StromTrooper banner

New Pegs

7K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  ladukebob 
#1 ·
As with many of you, winter is a time to work on the bike. I'm excited, as the man in brown brought me, my new pegs......

See less See more
#6 ·
Well they are not an exact fit but for the money there ok. I cut off the mounting tab and re-welded it further forward on the peg thus moving the peg back a little. Puts the peg almost to where the stock peg was. The biggest difference was while I rotated the peg forward a little while I was re-welding. Puts the peg in a more natural position and makes getting my boot under the shifter a little easier. When I have time I try to get a few photos.

#7 ·
I just got mine friday and my 13 boot was already to close to the shifter, now its really bad. I was just thinking of how i was going to fix this.

I'd like some pics when you get time! Maybe doing what you did, plus it looks like i could cut the little spacer on the footpeg off and put it on top instead of on the bottom. that would move the peg down/back about 5/16" too.

#10 ·
Cast steel doesn't make it cheap steel, and I suspect these to be made of pretty good steel by the way they welded back together. I have all the confidence in the world these pegs will hold up much better then the stock aluminum pegs. Have you taken a good look at the stock pegs? I'm surprised I've never broke one.

#15 ·
If you land one of these heavy heffers hard enough to break a peg off that will probably be the least of your worrys. Steel pegs just takes the breakage to the next thing in line the bracket.:confused:

#11 ·
I wouldn't trust cast metal (AKA pot metal) for foot pegs.....period. There's a reason IMS get premium $ for their stainless steel pegs. Early Suzuki DR650 OEM pegs get my vote:)

I here ya and this was my orininal concern as well, but after a lot of research and reading many product reviews on these pegs.....not a single reported failure.

#12 ·
Circa 1998 DR650 "narrow" pegs:

Good old welded carbon steel:)

Those are the pegs I wish I had bought. The new DR200 pegs are also really nice and fit the Strom perfectly and have rotational adjustment.

#13 ·
For those with Big Foot clearence problems on the shifter, did you ever consider raising the shift lever it is easy to relocate. :confused:

#14 ·
Of course but the problem is the distance from the front of the peg to the shifter. Stock is 5" and these new pegs is 4.25" Trust me I spent a lot of time fiddling around with the height adjustment.

#20 ·
If you ride dirt bikes or know someone who does look at the pegs. They are most likely worn down in the front. While sitting in your chair move your legs back into the position they might be on your Strom and notice the angle of your feet. Your toes are tilted down, its the more natural position. It doesn't matter that much with narrow pegs because you simply rotate your foot on them but these pegs have a large surface area which makes it a little more difficult and thats why I rotated them a little when I re-welded.

#21 · (Edited)
I got my set of ebay pegs in the OP pics.

Nice and wide but eats up to much foot room and i was already short on foot room with a 13 boot.

I cut off the peg mounts and welded them back on so they are down some and back some.

I gained a 1/2" more let room(pegs down) and 1" more room from the peg to the shifter. Thats 1" more than the ebay pegs in thier original position and 1/4" more than stock.
I also angled them forward a bit..... aaaahhh.... much better. Well in the garage anyway, time will tell once the snow melts and warms up a bit.
Plus this is easy to put back to stock if the next buyer doesn't want or need it.

I also cut the spring holder off and moved it to the other side.

#22 ·
Just curious. If your time was worth a dollar value per hour....How much would your dollar per hour time be worth? Lots of peg options out there. I make $25 an hour at work so I think it's fair to think that while I'm at home I should equate that value into whatever it takes to modify something to fit my Strom. I had to modify nothing to make DR650 pegs work so....my dollar versus labor cost to make the pegs work (unmodified) = nothing more than the cost of the parts (about $37). Just stirring the pot:)

I know what you mean. I would have ordered the pegs you posted if i hadn't of already ordered these by the time i seen your post. But to late.
Only took about an hour to mod these. But would have been easier to get others.

The company i work for has put us all to 32 hours a week, plus its snowing and cold as hell here.. i got lots of time to kill right now.

#23 ·
Just curious. If your time was worth a dollar value per hour....How much would your dollar per hour time be worth? Lots of peg options out there. I make $25 an hour at work so I think it's fair to think that while I'm at home I should equate that value into whatever it takes to modify something to fit my Strom. I had to modify nothing to make DR650 pegs work so....my dollar versus labor cost to make the pegs work (unmodified) = nothing more than the cost of the parts (about $37). Just stirring the pot:)

Jeez....what a pathetic existance to have to put an hourly dollar value to one's hobby.

#24 ·
mmm.. actually for the $37 bucks for the DR650 pegs vs the $13 for ebay pegs plus my labor/hour i saved money(well because i make less money than you Tom). Plus i got some extra leg room and toe to shifter room as well and an angle change. ... LOL stirring the pot right back.

Funny actually. Having a nice welding shop, i will spend a lot of time making things. Some save money, some probably don't. But i enjoy it and winter is dead time anyway.

Now when it comes to auto repair/mait: Other than changing my own oil i find everything else is a waste of my time because i get no satisfaction out of it.

#25 · (Edited)
If you get enjoyment from the process of modifying the parts to fit, then you have to subtract entertainment value from the total. Besides, if you were, say, watching a movie, you wouldn't be getting paid your hourly rate anyway.

$13.00 (Pegs) - $21 (Average cost of a movie for 2) - $18 (Average snacks for 2) - $3 (Gas to go to movie) - $25 (Babysitter while at the movie) = -$54

So, by Tom's logic, Gravehunter actually made $54 by modding those pegs versus spending $37 on Tom's pegs.

Just stirring the pot. :p

#27 ·
If you think thats a waste of time, i guess i better not tell you that when my front TKC tire gets to cupping i take a sand flap disc on a grinder and smooth every knob one at a time. LOL :D It extends the life and smoothness of my tire but time wise i'm sure i'd be better of just replacing it.

#28 ·
someone who understands the value of time, I'm self employed, and charge $100+ per hr depending on what I am doing , I don't do any of my own wrenching, can't afford to, my dealer only charges $72/hr and has trained mechanics, if I were to do it myself, first, I have to spend the money for all the tools to do the job right, have the workspace, common parts on hand or consider my time to run for parts, chemicals etc, then if I actually do the work, I know it will take me twice as long.

I bought my bike to ride, not wrench

#29 ·
Its all relative to how much you make or what else you have to do with your time. Anyone who makes alot of money is going to consider doing most anything themselves a waste of time.

#30 ·
Its all relative to how much you make or what else you have to do with your time. Anyone who makes alot of money is going to consider doing most anything themselves a waste of time.

Well.....I have a very healthy income....and I don't have that mentality. My job can be stressful at times and I get a lot of good out of 'wrenching' on my bike. Since the day I purchased the bike, I have done 100% of the maintenance, including tire mounting and balancing. Soon to come, will be the valve check, balancing the secondaries and possible TBS (if I get brave enough to do this to my '07).

So yeah, I suppose some guys who have a healthy bank account would be more prone to running it in to the dealer every time or purchasing foot pegs that don't need modification, but then there are some who simply like to work on their bike regardless of their salary.

By the way, I choose the KLR foot pegs....not because they were cheap, but because they were the design I preferred and if I have to modify....so be it.

#34 ·
Those who don't enjoy working on their own bikes will never understand why some of us do. We, on the other hand, will never understand how someone could not derive enjoyment and satisfaction from wrenching and modding. Some see motorcycle maintenance as a burden that would require the purchase of more tools, while some see it as recreation that gives us an excuse to buy more tools. Neither side is right or wrong, we just see things differently.

#37 ·
Quick question, and it's not related to time or money.

Any of you blokes with serrated off-road-style footpegs have any comments about the vibration compared to the stock rubber-topped pegs?
More vibes? Less? Same?
Be interested to hear.

#39 ·
Sorry but no I don't, I took one off a showroom floor model and took it outside and fit it on my Strom. But I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up what your looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.