StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

With Sasquatch out of business I sen't my front and rear Suspension to Racetech for a complete Rebuild. Heavier Springs, new Bushings, Emulator etc.

Question: With all that done and the suspension winging it's way here .. would anybody still recommend a Forkbrace or is it not really advantageous given the new "heavier" Forks and Shock??

Any advice gleefully accepted.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I think that the purpose of the fork brace is to reduce twisting and flexing of the fork tubes. Your new, heavier springs, won't have any effect on the thickness of the fork tube walls. So yes, I think that it solves a different problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was sort of leaning that way.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The shop is closed up? I thought I read on another forum someone getting ready to send their bike's forks/shock in for work.
It would be a nice thing to stop that action.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Question:

With Sasquatch out of business I sen't my front and rear Suspension to Racetech for a complete Rebuild. Heavier Springs, new Bushings, Emulator etc.

Question: With all that done and the suspension winging it's way here .. would anybody still recommend a Forkbrace or is it not really advantageous given the new "heavier" Forks and Shock??

Any advice gleefully accepted.

Hope you will report back on your experience with Racetech, this is what I am thinking of doing to my '11 as well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope you will report back on your experience with Racetech, this is what I am thinking of doing to my '11 as well.
Will do. Given schedule etc., it will probably Tuesday before it arrives and Wednesday to get on. Hopefully with the weekend coming up then I can get it tuned to me and give it a bit of a ride. Put a new (15,625 miles approx off a wreck) in the Wee also so it will be interesting to see how she runs now that she has new suspension and new engine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
racetech spring rate info

Just saw your post, would you mind sharing what spring rates they plan on using? I will be curious as to how it come out.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finally, picked up my (newly) race-tech suspension-ed WeeStrom today. I know they put 1.00 springs in front with the Racetech Emulator and the new rear end. Have to say that I am really, really impressed with the change. It's funny how you don't realize how badly your old suspension has deteriorated over time until it is replaced.

First and most obvious change is the lack of front-end dive when doing a hard stop with heavy front brake application. Wow. All of a sudden the front just "sort of settles" rather than me fighting to keep from diving over the bars.

Second biggest change is how much more compliant and sure footed the front end feels going over speed bumps, pot holes and dead squirrels (etc) is now. Instead of feeling like a 1967 Cadillac with bad shocks on a Chris Craft jumping wakes and going "bump, ditty bump, bump, up-down, shake and rock" it sort of just goes bump and settles right back in with out any harshness or indecisiveness (for lack of a better phrase).

Third biggest change is simply how much better and less squirrelly the rear is now. Again, it is simply compliant, consistent and much smoother going over the same imperfections listed above. And while considerably firmer it is much less "reactive" to problems.

Forth and final biggest change is that the rear and front suspension feel like they operate in harmony and as one system rather then weak front springs occasionally working together with a rear shock. For you dancers out there the best anology I can give you is Swing. When you and your partner are both in-tune and moving together in harmony to the music. Rather than separately... but occasionally as one.

In summary, if funds are tight my personal is that the single (by far) biggest bang for the buck were the new fork springs and emulator. The rear shock (at least at 65,000 odd miles) while definitely a very measurable improvement (particularly over bad pavement, shoulders and curbs) over the original is something that could wait for another time.

Done together (though) the difference is wonderful and co-ordinates well.

That last statement is based on a friend's 2005 Wee that I have ridden quite a bit. He changed the front first (racetech and no emulator) about 3,000 miles ago and just changed the rear last week exactly the same as mine.. His bike has about 75,000 miles on it. In both cases front was the biggest improvement. Combined front and rear is a coordinated success.

YMMV, particularly if you still have very few miles on you bike. Again, if that is the case and I wanted to spend my money in the most efficient way possible I would re-spring the front forks and not worry about putting the emulator in. While the emulator does make a difference, it is in my opinion, much more subtle. The Rear can wait if necessary.

I apologize for this somewhat long winded essay; but there were several messages both on and off board asking for a review. So I tried to be complete. I hope it helps some of you in the decision making process.

BTW. I am 6'0 and 195-200 lbs. Vast majority of riding is one-up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just finally, picked up my (newly) race-tech suspension-ed WeeStrom today. I know they put 1.00 springs in front with the Racetech Emulator and the new rear end.

BTW. I am 6'0 and 195-200 lbs. Vast majority of riding is one-up.
interesting.

i was going to post this in my own thread, but yours seems really relevant to my situation so i hope you don't mind me asking for advice here.

i just picked up my wee last week. the PO weighed 230 and had 0.95 racetech springs in the front, ohlin shocks in the rear.

I weigh 197 (same as you). PO suggested I step down to 0.85 racetech springs, but it sounds like racetech put in 1.00 for you.

a) wth should i do? :)
b) any idea on whether those 30 lbs are significant enough that i should even fuss with tuning the suspension?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Nobody should ever apologize for a long, detailed review on my account. The more info the better.
Good suspension is one of the places worth spending money in my book. I was reminded of this the other night when I had a chance to ride my 1050 Tiger (which I had on consignment at a dealer) after about 3 months. Being reminded of how good the Penske rear shock and gp suspension forks work was a really nice feeling and makes a stock VStrom feel like a really crude tool. Not an indictment of the Strom per se, but a striking contrast that makes one want to send some Strom parts off to Racetech:thumbup:.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting.

i was going to post this in my own thread, but yours seems really relevant to my situation so i hope you don't mind me asking for advice here.

i just picked up my wee last week. the PO weighed 230 and had 0.95 racetech springs in the front, ohlin shocks in the rear.

I weigh 197 (same as you). PO suggested I step down to 0.85 racetech springs, but it sounds like racetech put in 1.00 for you.

b) any idea on whether those 30 lbs are significant enough that i should even fuss with tuning the suspension?

thanks!
Sorry:

I've been riding and just saw your post.

1. I wouldn't change. In my opinion, there is enough adjustability in the front that changing isn't necessary.

2. I don't believe the 30lbs is significant enough that I would fuss with it; unless you just want to play a bit with settings. A friend of mine .. who weighs abut 225-235 ... rode my DL the other day. He commented on how well it rode and how and smooth compliant it was ... particularly over some railroad crossings we passed. He said he wouldn't change anything. Additionally for what it is worth I strapped on a 50lb bag of Horse feed behind me on Friday. I didn't feel the need to change anything.

I know the weight was on the pillion position and thus not quite analogous to a 30 lbs. heavier rider; but regardless I was quite happy with how balanced the new suspension is and don't see a reason to change springs.

I am not a technician or suspension guy by any stretch of the imagination. So I don't know if having a Ohlins rear shock vs a racetech is in anyway significant. Therefore if you are happy with how it is riding I would leave it alone.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
interesting.

thanks!
Should be close enough that you probably wouldn't spot the difference riding the bikes back to back.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Bear in mind that everyone's feel, ride preference and priority is different, and i would classify myself as a sporty-ish road rider with average skills.

I find that when i was at 200lbs, 0.90kg serves me best - 0.85kg was a little too compliant but for the smoothest rider out there- 0.95 was a bit too firm on all but the smoothest pavement. i am now 210lbs and 0.90 is just perfect.

·
Registered
164 Posts
thanks for the info everyone.

sounds like i'll let it be for now as i get used to the bike and have a chance to ride it in a variety of terrain. i'll see what i can play with in terms of settings - i'll have to look that up in the manual or threads here.

longer term though i suspect i will end up swapping down - it sounds from tehse few responses that this is a very firm setup as i suspected (i'm pretty new to riding so i was second guessing myself) and i'll probably try to trade someone here for a set of 85 or 90s

cheers

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
thanks for the info everyone.

sounds like i'll let it be for now as i get used to the bike and have a chance to ride it in a variety of terrain. i'll see what i can play with in terms of settings - i'll have to look that up in the manual or threads here.

longer term though i suspect i will end up swapping down - it sounds from tehse few responses that this is a very firm setup as i suspected (i'm pretty new to riding so i was second guessing myself) and i'll probably try to trade someone here for a set of 85 or 90s

cheers
While you're at it, instead of guessing at this or that I would suggest making a phone call to Racetech and tell them what you have going on. It is entirely possible that they can make some worthwhile suggestions for you. The springs are made to work within a rider weight range and you also have oil weight to consider.
They made the stuff and they are suspension experts so it seems logical to get their input.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
While you're at it, instead of guessing at this or that I would suggest making a phone call to Racetech and tell them what you have going on. .........
They made the stuff and they are suspension experts so it seems logical to get their input.
with all due respect to race-tech, unless the tech guy knows the Vstrom well or has a lot detail data from vstrom (which i doubt anyone has) - his suggestion will be just that. I find their fork spring calculator is at least 1 setting too firm and the rear spring calculator way off- way way off.

Their focus will be more at the sports bike - recommended setting will likely be more useful for those riders - they manufacture good quality components but tuning is down to each rider.

Yes there's a lot of variables to consider and if you are fussy about your suspension, it takes a lot trial and error, unless you are very experienced in tuning.

The 0.95 spring is not too far off, but IMO, it's on the firm side of acceptability.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
with all due respect to race-tech, unless the tech guy knows the Vstrom well or has a lot detail data from vstrom (which i doubt anyone has) - his suggestion will be just that. I find their fork spring calculator is at least 1 setting too firm and the rear spring calculator way off- way way off.

Their focus will be more at the sports bike - recommended setting will likely be more useful for those riders - they manufacture good quality components but tuning is down to each rider.

Yes there's a lot of variables to consider and if you are fussy about your suspension, it takes a lot trial and error, unless you are very experienced in tuning.

The 0.95 spring is not too far off, but IMO, it's on the firm side of acceptability.
Well, they built the stuff he has on his bike and they rebuilt the shock, one might think they didn't just pull it out of their backsides.
You sound far more experienced than the average rider with suspension but lets face it most people don't. They are a shop who builds suspension parts, modify suspensions and have a ton of experience doing it. It makes sense to me to call on that expertise.
Who do you really think knows more about it? Somebody like most of us who has one bike and has their own preferences and limited experience with suspension work or a shop that specializes in it?
Plus, you don't have to take their advice, I just said I would want to get their input. I find it interesting when people buy a product from a specialty shop, have some perceived question about setting it up and the first thing they do is go to a forum rather than talking with the vendor who built the stuff.
Oh, I don't know about the spring calculator thingy, I guess if I thought it was off that would be when I would be calling the tech line and discussing it with them. Like any shop I think when you have something like that on line its probably a general recommendation, not the be all and end all or final word.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had my front suspension done when the bike was new and then rode it.]

For about 65K miles before I put a fork brace on it.

Even after all those miles (now at 100K miles) the brace was one of the best things I added to bike, just wish I didnt wait so long to do it.

It helps to keep the forks square if you will reducing twist which lets them work better as designed when needed.

Not a bad mod and one I recommend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks for all the insights everyone. I'm 200 and ride two up and do a fair amount of sport touring. i have a set of 1.0kg Race Tech springs that i am going to install. I was going to send the rear off to Sasquatch.......sorry to hear he is no longer in the rebuild business..........anyone have an after market rear shock for an 03 DL1K?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts