StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I camp about 60 days a year. I'm always charging my phone, blue tooth helmet, etc. I've been using my SAE plug coming from battery for battery tender with a female cig plug.
Decided to run an un-switched double USB plug to help facilitate more charging options.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Nice clean install.

I've read that sometimes USB ports have a parasitic draw even when nothing is plugged into them. Don't know if it's true or applicable in your case.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ride my bike year round. Think the draw would be negligible, if any. But it is a locking cig plug USB, that can easily be removed and left as an empty socket if need be.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I stuck one on the handlebar and made it switched.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That just duplicates the factory one. I wanted one that can charge with key in my pocket.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Right - I needed another port up front but changing it to non-switched is as easy as moving the wire in the Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse box to one of the two non-switched circuits. Maybe 2 minutes. I have the Battery Tender Jr plug under the seat if I need it as well direct to the battery but I am afraid I would forget once and get stranded. lol I could toss my 2000a Genius in the top case for a big trip. ;-)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha ha. Yeah, I have the battery tender SAE plug right next to my new port. I can charge 3 things while I sleep now. Geez. Try to get away from electronic devices while I travel. Look at me.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have not done a very good job of getting away from electronics devices. lol

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I have mine in the top box so I can leave stuff on charge and walk away.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
I use the cigarette plug outlet I use to power the GPS with a 2 headed cord or put the phone in the tank bag using the single recharge cord overnight.
The USB is nice but not so versatile. I can back charge the battery using the ciggy plug too. And I can run the air compressor on that too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Nice job 2stroke !
I agree that unswitched charging is very handy. I have a SAE dongle in just about that same location but on the left side. It is wired unswitched to the battery and I use it for my e-vest while I'm riding and I made up a SAE to powerport with about a 16" cord so I can put my phone under the locked seat to charge when I'm at lunch, etc.

Reactions: 2stroke

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have two cigarette lighter adapters. Actually 3, if I unplug USB, (1 switched, 2 unswitched) and 2 USB adapters. Plus an SAE plug for battery tender. My air compressor under seat will hook up to SAE or Cigarette adapter too.

·
Registered
15,605 Posts
"I can do that as well with my SAE plug."

Didn't think the USB would handle the current for a compressor. Totally cool.
I was thinking about the big 12 ga wire I have coming from the battery to the ciggy outlet.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
The Stop-n-go compressor only draws about 6 amps. Some of the bigger ones go 10amps. USB 3.0 cables were limited to about 5 amps. I used the Battery Tender connected straight to the battery when I had several flats. It has a standard 12v power adapter that plugs in the their connector.

·
Registered
409 Posts
How do you like that USB plug? I have the Blue Sea Sky one, and the rubber cap sticks on there so hard that the rubber nub ripped off when I tried to un-cap it. Now I have to pry it off with my key to get to my USB ports. I'm glad that it is so well sealed, but it's pretty annoying.

Which plug is it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts