StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for some time and finally got a DL1000 from a friend when he jumped over to a BMW. I was really looking for a 650 but was presented a deal on this one I couldn't pass up. It is well farkled up, GIVi full set, full crash bars HWY pegs, PC III, fork brace, pretty much everything done that I would have put more $ into.

I haven't rode since college (20yrs) on a Varigo, that seemed to spent more time trying to get running. I took the first MSF - BRC course in the area in March. I took a few rides over lunch getting used to the big beast, worst experience was riding to work after lunch the first time and laying down trying to turn around in parking spot. Lowering links help greatly getting my feet firmer on the ground and just making me feel better on the bike.

Anyway to the point; do these bikes always smell like they are leaking gas? I think the PC is too rich, chugging at low speeds and poor mpg 32,33, 37 last tank on hwy run 120mi. I have found a new map that I want to try but have yet to figure out that process. I have looked around and I don't see any leaks on any lines, but I may not know the critical spots to check. I need to figure this out as the domestic engineer keeps complaining about the gas smell in the garage. Sometimes when I stop and the wind is behind me I can smell the gas off the exhaust.

Any thoughts, yes I will remap

·
Registered
964 Posts
I know it's no help, but mine was like that, too: Burpy, chuggy, stank of gas.

I was once standing next to it parked talking to a fellow Strommer and I noticed that vapor/ distortion effect - like waves off heat coming off hot pavement "wiggle" the image behing it - anyway, that was coming out of one of the hoses at the bottom of the bike. I just assumed it was an overflow hose and the sun was warming the tank, pushing fuel vapor out the overflow, but:
1. If so, jeez, a lot of fuel being vaporized/ wasted. 2. Hello, gas smell.

Mine was a 2005 bought used, so there may be stuff about it I didn't know.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Vees are notorious for leaking fuel at the little 2 inch hose that connects the fuel rails of the injectors. With a flashlight, laying on your back, look up under the tank on the clutch side of the bike for this hose. It is between the throttle bodies.

If these term confuse you, look at a shop manual. This type leak will start out slow and many times quit leaking as the bike warms up only to return on cold start up again.

Cure is new hose and efi fuel line clamps...not typical worm clamps.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You have a problem!!!!! I get 45-50 mpg on the long runs. Once in a while my fuel cap vents vapors when the tank gets hot in the sun. The chugging at low speeds is pretty typical on the big STROM, but with my PC i can tool around under 2500 rpms for short distances comfortably.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Just to clarify....when I said clutch side I mean the left side, the clutch LEVER side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got it remapped using one off of the board, fulemoto or something, runs much better. Not chugging near as bad at low speeds and more of a rocket going up the on ramp to Highway. This is becoming too much fun to ride, I may be finally getting my 'long' Vstom legs working as well.

PO had it running 20% rich in quite a bit of the rpm band, I think that is where part of the fuel smell was comming from. I looked at the lines and could not see any leaks or signs of leaks arount the compression fittings or anywhere else. I still seem to smell fuel but it is not near as bad as before.

I sometimes wonder if the fuel pump is shutting off with the ignition, but it never sounds flooded when starting, fires right up like a beauty.

Here she is after a late evening run to the post office.

I don't know if my fuel gage is slow to respond but I lost 2 bars on my gage riding to the Post Office last night, it was a FUN ride.

Almost forgot last tank was my best MPG 38.8, not great but improving on the bike, mix of city going to work and back, my previous best was a 120mi road trip that gave me 37mpg, maybe now I could finally hit the elusive 40mpg on an extended drive.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/xterrafirma/dl1000

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Did that stop the fuel smell?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I have the same bike '06, and same issues.
Bought it and have no clue what the power commander is mapped at, but my wife constantly complains about thye gas smell in the garage.
I just blow it off as the Vegas heat but maybe I should look a little closer.
What mods do you have, I'm not sure what map I want to load.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Is the Givi topcase larger than the suzuki I have? The picture makes it look huge. I don't suppose they mount the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No it still smells like gas sometimes, but not near as bad. I had to keep the kids away from the garage on the 4th of July, as I was afraid a punk might set off a reaction from the gas fumes.

I still smell it but suttle now not near as bad, and doesn't feel as if it is oosing gas.

I will see if I can post a pict of the two different fuel maps as the one from the PO was very rich.

No other engine type mods specifically to the bike - orig sprocket and pipes, Just PC controlling fuel flow, just basic other mods: lowering links, full GIVI, tank bag, different springs on main shock & front, fork brace, crash bars, lower armor, highway pegs and gps mount. It was pretty well set up when I got it, will need some grip-heaters soon.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just wanted to chime in on my 06. It stinks out my garage. I have searched, felt, eyeballed every part of the fuel delivery system and everything is bone dry. No clue where the smell comes from. I also notice it once in a while while stopped at a stop light. It's a mystery to me.

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
Owned a Vee for the past five years. Noticed strong gasoline odor for the first time this past July during a prolonged stretch of 100+ temps. No longer noticable since temps have dropped. :beatnik:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Vees are notorious for leaking fuel at the little 2 inch hose that connects the fuel rails of the injectors. With a flashlight, laying on your back, look up under the tank on the clutch side of the bike for this hose. It is between the throttle bodies.

If these term confuse you, look at a shop manual. This type leak will start out slow and many times quit leaking as the bike warms up only to return on cold start up again.

Cure is new hose and efi fuel line clamps...not typical worm clamps.
+1.
I had this same issue, new clamps fixed it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Check your gas cap!!!!!! Your summer has been brutally hot. Mine vents on occasion when the bike is sitting in the hot sun. Also if your loosing vapors your losing gas. Mayby the constant venting is vaporizing your tank away = low mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Labor Day Ride

Took a ride over the weekend, just a 140mi jaunt and ended up getting 40.6mpg on part of that ride. Reprogramming the PCIII has helped quite a bit but still seem to smell some gas once in a while, so I am still looking for leaks.

40mpg seem to be a peak average on fuelly Suzuki DL1000 MPG Reports | Fuelly for Vstoms, so I guess I am getting the PC dialed in pretty close.

I even did about 5mi on gravel around Lake Centropolis, I think I will need some different tires for doing much riding off road with the Strom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Vee had a gas smell going on for awhile. It turned into a gas leak that was intermittent. Sometimes it would drip, others it wouldn't.

One day it was dripping pretty steady and it had to be dealt with. Turned out to be the fuel line from the tank to the throttle bodies.

A new fuel line and clamps cured the leak. The OEM crimp clamps aren't the best and seem to contribute to various leaks I read about.

I'm sure ethanol in our fuel is part of the blame too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts