StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I like the "standard sit up" riding position, there aren't many bikes to choose from. When I started looking (back in '98-'99), I found the Honda 750 Nighthawk and the BMW R1100R. The Honda was nothing special, the BMW was too much money. So I bought a Banidt 1200. I knew in less than a month that it was a mistake. Very uncomfortable for me (leaning too far forward ) and my passenger (sloped seat). Our butts hurt after an hour. Buzzy engine. Sold the Bandit and bought the BMW!

I now have only 12,000 miles on the BMW (this is the "step child" model....very few factory or aftermarked accessories). I'm not all that impressed. Lots of great technology and engineering, only to be flawed in execution!! Lots of quirks. Some quirks are okay. I've owned French cars (and still have one....GREAT SEATS). :wink:

I just bought an '04 V-Strom 1000. Before I sell the BMW (or the V-Strom!), I need to ride the V-Strom and make sure it fits me. That I'll like it and not mind the chain drive, etc. I spent over $600 on a Russell seat for the BMW and still could not get more than 1 1/2 hours of ride time before I got "the burn". WELL, I can't ride the V-Strom longer either. Lots of wind noise and buffeting, too. I'm 5'6", 165 lbs., 30" inseam, no meat "back there".

Before too much time passes, I need to either make this bike work and sell the BMW or make the BMW work and sell the V-Strom. I'm hoping to keep the V-Strom, BUTT I NEED HELP! I just joined, so there's lots of reading to catch up on.

The BMW list was a rather "mature" group of guys (not many guys in their 20's). I don't know who's on this site. I'm 51 years old (like that really matters, right?).

Thanks to all who help! :?

·
Registered
351 Posts
What's your beef with the V-Strom. I have a bad back and this has been one of the most comfortable bikes for me.

Scooter

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No "beef" on my butt (no fault of the bike). Others don't like the seat ass well. Wind noise and buffeting...depends on many factors. Can probably work those out as well. Thinking of Mayer and Bailey fixes. Probably sell the BMW for it's many "un-refined" features.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Most bikes need to be alter to suit the rider. Yes the seat should be modified for long distance rides. Even on bikes twice the price ie. BMW' s people alter the seats.I find the suspension to soft and have altered it.

Good Luck with your mods

Scooter

R

·
0 Posts
No "beef" on my butt (no fault of the bike).
Now that is funny!

My V-Strom replaced my BMW R1100RS. I love the V-Strom (why I started the site) and I don't miss my BMW (had an RT too).

Brendan
Stromtrooper.com

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The biggest change for me was replacing the POS windshield with one from Fairingscreens.com... It is tall and wider.. i can ride with my Faceshield open all day with not much buffetting/noise either.

I also recently had the seat redone most practically $$ wise rather than
shell out $600 for a Corbin. Other than some other little things like drilling my pipes and cutting my rear fender shorter, adding center stand and 12v powerport for my GPS and a lock on Tank Bag I am very very very very very happy and I got off of a Full Dress Harley!!! Now that was comfy but a slug. This V-Strom does it all!!! I have ridden 4000 miles locally in less than 2 months!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow-up...

Every time I ride the BMW after riding the V-Strom, it feels like the BMW has a flat rear tire! Mostly noticed at low speed, but what a difference!

D

·
0 Posts
Hey, young whippersnapper, I don't know about the DL1000, but I sold an R1150RT to buy a DL650 and I'm having fun again. :D I replaced the stock seat with a DL1000 gel touring seat and it's great (stock windscreen in the 2nd position). You might ask your dealer about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts