StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered new 705's for my 2013. The rear is done at 8800 miles. Front is still good but I'm replacing both. They are cheap and I hope I get good results from them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am still trying to decide between the 705 and the Battle Wing. I am at just over 8k miles on the stock TW's and will need something soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just ordered a set of 705's yesterday from Revzilla :) My stock tires were dry rotting and the tread was looking questionable. Took about 30 minutes to read (selectively) through the epic novel that is the sticky tire thread but feel good about the 705's.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You certainly can't beat the price on the 705's. I'd be interested to hear what kind of tread life you guys get on those.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a new set of 705s waiting in the garage to replace my old Heidenau K60s. The Heidis were great for my Alaska trip but are showing, wearing flat, and I'm looking forward to something a little smoother running for the mostly paved travels I have lined up this year. I have a couple of friends who have used the 705s with good success and swear by them. One of them has over 500k miles on BMW GSs, so I respect his opinion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ride mostly paved roads. I do like the fact that the 705's will be good if I have need to go off-road a bit.

·
Registered
15,544 Posts
The front 705 seems to be good for 12-14K miles. The rears 5-6K miles depending on your wrist.
I did a RawHyde intro class yesterday in the damp conditions and the half worn rear seemed fine.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a pair of 705's on my DL1000 before it got totaled. Tire life on the rear wasn't that impressive to me. Got about 4000 miles. Front was still in good shape. Your results might vary....

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've had the 705s for several thousand miles now. I'm pretty sure the front will last through 2-3 rears.

Great on dry and wet roads, gravel, dirt, and some mud. Absolutely love them.

I'll eventually try E07 and K60s in the future, though.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am still trying to decide between the 705 and the Battle Wing. I am at just over 8k miles on the stock TW's and will need something soon.
I went from TWs to 705s. They are apples to oranges. The first surprise was falling into turns.

The 705s were almost triangular in shape after the admittedly worn and squared TWs. I suspect that is what caused the falling in feeling. In any event, after a few rides either the peak wore down or I became accustomed to the new tire shape.

The other thing to note is that there is no continuous line of rubber around the center line of the tire so there is no smooth road-running. As a result they seem not vibey, but rumbly, like switching from all-seasons to snow tires on a car. Again, it took a little getting used to but I am fine with it now. On tarmac I would say the 705s are a little less confidence inspiring and more wiggly during hard braking.

Considering the Battlewings are more road oriented than the TWs your two choices seem to be either more tarmac or more dirt-road.

For me, I've ridden on these 705s for about 6500kms this season. They look in good shape and performed fine. I would buy them again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had a set of the 705's on a KLR650 and don't remember thinking anything bad about them. Although after a quick google search, I found the 705's for $90 and the Battlewings for $130. For the extra $40, I think I may go with the B-stones.

·
Registered
529 Posts
705s are great, but even better are the 804/805 combo. Great off road, look cool, wear well, and stick as good as the 705s on pavement. They are also quiter.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm right at 8000 miles too and not sure what to buy. I am on the street most of the time but I do ride gravel too so something better on gravel would be nice.

This guy swears by Avons Earth-Roamers : Avon TrailRider review after 25,000 km
Thanks for this. Trail Riders go to the front of the line for me. One online shop says they are made in the USA ++:grin2:

Update: Avon USA says they are made in England as always.

Reactions: kenfm2000

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dropped my bike off at Romney cycles today to have the recall done and get the new 705's installed. Nice ride up there. My butt was killing me though on the hour ride. Maybe time for a new seat!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I switched to the battlewings last summer, more taramac for me. They seem to be wearing just fine. I am a little more cautious on the grass though. They felt very confident in the wet or dry pavemment. And they handle lightly graveled roads well enough. About 2000 miles and they still look good

·
Registered
20 Posts
Plese,when posting about a certian tire for first thread.Include manufacturer.....Some people are wondering what a 705 or 761,or 208 is.Ps..Dunlop Trail max.TR 91 for smooth or marble gravel works.....The beauty of wearing out tires is choosing a different one each time until YOU find the right tire....Knobbys on sat.Mon to friday.something else? Comprimise is always a personal thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a set of the 705's on a KLR650 and don't remember thinking anything bad about them. Although after a quick google search, I found the 705's for $90 and the Battlewings for $130. For the extra $40, I think I may go with the B-stones.
I had 705s an my old KLR as well, but I couldn't make them last for some reason. I ran through 2 rears and couldn't get more than 4500 miles a set.

I did like them though. Might try them on the wee unless I chose to get even more street biased tire.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the dealer called Saturday. The recall was completed with no repairs required. Valves were in spec. New Shinko 705's installed. I'll pick her up Thursday when temps are expected to be mid 70's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts