StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this communicator just came out, but has anyone sprung for it and tested it out? I bought the 20 last year for our annual tour, and connectivity was spotty at best with 6 riders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read that it’s got an annoying background ‘ ‘buzz’ that wasn’t on previous models but also a few improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
Sena doesn't fix the true issues with their units, they just come out with another model and call it good. I won't be buying another unless they get their crap together, my 20S is junk..........

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My 3-4 year old 20S is still working like a charm. I don't see a single feature i'd prefer on the new one.
Besides, they'll probably screw themselves again and give an update to better all the older models too.

Isn't my 20s waterproof? It's been through crazy storms.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
Like my Sena 10 zero problems so probably won't look for an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,110 Posts
My 3-4 year old 20S is still working like a charm. I don't see a single feature i'd prefer on the new one.
Besides, they'll probably screw themselves again and give an update to better all the older models too.

Isn't my 20s waterproof? It's been through crazy storms.

Mine too, I mean mine's been through some "crazy storms" too without a hitch or hiccup. Not sure I would say "like a charm" but it has done its job over the last three years.

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
My 20S has proven to be very waterproof, also has a great battery life.....but that is all which is good. The connectivity "or lack there of" in a group of more than 2 is a nightmare and a cluster. My ole 10 worked so much better for communication, but the battery life wasn't so good.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Man I am running some outdated tech. I use a Sena 3s. The range absolutely sucks but if you are talking rider to passenger or your riding partner stays close I have had no issues with it. The battery life is a solid 8-10 hrs which I have tested on long haul days. I haven't had any problems with waterproofing

The 30 looks intriguing but curious if that new "mesh" technology is really that much better

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,529 Posts
The only reason I've considered a Sena of any model, is the battery life.

I tried a cheap Chinese knockoff, branded Yideng. It worked...OK, but

1) battery life was a joke. MAYBE 4 hours...then you have to charge it for 2-4 hours.

2) related to #1, could not be charged while in use.

3) did not communicate with a friend's Sena 20S, even though it was supposed to.

That said, the Chinesium substitute was, at $50, much more financially palatable than the Real Deal.

So if I want a headset that will actually let me listen to music on road trips, I need a Sena or similar. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's worth over $200 to be able to listen to music in my helmet.

I have considered the older, less-capable Sena models. They're supposed to have the same, reasonable battery life (8+ hours) as newer ones. But Sena seem never to drop prices on the older models, which pushes me back toward "nah, I can do without."

·
Registered
283 Posts
The only reason I've considered a Sena of any model, is the battery life.

So if I want a headset that will actually let me listen to music on road trips, I need a Sena or similar. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's worth over $200 to be able to listen to music in my helmet.

I have considered the older, less-capable Sena models. They're supposed to have the same, reasonable battery life (8+ hours) as newer ones. But Sena seem never to drop prices on the older models, which pushes me back toward "nah, I can do without."
See if you can pick up a Sena SMH10, maybe from someone who is upgrading. The SMH10 is a great unit for phone, music, or comms to one other unit.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,529 Posts
See if you can pick up a Sena SMH10, maybe from someone who is upgrading. The SMH10 is a great unit for phone, music, or comms to one other unit.
That would be fine. I'm not really concerned about being able to talk to more than one other rider. I'm usually riding alone anyway.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I also picked up a SMH10 and have mounts for my three helmets...usually ride to and from work 3-4 days a week and still on the initial charge 3 months ago...I listen to FM radio or streaming music from my phone or MP3 player.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have a smh10 for past 2 years
I use it daily all year
It still gets over 8 hours without a charge
Only problem I have is I can't figure out how to listen to music while using coms

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

The SMH-10 won’t do that. The 20s will but I don’t like it because if you start to sing along with the music the music stops.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The SMH-10 won’t do that. The 20s will but I don’t like it because if you start to sing along with the music the music stops.

It shouldn't do that.

I've been asked to stop singing on multiple occasions :p

Dancing at red lights too, but that's unrelated.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did a lot of research on this last year and made the choice to be iconoclastic. I bought a Cardo Packtalk Duo for my girlfriend and I and it is *phenomenal*. I got it based on great reviews and such, but also because it is listed as being waterproof. So, for the PNW, it was the right call. (See what I did there?)

Anyway, there are alternatives to Sena, for all the complaining that is done...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts