StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like a new, affordable, seat option is going to come available soon.

I have a DR650, as well as my Strom, and the stock seat on the DR makes the stock Strom seat feel like the most comfy thing you ever sat on.

So, in searching for a replacement, I found Seat Concepts. The price is right and, instead of a complete new seat, you get new foam and a new cover. You just staple it on your old seat pan. The one for the DR is only $160.00 and it gets great reviews on the DR forums.

I noticed today that they say there is one coming for the Stroms. I don't know any details but thought I would offer it up here.

Seat Concepts

Coming Soon: - Suz V Strom - KTM 00 - 02 EXC - KAW KLX 450 - BMW R 80/100 GS - HON Transalp

Stock seat at bottom:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Here's the prototype. I gave them my stock pan for R&D so I don't have side by side with the stocker, but there is my Sargent in the pics. Just like their DR seat, the foam and shape is a drastic improvement. I never realized the pillion section of the Sgt was so thin but my wife demanded extra padding so I bought her a cushion. Not needed with the Seat Concepts.

The foam density is great. Comfortable but firm enough so it doesn't bottom out. The design of the seat looks simple next to the Sgt....but it works.

Disclaimer: I first met Robert at SC when he posted about needing riders to test the DR seat on ADV. I answered, reviewed the seat and got to keep it if I liked it. 2500 miles later & it's still on there. When they expanded their product line I got an email. Sent them my stock pan and got the prototype back. Review it....keep it if I like it. I'm keepin' it.

Seat Concepts has asked for an honest review and has great customer service. Any issue that's come up....even if it's the customers responsiblity, they've fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Do they make one with taller foam? That drivers area seems like it is cut out pretty deep for some of us longer legged riders. I'd like to have a different seat for shorter rides and general beating around on so I can keep my RDL is as good as shape as possible.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thank you for the heads up Heavy. I emailed him this morning about his kit for the Vstrom. Hopefully it will be available really soon as I need something. I don't have a lot of extra cash as I am retired and am on a fixed income. This looks to be a nice way to take care of my seating woes.
:hurray:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Do they make one with taller foam? That drivers area seems like it is cut out pretty deep for some of us longer legged riders. I'd like to have a different seat for shorter rides and general beating around on so I can keep my RDL is as good as shape as possible.
Same here. I need something taller than the stock DL1000. I just emailed them indicating such. Email them and maybe if they get enough requests, they'll add a tall version. They do offer a low and a tall version for the DRZ400, so let's hope they do for the V-Strom.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The front area appears dished out but part of that is the thickness of the pillion area. SC has been very responsive to customer requests....hence the tall seat offerings for other bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
play in the boonies

Seat ?? What for ??
When I last saw it your DR still had foot pegs to stand on and hopefully you haven't broken them off yet. I thought you bought the DR it to play in the boonies and give you Vstrom a rest. Can't you just ride all day and wait until you get home and then sit on a couch ?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Got an email response from them already saying they hope to have the standard height V-Strom seat ready in about a month.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I spoke with Robert about doing up a custom seat for my KTM 640 ADV and have to say I'm pumped. Actually sending the seat off this week to get it done. Is pretty much building it however I want it and the price is good as is the wait time estimate.

The Strom seat looks super interesting, if my KTM turns out as nice as I'm thinking my Vstrom may get the treatment too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just ordered a seat kit from Robert at Seat Concepts. Have been talking with him via email since Heavy's original post. These guys at Seat Concepts (Robert, I am talking about you if you are reading this) are very professional and very very helpful. Now all that remains to be seen is if I can put it all together. I am lucky though as my parents used to reupholster antique furniture all the time as I was growing up and I "got to help". I have also read as much as I could find about doing motorcycle seats and watched several videos on youtube about doing this. So, with any luck, I will have a nice custom seat for a reasonable amount of money soon. :hurray:

Thanks, Seat Concepts. :thumbup:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Any update on how the Seat Concept vstrom prototype seat is working? Just had an email from Robert daying they're ready to roll with them...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Happy with it. I just got an email from Robert this morning showing a seat similar in appearance to the Sgt but more heavily padded on the pillion with "leg relief" built in.

I don't know if they're running two models but will let you know when I figure it out. There aren't any updates on the SC site.

It seems as they've just upholstered the foam in pieces instead of having one larger piece. I think the feel will be the same....which is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Overall I am happy with mine. I can feel the two seams on the top of the seat after I have been riding a while, they kind of irritate my butt cheeks where I sit on them. Wish it was offered in a leather cover as well. That vinyl is hot to sit on when the sun has been shining on it (I have been spoiled by my old leather covered custom seats). I do feel that they are well worth the money they cost. I would buy again. Did a 200+ mile day on it Saturday, felt just fine afterwards. I did use a sheep skin to keep monkey butt away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts