StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As with many of you, winter is a time to work on the bike. I'm excited, as the man in brown brought me, my new pegs......

·
Registered
84 Posts
I mounted a pair just like yours a couple of weeks ago. So far I am liking them alot more than the stockers.;)

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted a pair just like yours a couple of weeks ago. So far I am liking them alot more than the stockers.;)

I totally agree......10x better than stockers and amazing switch-out for less than $20.

Here they are on the bike.....

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
They look great! Where did you get them from?

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Well they are not an exact fit but for the money there ok. I cut off the mounting tab and re-welded it further forward on the peg thus moving the peg back a little. Puts the peg almost to where the stock peg was. The biggest difference was while I rotated the peg forward a little while I was re-welding. Puts the peg in a more natural position and makes getting my boot under the shifter a little easier. When I have time I try to get a few photos.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Well they are not an exact fit but for the money there ok. I cut off the mounting tab and re-welded it further forward on the peg thus moving the peg back a little. Puts the peg almost to where the stock peg was. The biggest difference was while I rotated the peg forward a little while I was re-welding. Puts the peg in a more natural position and makes getting my boot under the shifter a little easier. When I have time I try to get a few photos.
I just got mine friday and my 13 boot was already to close to the shifter, now its really bad. I was just thinking of how i was going to fix this.

I'd like some pics when you get time! Maybe doing what you did, plus it looks like i could cut the little spacer on the footpeg off and put it on top instead of on the bottom. that would move the peg down/back about 5/16" too.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hummm....with all the stress pegs take (especially with my 260 lbs standing on them in rough, off-road conditions....)....I don't think I would trust a weld on cast metal.

Anyway, I must renig on my comment in a previous post....yep, my size 14's are cramped as well. I think I am going to cut off the 'spring sleeve', which should drop the peg a little and move it a little back. I will then have to move the spring from the bottom to the top....I don't think it will be a problem and will report how it goes.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Cast steel doesn't make it cheap steel, and I suspect these to be made of pretty good steel by the way they welded back together. I have all the confidence in the world these pegs will hold up much better then the stock aluminum pegs. Have you taken a good look at the stock pegs? I'm surprised I've never broke one.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't trust cast metal (AKA pot metal) for foot pegs.....period. There's a reason IMS get premium $ for their stainless steel pegs. Early Suzuki DR650 OEM pegs get my vote:)

I here ya and this was my orininal concern as well, but after a lot of research and reading many product reviews on these pegs.....not a single reported failure.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Circa 1998 DR650 "narrow" pegs:

Good old welded carbon steel:)

Those are the pegs I wish I had bought. The new DR200 pegs are also really nice and fit the Strom perfectly and have rotational adjustment.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
For those with Big Foot clearence problems on the shifter, did you ever consider raising the shift lever it is easy to relocate. :confused:

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
For those with Big Foot clearence problems on the shifter, did you ever consider raising the shift lever it is easy to relocate. :confused:
Of course but the problem is the distance from the front of the peg to the shifter. Stock is 5" and these new pegs is 4.25" Trust me I spent a lot of time fiddling around with the height adjustment.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Cast steel doesn't make it cheap steel, and I suspect these to be made of pretty good steel by the way they welded back together. I have all the confidence in the world these pegs will hold up much better then the stock aluminum pegs. Have you taken a good look at the stock pegs? I'm surprised I've never broke one.
If you land one of these heavy heffers hard enough to break a peg off that will probably be the least of your worrys. Steel pegs just takes the breakage to the next thing in line the bracket.:confused:

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
If you land one of these heavy heffers hard enough to break a peg off that will probably be the least of your worrys. Steel pegs just takes the breakage to the next thing in line the bracket.:confused:

Good point, I just hadn't run across any aluminum off road pegs. Seems everything is made from steel for some reason, cost?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good point, I just hadn't run across any aluminum off road pegs. Seems everything is made from steel for some reason, cost?
I stopped in and talked to Chris today and we were talking pegs and I had him show me the DR200 pegs. Very nice just steep in price. We found some others that were deeper and had more teeth and they were $50. No rotation adjustment but may be a good alternative to save you $70. They had them on one of there Suzuki dirt bikes. I can't remeber which bike though. I will look again next time I'm in.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
I stopped in and talked to Chris today and we were talking pegs and I had him show me the DR200 pegs. Very nice just steep in price. We found some others that were deeper and had more teeth and they were $50. No rotation adjustment but may be a good alternative to save you $70. They had them on one of there Suzuki dirt bikes. I can't remeber which bike though. I will look again next time I'm in.
Yep, too much money for me.

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
Apart from the obvious expense, are PivotPegz a good choice?
If you ride dirt bikes or know someone who does look at the pegs. They are most likely worn down in the front. While sitting in your chair move your legs back into the position they might be on your Strom and notice the angle of your feet. Your toes are tilted down, its the more natural position. It doesn't matter that much with narrow pegs because you simply rotate your foot on them but these pegs have a large surface area which makes it a little more difficult and thats why I rotated them a little when I re-welded.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts