StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Was just on the phone to the police assistance hotline and in the conversation she brought to my awareness a new phone App called emergency + which will give your Lat -Longitude co-ordinates with a accuracy within 11mtrs .I don`t know if this has been mentioned the forum previously but won`t hurt to mention it again the App is available in both Android and Apple.You never know it may help if you have a off one day or just need to know where you are. Best of all the App was free

Thanks all
tweed-strom

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's a great App, have it on my IPhone. Great for those times you are out and not sure of the address or location. A couple in the Blue Mts used it to notify Emergency Services when they found some abseilers in trouble, one had fallen and died the other was stuck on the ropes.
Is free, well worth putting on the phone.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thnx for that Steve, I'll download it once I get some juice back into the battery. Could become the most valueable app on the phone one day.

Good to see you again at the gathering:thumbup:

wobbly_boot

Dave

·
Registered
362 Posts
I heard one mob at work recommending this app as an alternate to the 'vital call' for the elderly or infirm -- due to the cost of vital call and emergency + being free and useful. One of their elderly clients put them on to it. I have it on my phone, so was able to give them a demo

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have it on my phone , would be very helpful if you came across an accident.

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
I first heard of it last year when the NSW Deputy Police Commissioner, Catherine Burn, came across an abseiling death and a rescue in the Blue Mountains and used it to call in assistance.

One of the first on the scene to help with Ms Donohue's rescue was NSW deputy police commissioner Catherine Burn, off duty and about to abseil down the same point before she was flagged down by Canadian tourists who had heard Ms Donohue's cries for help.

Deputy Commissioner Burn was able to pinpoint the location for rescuers using a new emergency+ app that provides accurate GPS readings.
Blue Mountains abseiling death: Darren Bull remembered as 'giant of a man'

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I have the Emergency+ app on my phone, handy for giving location details and so forth when you don't have your precise location or just plain have no idea where the heck you are.
It will dial police for non urgent contact, or 000 for emergency situations at a single touch of your phone screen, and will give you the address/location details you need to pass on to the 000 operator.

Here is a link to some general info about the app, and other useful apps as well.

Triple Zero (000)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Downloaded it last night, took me till now to read all the disclaimers:green_lol:
Seriously though looks good, thanks for sharing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah have had it on my iPhone for a while now and at the Motorcycle First Aid course I did recently they also endorsed it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes, it need service. That is the downside.Still good to have though.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
does the phone need service to work ? :confused:
Yes, it need service. That is the downside.Still good to have though.
I think the app will still give your location as it is GPS based for that part of what it does.

But it needs network to make the phone call (any provider network is accessible for 000 or 112 emergency calls, it does not have to be the network of the company you have your mobile phone with).

At least by having your location details, either road address or Lat/Long, you can send someone off to get network coverage or find a landline phone to call for help.

With the exact location emergency services can drop a chopper right on top of you with a medical team.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I think the app will still give your location as it is GPS based for that part of what it does.

But it needs network to make the phone call (any provider network is accessible for 000 or 112 emergency calls, it does not have to be the network of the company you have your mobile phone with).

At least by having your location details, either road address or Lat/Long, you can send someone off to get network coverage or find a landline phone to call for help.

With the exact location emergency services can drop a chopper right on top of you
Why would they do that :confused: :green_lol: :green_lol:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
With the exact location emergency services can drop a chopper right on top of you with a medical team.
Why would they do that :confused: :green_lol: :green_lol:
For being such an arsehole and crashing in the middle of nowhere of course. :fineprint:

:green_lol: :green_lol:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Done!

Hi All
Was just on the phone to the police assistance hotline and in the conversation she brought to my awareness a new phone App called emergency + which will give your Lat -Longitude co-ordinates with a accuracy within 11mtrs .I don`t know if this has been mentioned the forum previously but won`t hurt to mention it again the App is available in both Android and Apple.You never know it may help if you have a off one day or just need to know where you are. Best of all the App was free

Thanks all
tweed-strom
Hi tweed-strom,
Thanks for the info, just installed it. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Mike
:cheers2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts