StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I had the dealership install a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires. Rode home (about 35 miles) but didn't want to push them since they were brand new (slick) so I couldn't say how they act on the road. Of course, last couple of weeks we had bad weather (combined with the work) so I couldn't check them out.
So this morning I took my '06 Wee to work - 25 miles, half backroads the rest highway and suburb roads. And I was very impressed! The bike is glued to the road, quiet and tight!... It feels I can take any curve with any speed (but I know better!). Got to work with a big smile on my face!...
Bought a bike used last year with Conti Road Attack tires on it - great tires but they were quite squared (I guess too much highway, not enough backroads?) so not the best feel going through a curve. Not that I'm very aggressive rider but still... PR4's are a great improvement in overall feel of the bike. Not the cheapest tires but, in my case, certainly worth the investment. Now, let's hope they'll last as much as the manufacturer claims... :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I just had a set installed last week.

I managed to sneak out this morning to head up some mountain backroads to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I like them. I knoe I am comparing them to some over-worn Anakees, but these might be the only tires I'll run on this bike. We'll see how they wear.

I've been running dual sport tires and have been unhappy with cupping noise, etc. I don't do that much off-pavement riding, so I decided to get the PR4's. So I decided to hit some gravel roads. As long as I don't go into a turn too hot, I think these will be fine for what I expect to encounter.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
MICHELIN Pilot Road 4 - Tires On-road | MICHELIN Motorcycle - United States - Motorcycle-website

The PR4 front is only available in the Trail radial version with the V speed rating.
The PR4 rear is available in either the zero-degree radial with the W speed rating or the radial with the V speed rating. The Trail version is designed for adventure touring bikes like ours (not really for trail riding).

It isn't clear on the PR4, but on the PR3 it was published that the Trail version had a wider center tread section of longer wearing rubber and narrower side sections of grippier rubber, as well as the different casing construction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trail version is the only one that comes in the sizes for our bike... I would like even softer "regular" ones but... Anyway, they seems to be just right...

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. I just placed my order for a set of PR4 trails.

I have admitted to myself that I'm not really going to go off-roading w/ this bike. It will mostly be used as my commuter and 1-up weekend touring machine. Grippiness and performance in rainy conditions are really the most important aspects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same here - I have a big touring bike (Yamaha Venture, a full dresser) that my wife and I ride together so my Wee is "My" bike, for 1-up rides when she's not available. Mostly backroads and twisties, no off-road, minimum highway (if I can help it)... So, PR4 looks like a right tire for that. It's weird that Trial does not mean off-road but... So far, so good...:hurray:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
...I just placed my order for a set of PR4 trails...
I have a new PR4 front (trail) - ready for install when I feel like it - and I'll probably need to feel like it some time in the month of April.

I'm completely satisfied with the performance and wear characteristics (including tread life) of the Anakee III rear, but the Anakee III front (with much less tread to begin with) didn't quite live up to my hopes / expectations, so I'll soon have AIII rear and PR4 front. I think I might like that combination. We'll see.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The differences are in another thread around here somewhere...

The front is only available to us in the Trail.
The rear is available in Trail, and in Road.

Here's a comparison to the PR3's and PR2's:

...and the difference in compound ratios and hardness (not very precise without the actual durometer ratings).

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
The non trail version does fit the Strom. I went with it because it was $22 cheaper. The center is harder by the chart so it should last longer than the Trail.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I'll have to revise the sentiments in my previous post in this thread:

I'll never go back to "DUAL SPORT" tires on this bike.

This is the kind of handling that I didn't know I was missing with Trailwings, Tourances, Shinkos and TKC80's.

As far as off road: I don't do it, I do use grave and dirtl roads from time to time and have done a few miles so far and I can work with these when the pavement ends. I might enter turns slower, but that's about it.

I know this is the honeymoon, but if it only lasts 2000 miles it will have been worth it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Heh... another convert...

I've never ridden a tire that inspired confidence like the PRx...

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Heh... another convert...

I've never ridden a tire that inspired confidence like the PRx...
I just got tired of the compromises of the dual-sport tires. I have about 85,000 miles on DL650's with them and decided it wasn't worth the cupping for the little bit of unpaved riding that I do.

I was not prepard for how eagerly the bike turns in now. I was pleasantly surprised. Actually I was a little worried at first that the shop screwed up, so different was the riding experience.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Out of curiosity how do road tyres such as the PR4's compare to a dual sport tyre for comfort ie, bump absorbtion for example? My Vee's front suspension, even with heavier fork springs and GV's isn't the most plush ride. Do you find any advantage with a road tyre over a dual sport tyre in this respect? I'm currently on my third set of Tourances and quite like them except for the decel wobble they produce.

Cheers,

Tony

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, my 09 DL650 is my first adventure bike and am currently running Continental Trail Attacks which need replaced. They have been fine but I don't have much else to compare them to on this bike. I was thinking of getting another set, but now am pondering the PR4's. Do any of you have experience with the TA's vs the PR4's?

I ride 95% of the time on road and 5% of the time two up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm like StomminNorman. Realized I wasn't actually going off road ever, so I switched to PR-3's. The front tire has 12,000 miles and needs changing. I've got a PR-4 ready and waiting. If I only get a little more milage out of the 4 I'll be happy. On the rear the original PR-3 only made it to 4,000 mi. I switched to the trail version for the rear and I now have 5,000 miles on it and probably have 2,000-2,500 left. Still a little dissapointed. Again if the 4's give me the advertised 20% increase in life I will be happy. When I went from Tourances to the PR-3 it was eye-popping. I love the 3's and if the 4's are any better I'll be elated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm like StomminNorman. Realized I wasn't actually going off road ever, so I switched to PR-3's. The front tire has 12,000 miles and needs changing. I've got a PR-4 ready and waiting. If I only get a little more milage out of the 4 I'll be happy. On the rear the original PR-3 only made it to 4,000 mi. I switched to the trail version for the rear and I now have 5,000 miles on it and probably have 2,000-2,500 left. Still a little dissapointed. Again if the 4's give me the advertised 20% increase in life I will be happy. When I went from Tourances to the PR-3 it was eye-popping. I love the 3's and if the 4's are any better I'll be elated.
If you're looking for more longevity in the rear, go for the Standard PR4 Road, as opposed to Trail (for the rear; the front must be a trail). The 20% claim doesn't apply to the Trail Rear (softer rubber).

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well... couldn't wait any longer (even though I have a couple thou of life left in the stockers). I miss the PRx's.

Just ordered the PR4 trail front / PR4 Standard Road rear.

Got (what I think) is a great deal... $307.98 delivered for the pair.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts