StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a Strom purchase to replace my '87 Transalp (replace is harsh ... it's going to sit next to my Alp :smile2:)

Used units are few and far between in my part of the world plus I want to go new(ish) this time round. I'm not partial to either the 650 or the 1000,

Dealer in town has the following available:

2015 DL650 demo (approx 300km / 190mi) - warranty already started on unit, need to see if it would be 5-yrs less whatever's been used or if it falls into the normal 1-yr.

2014 DL1000, 5-yr warranty, priced $1000 (Cdn) above the 2015 Demo

2015 650XT, 5-yr warranty, priced ~$2000 (Cdn) above the Demo / $1000 above the DL1000

On all I would put on sump guard and center stand,

XT has side and top rack plus cases and engine guard, and the plastic hand guards. The spoked wheels are sharp but I don't put a premium on them.

On the demo or the 1000, I'd outfit with side racks and likely use my first gen Givi Trekkers; probably put top rack & box on the down the road list; Bark Busters; and engine guards, and possibly windscreen & mount upgrade.

From reading on the forum, looks like the 2014 1000 has a few gremlin's but nothing that isn't / wouldn't be covered by warranty.

I'm a bit into the overthinking stage so figured I'd reach out for some advice. Thoughts?

Cheers

Rick

·
Registered
54 Posts
buy

Allways get a out the door price and make sure to say any and all Tax,title,handling fees and extras and so called fees some what to add after the deal is done.A friend just made a out the door he thought and they added a #200 paper fee.Taking the papers to DMV and giving you paper and title when you pick it up.I would have backed out myself.
In 1974 a out of state dealer beat all three in state dealers I checked by $500!!I phoned again before leaving making sure it was the total and it was.Luck with me as best dealer I have ever ran across was here from 1976 till 2016 when he sold out in Jan.. He is allso one of the best friends I have and we hit it off from day one both being old car nuts as well as loving bikes.Got over half my over 30 bikes right here at home:grin2:.

·
Registered
603 Posts
R_Rick, It really depends who you are. I do not like the XT cases as they stick way out. If you go with the demo, 2K can outfit some really nice cases and probably all the other gear you want. If you need the extra power of the dl1000, you gain better suspension and brakes to boot. Suspension and brakes are dependent on your riding style of course.

Given the three choices you provided, I would take the demo bike and use the 2k to farkle it up.

Any of the three however are very good choices.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Tell us more about how you ride. Any two-up (maybe look to the 1000)? Do much off-road (the XT may make more sense)? Are you going to sell the bike relatively soon (you'll take a hit on the 2014 being another year older)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am primarily solo rider with occasional 2-up (2-up limited to short ~1/2 days on back roads). Bit of off road; lot of fire roads / gravel / etc. Tend to keep bikes for 5+ years (20+ yrs riding and I'm now looking for number 4). With our dollar in the toilet against the US, aftermarket farkles are pricey compared to US pricing (tack 20 to 25% on for exchange). I ride a 30-year old Alp - HP and speed aren't at top of my priority list, I do value comfort. When I'm riding I don't tend to stop for much other than food and fuel (and the odd picture) and enjoy putting on 300 to 500 mile days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did ask dealer what warranty is left on the demo - said it has the remainder of the 1-yr (~10 1/2 months) and not eligible for Suzuki's 5-yr special. If I can believe everything I read on the 'net about the overall reliability of the bike, I'm not too concerned with losing a month of warranty against standard 1-yr. Will possibly give me some bargaining room on accessory deals (just double checked my notes - diff between the demo and the XT is closer to C$2900, not $2K). I'm certain I'll have 5-mins of buyers remorse regardless of which I choose then will get on with riding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the 1000 dollars over the demo 650 I'd opt for the new 1000.

you'd still have a 1000 left for a skid plate, Center stand and racks for your existing bags
Hey Dave, how you making out? I'm the R_Rick who bought your Trekker side cases cpl year back.

I mis-read my notes - the demo is $2K below the 1000, ~$3K below then XT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi,

i have a 15wee with spoke wheels and accessories i transferred from my 11 wee. my 15 was outside the recall for the valve tappets but i am having handling issues with the bike and Suzuki customer service in Toronto is not stepping up with helpful ideas never mind cover the work under my 2yr warranty. My 15 has 8k km and it wobbles like crazy accelerating and decelerating each time it passes through 50-70 kmh. They argued that my bike is modified because i have non-oem accessories like heated grips, luggage, seat etc and blame the tires. I think buying from the dealer is a good idea because you can pressure them into a test ride especially on the demo. its the only opportunity you will have to drive the very bike you buy. It took me 2k km to identify my handling issues and have not been able to make the Suzuki 2yr warranty work for me, so my recommendation is ride before you buy because the Suzuki warranty and customer service is not likely going to help.

Read about the dozens reporting on the famous "wobble" issue and if you have a chance to take the bike out get up to 80kmh and lightly hold the handlebars as the bike decelerates. In my case the mirrors start to flap back and forth like an elephants ears.

good luck
ride safe

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Dave, how you making out? I'm the R_Rick who bought your Trekker side cases cpl year back.

I mis-read my notes - the demo is $2K below the 1000, ~$3K below then XT.

I'm doing good. Picked up a new 14 1000 at the end of 14, so far 17000 trouble free Kms

2000 is a lot of dough but I'd still go with the 1000, it really is a great bike

I replaced the original Trekkers with a set of the Trekker outbacks

This is how she sits now

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi,

Read about the dozens reporting on the famous "wobble" issue and if you have a chance to take the bike out get up to 80kmh and lightly hold the handlebars as the bike decelerates. In my case the mirrors start to flap back and forth like an elephants ears.

good luck
ride safe
Is this wobble restricted to the spoked wheel variants only or does same occur on cast wheels?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this wobble restricted to the spoked wheel variants only or does same occur on cast wheels?
Not at all, i have friends riding a 2012+ Dl650 with mag wheels and they experience the same thing. Also, the history notes on this site discussing the Suzuki DL650 famous front end wobble go back to 2007 and that's well before the X models with spokes. The severity varies but i have not seen a gap in model years mentioned. Frankly i am a bit surprised and would have expected Suzuki to be more proactive in solving the issue on such a popular model or at least offer a bulletin on resolving it. I also contacted Transport Cdn to review their data base of previous complaints and it seems no previous complaints have been filed. Go figure, a handling issue on a 2 wheel vehicle and everyone experiencing it is holding their breath.

·
aka Rick in Alabama
501 Posts
I'm leaning toward it - I can put together a decent kit with the $2K+ difference between it and the XT.
To me your own observation answers the question.

Speaking personally, the difference in power was not enough to make me choose a DL1000 over the DL650.

And $2k you can do any necessary tweaks and have it outfitted exquisitely. I bought a zero miles, left-over 2014 out the door for well less than the original MSRP.

My biggest challenge in ironing out the adjustments were dealing with buffeting issues and with ergonomics. Resolving those issues to my satisfaction called for a set of Augustus deflectors and a Givi Airflow windshield (buffeting), and a set of bar-backs and a +2" upper brake hose (ergonomics).

Those tweaks alone cost me ~ $450 US.

Just my humble opinion -

·
Registered
249 Posts
The wobble can be fixed by changing out the steering stem ball bearings to roller bearings. See Black Lab Adventures https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/02/28/steering-stem-bearing-replacement-upgrade/.
When the tires start to wear it seems to cause the wobble. I really never noticed it until I took my hands off the bars when slowing down. I didn't have the time or tools to do it myself so I got the bearings and had a shop do it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Some other factors you might take under consideration. Higher insurance premium on 1000. Running premium gas. Much more used accesoris available for 650. If you do a lot of forest roads and gravel in my opinion lower HP bike has an advantage over more power full one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after an agonizing week of flip-flopping between a left over 650 and 1K, reading far too much about both bikes, watching far too many videos, etc, I've pulled the trigger on a '14 1K.

I had chance to take one out this morning as part of a Suzuki Canada demo-day. Absolutely loved it (talked to another guy who rode the other 1K they had avail, he absolutely hated it). I'll likely swap out the windscreen at some point but the buffeting was nothing compared to my Transalp.

Now the agonizing wait for it to get prepped ....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts