StromTrooper banner

New rider with a Wee as a first bike

1174 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  nobie381
Must of been a 50 year old midlife crisis, but I bought a 2008 Wee 2 months ago on June 4th. First bike I have ever owned.

I had it parked in my garage for 2 weeks before I rode it until completing the MSF course at the local community college.

Put about 1200 miles on it so far and am having a blast! If anyone says that getting a Wee is a poor move for a first bike, this 50 year old says they are wrong.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Must of been a 50 year old midlife crisis, but I bought a 2008 Wee 2 months ago on June 4th. First bike I have ever owned.

I had it parked in my garage for 2 weeks before I rode it until completing the MSF course at the local community college.

Put about 1200 miles on it so far and am having a blast! If anyone says that getting a Wee is a poor move for a first bike, this 50 year old says they are wrong.
I knew there was someone out there like me, although I've got ya by a couple of years , did the same thing, looked for used, but I just never found anything that suited what I was looking for till my son introduced me to the V-Strom and then a Brand New White one, I was sold. Rode a while back like 30+ years ago, my son had me enroll in the same course as you the MSF basic course that gets you your license faster I guess is the way to put it.

In the end paid for the bike brought it home the next night and it sat in the garage for 2 days then started riding. Our weather has been seriously questionable so I have not had the time to ride as much as I'd like, but it'll come in time.

· Registered
75 Posts
My first bike

My first bike was a 1978 (?) Honda 750 with a full Vetter fairing, saddlebags, and tail trunk. In terms of power and capabilities actually quite close to the Wee. It was a little heavier, a litter faster, a little bit more comfortable for long rides, but basically the same. I rode that bike all over the eastern US and never had thoughts that it was 'too much of a bike for a learner'. I just had to be careful not to do stupid things, just like I have to now on the Wee. That's the key. I truly think that the Wee is a great first bike. Have fun...

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first bike was a 1978 (?) Honda 750 with a full Vetter fairing, saddlebags, and tail trunk. In terms of power and capabilities actually quite close to the Wee. It was a little heavier, a litter faster, a little bit more comfortable for long rides, but basically the same. I rode that bike all over the eastern US and never had thoughts that it was 'too much of a bike for a learner'. I just had to be careful not to do stupid things, just like I have to now on the Wee. That's the key. I truly think that the Wee is a great first bike. Have fun...
I'm really comfortable on my Wee after 2 months of riding. At first I thought, wow, this is a almost too much power to handle, now I'm thinking I could use a little more!

· Registered
70 Posts
Awesome! Agree - it is a fine machine! Even for experienced riders! Enjoy...

· Registered
7,576 Posts
anyone says that getting a Wee is a poor move for a first bike, this 50 year old says they are wrong.
Depends on the rider. A short legged rider with poor balance is not a candidate to start on a Wee.

· Registered
16,173 Posts
After 50 years of riding and several hundred thousand miles of travel, the '04 Wee I recently got is a most pleasant experience. It is what works well for me, and apparently has pleased your pleasure bone.
Just enjoy it!

· Registered
132 Posts
I knew there was someone out there like me, although I've got ya by a couple of years , did the same thing, looked for used, but I just never found anything that suited what I was looking for till my son introduced me to the V-Strom and then a Brand New White one, I was sold. Rode a while back like 30+ years ago, my son had me enroll in the same course as you the MSF basic course that gets you your license faster I guess is the way to put it.

In the end paid for the bike brought it home the next night and it sat in the garage for 2 days then started riding. Our weather has been seriously questionable so I have not had the time to ride as much as I'd like, but it'll come in time.
My story is very similar to yours. Did a fair amount of dirt riding as a kid, raced ATVs back in the early '80s, then nothing for the next 25 or so years. Picked up my Wee in mid April, already have over 11,000 miles on it. Don't plan on slowing down, either! The better half was more than a little pissed when I got it, now she asks me every weekend, "Can we go for a ride?" Last Sunday we did a 140 mile loop up into the mountains, then back down along the coast to home. She loved it. I think I hit the jackpot. :thumbup:

· Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm really comfortable on my Wee after 2 months of riding. At first I thought, wow, this is a almost too much power to handle, now I'm thinking I could use a little more!
that's why they make the Vee.... :fineprint:

· Registered
249 Posts
I have had mine since 05 and I still love it. I think it was a good choice for a tall guy as a first bike. I too rode dirt bikes when I was young but took a long break to raise a family. Now all the kids ride and I still have the Wee. It is fun to get all of us out there though especially the oldest grandson!

· Registered
297 Posts
Agreed, this is my first bike and loving every minute of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.