StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a crash course (Bad choice of wording?) regarding Crash Bar, Center Stand & Skid Plate for '18 DL1K XT. Leave for NV ride on Aug 4th (75% of road). Does SWMotech, GIVI or other... offer all three as compatible system? Am I to mix and match suppliers? Do I assume all '14 yrs and above products fit '18. I can live without skid and centerstand for this trip but don't want to buy incompatible crash bars in haste. Intended to use my KLR for trip but that shiny yellow beauty is obviously messing with my head as it sits with anticipation next to my trusty thumper... :confused:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can confirm that the SW Motech Crash bars and skid plate from the 2016, also fit the 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
All '14+ DL1000 accessories work on the '18 model.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Don't skip the skidplate!!! It would be a sad day to see oil pouring out of your badass brand new bike in the middle of nowhere just because of a stupid rock (Or some other obstacle).......:frown2:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
All '14+ DL1000 accessories work on the '18 model.
Not all. Sides of the subframe are closer to each other on '18 model, for example. I had to do a lot of modification on my Givi topbox brackets and Givi now sells different brackets for '18. Then Crash Bars that have center crossbar just bellow the beak will not work on '18 model as it has the beak lower and bigger then '14 model. And so on...

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!... My current concern is conflict between new Skid Plate and New Center Stand.... I am moving forward with SW Crash Bars which I assume have no shared fastening points or fit up issues with aftermarket Plates or Stands. Are there certain Skid Plates which are not compatible with Stands I should be aware of? Thanks CE

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Not all. Sides of the subframe are closer to each other on '18 model, for example. I had to do a lot of modification on my Givi topbox brackets and Givi now sells different brackets for '18. Then Crash Bars that have center crossbar just bellow the beak will not work on '18 model as it has the beak lower and bigger then '14 model. And so on...
Sorry, I meant all accessories that he was asking about. I've never seen crash bars that cross below the beak so that is my bad, I guess.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thanks all!... My current concern is conflict between new Skid Plate and New Center Stand.... I am moving forward with SW Crash Bars which I assume have no shared fastening points or fit up issues with aftermarket Plates or Stands. Are there certain Skid Plates which are not compatible with Stands I should be aware of? Thanks CE
I'd be wary of SW Motech stuff, especially their crash bars. I had two sets of their bars break welds for no reason; the ones on my '18 XT broke at 3,000 miles and less than a month. At least one other forum member had the same exact breakage issue on his XT bars. And of course the Suzuki OEM bars (made by SW Motech) on the 2012-2016 650s broke welds a lot as well. Generally sketchy stuff, IMO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I understand we are all trying to be helpful, but please bear in mind. A statement like ‘all will fit’ can end up costing someone money and aggravation when the part they just ordered from another country doesn’t fit. Not only is there the frustration of fitment, but now the buyer has to deal with shipping it back, possibly a restocking fee, postage fees and possible tariffs.

Again, I know everyone is being helpful; let’s just be cautious of all encompassing phrases.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd be wary of SW Motech stuff, especially their crash bars. I had two sets of their bars break welds for no reason; the ones on my '18 XT broke at 3,000 miles and less than a month. At least one other forum member had the same exact breakage issue on his XT bars. And of course the Suzuki OEM bars (made by SW Motech) on the 2012-2016 650s broke welds a lot as well. Generally sketchy stuff, IMO.

I will check the welds on my SW crash bars at lunch.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I will check the welds on my SW crash bars at lunch.

The crossover tube, right at the exhaust header, was mine and the other '18 owner's point of failure.

I guess technically it isn't a weld that failed:

On my 650 it was a weld on the throttle side, just cracked apart. Non 'OEM' SW bars (the black ones, not the Suzuki gray ones).

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I understand we are all trying to be helpful, but please bear in mind. A statement like ‘all will fit’ can end up costing someone money and aggravation when the part they just ordered from another country doesn’t fit. Not only is there the frustration of fitment, but now the buyer has to deal with shipping it back, possibly a restocking fee, postage fees and possible tariffs.

Again, I know everyone is being helpful; let’s just be cautious of all encompassing phrases.

Caveat emptor, man.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I realize everybody's preferences are different, but if I were taking a long trip--and I did not that long after I got my '14 DL1K-- the 1st thing I would get--and did-- would be a center stand. Chain lubing, tire removal, loading/unloading the bike, the stand makes it all much easier.
True, I wouldnt want to crack an engine case, or tear up the body work, and you can't know if either incident would happen, although it most certainly could. But I know I'd be using that centerstand on the trip many, many other times as well for basic maintenance if nothing else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A center stand certainly makes my life easier. Also the added security on asphalt, at least I FEEL that a center stand is safer on asphalt (read: hot sun, soft asphalt, lbs/inch on a side stand foot...)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Dwayneh, I'm not so sure about the security of a centerstand on hot asphalt. The triangle of the stand's feet and the front tire appears smaller than when on the sidestand, and Ive seen bikes topple over as one of the legs sinks.
I use a dedicated sidestand coaster under my sidestand's foot when parking on iffy surfaces.
I keep it in my tankbag, has a tether that attaches to the handlebar to pull it it back up after I get on the bike and take weight off the sidestand. Inexpensive, takes very little room, and can save you from "an unfortunate event".

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have almost the same setup. I just FEEL more secure with the bike on the center stand. I rarely use the side stand.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Not even from another country. Unless I can verify the part number is correct for the year vehicle involved, I wont even try.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again all for your help... got bars and plate installed along with 60/40 (shinko 804/805) installed and ready for back OR,NV backroads next week One big issue I was note expecting was ridiculous front fender clearance WTF! Never a mention in any ride reports etc. Have raising kit coming but was not please with this design flaw... here's before and after... it will never look this pretty again I fear!

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
For the center stand, you can't go wrong using the OEM. When I was shopping for center stand for my V2, the SW Motech was actually close to the same price as the OEM, so I went with the OEM. I know that it would likely work with any skid plate I find because engineers would design their skid plates to work with OEM center stands, but not necessarily a competitor's center stand.

To Meefzah - are you sure your Motech bars didn't get stressed at installation? When I installed the Motech bars on my V2, I accidentally mixed up two of the spacers, resulting in a barely noticeable tweak in the joint at the header. At closer inspection, realized that the two spacers on each side on the engine were just slightly different thicknesses, which caused the bars to bind at that point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts