was what you intended to happen.

·
Administrator
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys I will let you know when the conversion is done and then we can work on the bugs/issues.

The team is still working on the back end, things are still being updated.

Jeff

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I guess I'll wait until the change is complete to evaluate and learn. Until then, going to the classic theme in the lower left most theme selection box is working for me.

Moderators were warned of the change and I was expecting a general warning. It didn't happen and I lost track of the date. There should have been a general notice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow, Total shock for me, logging in today, and I visit nearly everyday!

At my age I have weathered many changes and I will make it through this one also, but a little head's up would have been nice.
The layout works well on my netbook although I haven't fully explored the new interface.

I always wonder who benefits from big changes like this as I seldom find it much different from the old layouts. More room for ads maybe? Advrider has a change pending, I think, but since they advertised it, I am expecting it anytime.

1 - 20 of 399 Posts