StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 with 40k. I noticed for the first time that when I apply pressure to the front brake, and gently rock the bike forward and back, there is some very slight movement.

I went to the front wheel and grabbed the rotor, and moved it and found that the front rotor would move backwards and forwards a little bit: tic-tic. tic-tic. tic-tic

(the front right also can be moved by hand but it much much harder to do and the tic-tic is considerably smaller than the front left)

What is the movement on the rotors allowed to be? I wanted to get a better idea before spending $500 on 2 new rotors and brake pads

thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The is no service limit specified in the manual. Unless it's something you notice when riding, I wouldn't worry about it. The steel rotor section is allowed to move on the aluminum hub to prevent warping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Greywolf. It all started when I was hearing a clunk-clunk sound when I hit a bump or manhole cover or the raised lip of a driveway or anything that would make the front jar abruptly. I don't know if that is to be expected or not, so I started to see if I could find the source.

I started looking around and thought rotor that might be it.

Good to know about the rotor.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Can the buttons that fasten the inner & outer rotor parts be tightened?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in my garage and just checked, both of my rotors don't move against the carrier when I try to move them by hand.

My guess is that you have one (or more) bolt(s) loose holding the rotor onto the wheel. I've caught one of my other bikes' rotors coming loose. Guess I probably forgot my blue loctite when doing the wheel swap :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is actually the rivet type bolts that connect the outer ring of the rotor to the inner ring of the rotor that have the extra give, not the inner allen bolts that connect the inner ring to the wheel. The inner bolts are tight and don't move.

I too was wondering why one can't just pinch those rivets to tighten them up a bit.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Hmmm...could something be driven into the center of the buttons to tighten them against the two halves of the rotors??? Find a drift punch or swaging tool that fits just right, lube it well, and give it a try.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
They are supposed to move slightly.

If the rotor starts warping (which has happened) do something about it, otherwise, probably cheaper to leave it alone.

If you do decide to 'fix' the clunk, be prepared to buy new rotors if you mess up.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts