StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new Shinko 705 tires mounted yesterday and I've only put a few miles on them but so far they are awesome. My old tires were really worn so just the "new" aspect helped a lot but the 705s themselves seem great. I looked at dual sport tires for a while and initially wanted something a little more aggressive but these tires are rated 80/20 on road offroad and even 20% offroad is pretty optimistic. I'm getting ready to head out the door and put some real miles on them as we speak so I'll post later with a better informed opinion.

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
I notice the tread pattern on the front tire at parking lot speed, it feels lumpy when moving the bike with the handlebars moved to one side or another.
Other than that, it's a smooth ride
Enjoy scraping the pegs.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Great tire for the money. I believe I'm on my 6th rear 705 radial with no issues but had to dump the fronts a while back. Both fronts I had wore unevenly and got lumpy , bumpy and eventually began howling at speed louder than my Malamute

·
Registered
15,528 Posts
'Both fronts I had wore unevenly and got lumpy , bumpy and eventually began howling at speed'

Mine are starting to do dat but they have 12K plus miles on them.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm replacing the Battlewings front and rear with these next week, what pressure are you all running on these? Thanks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine should be here today. My OEM rear has 6000 miles and is into the wear bars. Front probably has 2k left.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been on the fence... I've had other Shinko's on my Hawks and my old Hornet and liked them but I was thinking of just breaking weak and getting the Michelin Anakee 3 to start with on the front of the Vee since I'm not bound to hit much more than asphalt for a good while but the difference between 79 and 149 dollars for the front tire plus that more aggressive looking tread has had me wondering about road noise, road walking, and ride quality as well as value.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love them so far. At 1 or 2 mph I can feel the lugs as I come to a stop but I'm used to mud terrains on jeeps so it doesn't bother me at all. At speed they are great and the handle extremely well in the turns for à dual sport tire. I can't wait to take them out in some packed gravel and dirt.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm replacing the Battlewings front and rear with these next week, what pressure are you all running on these? Thanks.
I mounted 705Rs to replace the original Trailwings last fall. I've been running them on my Wee with 36psi rear and 33psi front, which is simply following the recommendations in the manual. They seem fine. I've been on sandy and gravel roads where, arguably, dropping five pounds on either end might have helped, but I'm here to type about it, so...

Because there is no smooth line around the middle of the tread they're a bit of a rumbly tire o smooth roads, especially after the smooth and bald Trailwings they replaced, but I did a couple of hours of mostly slab and secondary roads today, and they're fine.

And if I think they're going off with fewer miles on them I won't feel as bad replacing them in shorter service intervals for half the price of Anakee 3s or something similar

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Just fabulous tires all around, ignore any haters and bashers of these tires. ;)
If it were you who had a Shinko 705 delaminate on you, I suspect you wouldn't say this. Hopefully, they've finally fixed the problem, but I won't be buying that brand ever again and there are several others here that I've ridden with who've had the same problem and I've seen their tires first-hand. It was earlier production, 3 or 4 years ago, that were problematic, both bias ply and radial. I have no idea what they are like now. I liked them fine for the first 3k miles, before big chunks of rubber were shredding.

Bottom line, keep your eye on them and look for cracks between the blocks.

:headbang::yikes::frown::var_6::var_00:

·
Administrator
17,381 Posts
If it were you who had a Shinko 705 delaminate on you, I suspect you wouldn't say this. Hopefully, they've finally fixed the problem, but I won't be buying that brand ever again and there are several others here that I've ridden with who've had the same problem and I've seen their tires first-hand. It was earlier production, 3 or 4 years ago, that were problematic, both bias ply and radial. I have no idea what they are like now. I liked them fine for the first 3k miles, before big chunks of rubber were shredding.

Bottom line, keep your eye on them and look for cracks between the blocks.

:headbang::yikes::frown::var_6::var_00:
I hear ya, but they must be much better now as the de-lamination seems to be a thing of the past. I run them and have several friends that do as well, and they run them "very hard". ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've ran Shinkos since the early/mid 00s on bikes from a 1200 Bandit to a KLR to a FJR1300 to my current Strom and can't say any bad things about them. THe ones I ran the most were the Raven ST tires on my Bandit, R1150R, 800ST, FJR1300, FZ6. If you added up all the mileage I had on SHinkos it's would probably be north of 150k miles. Never had an issue.

I'm running on SHINKO 804/805s right now and really like them. They are the "big block" TKC80 style tires and I coudln't be happier with them. It's looking like I'll get between 6 and 8,000 miles out of the rear right now.

Prior to that on the big Strom I ran the 705s and really enjoyed those as well.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm running on SHINKO 804/805s right now and really like them. They are the "big block" TKC80 style tires and I coudln't be happier with them. It's looking like I'll get between 6 and 8,000 miles out of the rear right now.

Prior to that on the big Strom I ran the 705s and really enjoyed those as well.
What kind of riding are you doing on the 804/805s?

·
Registered
105 Posts
grip

I have done about 26000kms on the 705s on the 2nd front 3rd rear they are good in the dirt as long as it isnt too loose , good on the tar . I am taking it to the racetrack in a couple of days I feel confident the tyres are up to the job. Only regret I didnt take the Battlewings off as soon as I got it they were scary in the dirt and would slide on the tar

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What kind of riding are you doing on the 804/805s?
More road than dirt since it's my commuter bike as well but here's two videos. One is just a fun video and the other is a quick review I did on them. Ignore my speech. I had to make my voice over fit over into the video length and I had a few jack and cokes while doing the editing lol. I'll ride pretty much any trail with it. Sand sucks of course but I haven' thad much time in the sand with these tires yet. THe small patches I have encountered they seem much better than the 705s.

I'm about to make a 4000 mile update video in the next week or 2 :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rode the 705s in the rain today and on some really wet roads once the rain had stopped and I'm still very impressed with these tires. They did great and were very sure-footed on the wet pavement. Held the line fine on the On and Off ramps for the interstate. The only real offroading I see in my future is some packed gravel service roads through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park and some of those may have some spots that transition into dirt but it will likely be very packed and firm as well. Haven't had a chance to take them offroad yet but I'll post an opinion update as soon as I do. Having checked "rainy / wet roads" off the list now I still am very pleased with my tire choice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Racetrack

I took it to the track yesterday and the tires gripped really well moved around a little bit when they were hot and was able to outbrake a lot of sportsbikes so I am very impressed

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am starting to dip into the Shinko Koolaid a tad more. I've held off buying any tires this week just in order to see some feedback.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts