1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Janice, nice to see you on the board. (It's been too civilized lately) The only problem I'd have with that farkle is that it uses the rather unreliable Stebel horn. What we really need is idiot seeking missiles. However, in a highly target rich environment like Toronto, I'd have to carry so many missiles that the Strom wouldn't be able to move.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I don't understand the idea - you miss 1/2 a second to be civilized? :confused:

1/2 a second when you need it is a lot of time, and sound travels slowly (340 meters per second), so that 1/2 second makes a big difference.
It reduces a critical function.

To be civilized, people simply don't use the horn when not needed.

Not to down play the inventor's effort, there is nothing much to patent there.. A simple timer and relay.

But people bought it so I guess I missing something..(or people buy farkles regardless of their function?)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The only problem I'd have with that farkle is that it uses the rather unreliable Stebel horn.
You have the option to just buy the control module and use a horn of your choice.

Nice find, Janice!

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I like this idea. I know from personal experience when someone cuts you off, whether on purpose, or by accident, it is really annoying (and dangerous), and it would be nice to have some way of really showing your displeasure. A rocket launcher or gattling gun would be my first choice, but failing that this sounds like the next best thing. Hold that button down and see if they get the message.

I agree in an emergency it's not going to help, you better keep your hands on the brakes and controls and get yourself to safety first, then you can hit that horn as long as you like.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I like it, especially with a 1/4 second option.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
God idea (?).

The comment about the speed out sound (330m/s) is ridiculous; if someone is violating your right of way at a distance where the speed of sound matters, they're not cutting you off and will be well clear of the intersection by the time you get there since you're still at least 80 metres away (plenty of distance to come to a full stop from 100 km/h or for a car to clear a 6-lane intersection)

I think it's going to be more useful for roadragers than the safety-conscious though.

Here's why:
- The safe rider honks before something dangerous happens in order to prevent it.
- The road rager honks after something they didn't predict in order to indicate that they are upset.
- I'm very safe and I rarely honk; I'd rather escape (lots of people have loud radios and won't hear my horn, but this product might fix that). I'll explain below why escaping is better than honking in the majority of the cases.

Scenario:
- You're traveling down a highway at 125 km/h and are about to pass someone who is doing 100.
- As you are 10 metres behind them, they start changing lanes into your path because they are unaware of your approach.
- You use the Banshee horn to warn them off.

Let's see what happens...
- You're traveling at 35 m/s and closing on the vehicle at 7 metres/second.
- You take 1/2 a second to react to the situation, then your horn takes another 1/2 second to honk.
- You are now 3 metres behind the vehicle, so the horn doesn't yet seem like it was too slow.
- Unfortunately, the vehicle is now almost completely in your lane and you have to brake to avoid the collision.
- By the time the other driver registers your loud horn and headlight flash, he thinks you're a tailgating roadraging jerk that is getting annoyed at being cut off.

So in at least this scenario, the gadget is useless (unless you are a roadrager in which case it's great).

Some important things to know about all reactive defenses: defenses that we engage once someone has begun a manoeuvre that endangers us in the hope of stopping this manoeuvre (horns, flashing lights, screaming, waving a middle finger/gun etc.)

- Once committed to a manoeuvre like a lane-change, a significant portion of the population will continue the manoeuvre regardless of whatever else happens (after getting honked at, and sometimes even after colliding with another vehicle)
- When warned off, the other driver needs 1/4 a second to perceive the warning, about 1/2 a second to decide it applies to them, up to 1 second to decide what to do about it and at least 1/2 a second to physically react. So they will take at least 2 seconds before they begin cancelling/reversing the offending manoeuvre. You'd better be braking or swerving during that time!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I seem to recall that Stebel is/going out of the business - perhaps somebody can confirm this.

·
38,103 Posts
I seem to recall that Stebel is/going out of the business - perhaps somebody can confirm this.
It looks that way. Many are still available though and somebody else may pick up the manufacturing. We'll see.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I like the idea. I could still "beep, beep" at the kids and lay into the driver about to back over me in the parking lot. No sense of how long 1/4 or 1/2 second is, though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
According to my Stebel rep, they declared bankruptcy last year and there are two companies bidding to buy them. There are deadlines to have the sale completed and production is expected to resume sometime this year. My stock is running low, but I should have enough to get through the Summer.

With regards to the reliability of the Stebel horns, I have sold hundreds of these horns for over 2 years now and have only had a couple of returns. The horns get a bad rap for being unreliable largely due to Chinese made knock-offs that use an inferior compressor. My contact at Stebel estimated that there are as many Chinese fakes as the genuine Stebel Italian made horns in the US. They look exactly the same. The only way I know how to tell the difference is to separate the horn from the compressor (which ruins the horn) The genuine Stebel has Made in Italy stamped into the body of the compressor and the Chinese made units have no markings. If installed properly, the genuine Stebel horns are extremely reliable.

While I appreciate the concept behind this product, I don't really see much benefit. With a little practice and a light thumb, it's not hard to give a short "toot" on the Stebel.

Gary

·
38,103 Posts
I like the idea. I could still "beep, beep" at the kids and lay into the driver about to back over me in the parking lot. No sense of how long 1/4 or 1/2 second is, though.
At 60mph, it's the difference between 44ft and 22ft.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
With regards to the reliability of the Stebel horns, I have sold hundreds of these horns for over 2 years now and have only had a couple of returns. The horns get a bad rap for being unreliable largely due to Chinese made knock-offs that use an inferior compressor. My contact at Stebel estimated that there are as many Chinese fakes as the genuine Stebel Italian made horns in the US. They look exactly the same. The only way I know how to tell the difference is to separate the horn from the compressor (which ruins the horn) The genuine Stebel has Made in Italy stamped into the body of the compressor and the Chinese made units have no markings. If installed properly, the genuine Stebel horns are extremely reliable.
I really think you have a great CS, and would buy from you again.
But the honest truth is that both Stebels have lost the second tone - why? I do not know. I didn't abuse the bike or go into rivers. Just regular road usage with 2% off road which was gravel roads.

While I appreciate the concept behind this product, I don't really see much benefit. With a little practice and a light thumb, it's not hard to give a short "toot" on the Stebel.

Gary
Completely agree with you.

At 60mph, it's the difference between 44ft and 22ft.
True, now take that argument to zero delay and you gain another 22ft.
As Gary wrote above - a light thumb makes a small noise.

·
38,103 Posts
If it's so close a call 1/4 second will make a difference, the rider should be working the brakes and steering instead of the horn. Getting the horn going is no guarantee the offending vehicle will do anything beneficial following a horn blast.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If it's so close a call 1/4 second will make a difference, the rider should be working the brakes and steering instead of the horn. Getting the horn going is no guarantee the offending vehicle will do anything beneficial following a horn blast.
Of course, I agree.
I just took your argument a step further to show a point.

The only rational to have such a device is to be civil, right? i.e. Not to make a big noise when not needed.
It doesn't really add any safety, and that's why I think the 'added safety' in regards to horn delay is just pure marketing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really think you have a great CS, and would buy from you again.
But the honest truth is that both Stebels have lost the second tone - why? I do not know. I didn't abuse the bike or go into rivers. Just regular road usage with 2% off road which was gravel roads.
Yours would be one of the returns I recall. If you think it's losing tone, I will gladly replace it. Email me and I'll take care of you.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
First of all, i like this guy's funding model - not bad at all.

i like to point out stebel mini air-horn already have a "build in" delay - something less than 1/2 second - i observed that there's a momentary delay before that mini air horn reach full loudness - i wired mine in addition to the stock one - the sound they produce from a brief momentary press on the horn button is mostly from my stock horns.

I like the idea of the controller cause the high-beam to flash as well, save u time from flashing the high-beam yourself. I deploy something similar on my current set up - horn sets off a strobe light. The controller is a neat setup.

check the strobe light from 0:18 onwards
VStrom Operation Visibility - YouTube

for those who believe any warning system is pointless - i put this to you: Any warning system (loud horns, hi-visibility stuff) alone will not save your ass - yes i agree- but there is nothing to stop you to sound your loud horn and take evasive actions at the same time. The combination systems (visual, audio warnings; evasive actions, defence ridings etc...) gives you the better chance of survival out there.

I might buy one of the controllers for my car

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I am thinking about this product from my own personal perspective, and experience. I have looked at Peter's video, and web site. I have read most of the posts in this thread.

When I think about evasive maneuvers, or emergency stopping situations that I have encountered, using the horn is the last thing that I am thinking about.

I am letting off the throttle, and AT THE SAME TIME, I am yanking in the clutch lever, brake lever, covering the rear brake, (Use it? If so, how much?), and scanning the scene with my eyes, (and brain), to triage, "plan A", "plan B", "plan C".....and so on.

The LAST thing I am thinking about is the horn!

The use of the horn often comes after the fact, as in: "BLAAAAAAT. Hey jerk, didn't you see me?"

There are situations, that I have been in, that have had the POTENTIAL of becoming an emergency stopping issue. When I have seen these about to unfold, then I lay on my horn; "to try and break the spell."

(I have two Fiamm car horns wired into the OEM circuit. One horn is mounted on the left, near the forward cylinder, and the other is mounted on the right side of my bike, also near the front cylinder. The two horns are wired, "hot". With my key off, I can press the horn switch in, and both horns will sound.).

What I WOULD be interested in, as a new "groundbreaking product", is a loud horn, and flashing lights, that would trigger THEMSELVES in an emergency situation. What I would like to see is, the horn and flashing lights would be triggered when the clutch lever, and front brake lever are yanked in, all the way home. To me, that would be a product worth looking at.

(BigMan73, when you work out the implementation of this, I get 20% of the profits, okay?)

B.L.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK naysayers!

Remember that this is a FARKLE, and as such. needs NO justification.

Sheesh..

I like the noisy, noisy flashy, flashy.

Maybe, just maybe I want one 'cause it's fun, ya poopers.

:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts