StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, just back from the dealership:fineprint: with a 2011 dl650. I'm a brand new rider:confused: without much knowledge of motorcycles. I've gotten a lot of info. from this site that was really helpful in making the decision to get a Wee over a KLR:thumbup:.
I've also never posted a thread before so please forgive the gratuitous use of the emoticons. Thought I would join up and try to give a little back to a site and a community that has been very helpful. Thanks to all for sharing the info and experience. See you out there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome, congrats on the new ride! :hurray:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome. have fun with the new bike. lots of good info here about it

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Welcome. You will find that most of us here feel that the Strom is one of the best bikes made. I expect that you will feel the same pretty soon.

Pay no attention that this is a Suzuki Vstrom board. All of us are still unbiased of course. :green_lol:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
drop your bike?

2 of the most common ways to drop your bike...

in gravel (braking the front wheel) and moving it around the garage - I've done both :headbang:

I hope you have better luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.

The Wee is my first bike too and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Have fun with it. :mod2_scooter:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Welcome to the collective. You must have some knowledge of bikes, you picked the right one first time up.:thumbup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome!

Your post sounds like me earlier this spring. I was deciding on my first bike, also between a KLR and Wee. I chose the Wee and more than 8000 miles later I'm loving it.

One word of caution...Treat the clutch differently than a car. I was raised on stick shifts in cars and trucks but was taught to slip the clutch as little as possible - that doesn't apply to bikes. You don't want to idle the bike around in first gear...I was doing just that and got gently on the throttle while turning and it stalled. My long inseam saved a tip-over but it was close (lesson learned). Use the clutch until the rpm's and speed are above a crawling idle.

Enjoy your new bike!

Edit: One more thing. A Motorcycle safety course is fun and informative. Best 225 dollars I spent related to motorcycling.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome!

This might be the few bikes that is a great first bike (if yer tall enough) as well as a great next bike, and last bike. i'm sure you'll try others over the years. Sad that you'll be disappointed with most of them now. :) I'm sure I'll have others too, but they will be additions, not replacements!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 of the most common ways to drop your bike...

in gravel (braking the front wheel) and moving it around the garage - I've done both :headbang:

I hope you have better luck
Not yet. I'm waiting till I get some crash bars on her before I start moving her around too much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome!

Your post sounds like me earlier this spring. I was deciding on my first bike, also between a KLR and Wee. I chose the Wee and more than 8000 miles later I'm loving it.

One word of caution...Treat the clutch differently than a car. I was raised on stick shifts in cars and trucks but was taught to slip the clutch as little as possible - that doesn't apply to bikes. You don't want to idle the bike around in first gear...I was doing just that and got gently on the throttle while turning and it stalled. My long inseam saved a tip-over but it was close (lesson learned). Use the clutch until the rpm's and speed are above a crawling idle.

Enjoy your new bike!
Edit: One more thing. A Motorcycle safety course is fun and informative. Best 225 dollars I spent related to motorcycling.
Awesome advice. Thanks- I actually was wondering if I would wreck the clutch by feathering it a lot and if that was a big no-no.
I did take the MSF course and you're dead right- it's money well spent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts