StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be the best spot to check in. Im a new owner of an 04 vee and enjoying the bike a lot. Ive seen a few others in my limited rides so far but was wondering if there was a local club or any type of organized rides around. Or if anyone has any favorite destinationsfor day rides
Looking forward to many miles
So Cal DL
Randy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm also riding a vee, a 2012, in San Diego.

Haven't found any club or organized rides, but there is an adventure rider group down here.

So far I've kept to the paved roads. I like to ride up to Palomar mountain, Cuyamaca/Laguna mountains, and out to the Anza Borrego desert (Fall/Winter/Spring).

My hope is to get my act together and start extending my riding range. Sequoia/Kings Canyon is pretty close, Yosemite and Big Sur not much further, and Northern California would be great.

Up your way, you should probably check out the Ortega Hwy 74. It seems to be a popular ride, though I haven't done it myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqP9lAC6_mg
Ortega Highway Fun - Motorcycle Riding: Cruise HWY 74

Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I keep mentioning early Sunday at Newcombs on Hwy2. Before the riff-raff gets up start to block the road. They open at 0700 on weekends. Rock store doesn't do it for me or Neptunes Net or Cooks corner or Hells Kitchen. Too Hardley-esque.

Some of us did Anza this last weekend. Nice weather. Headed for the Cache rally in Idaho for the weekend of the 26th of June. If you have an idea for a meet and greet, I'll be up for it. Schedule permitting.
Oh, yeah.Retired guys can play during the week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anza is a nice ride had a ranch out there as a kid. I'm up for a meet and greet where's newcombs?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Newcombes was fun but Hwy 2 is the real star.

I rode it all the way out and back and it is stellar. Just enough hairy turns to keep the excitement going while you get tons of big sweepers and breathtaking vistas.

Highway 2 from San Fernando to Wrightwood is a 10 out of 10 in my book.

Newcombes is a 6 but I'll be back there on Sunday at around 7.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Yah sure you betcha, if I'm not at a rally like last Sunday. Watch out for sunrise in your eyes making the left hander at Red Box.:yikes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Notacop,

Did I see a post where you had some ABS laying around for a tool tube? If that's the case could you share a couple feet with me on Sunday?

THX

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Gimme a PM and I'm reply with a phone number. It not ABS but the lighter drainage tubing. Super inexpensive to make.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey - I just got a 2011 650 myself, and was also wondering where to ride. I'm lucky enough to live right near the base of Hwy 2 (where it turns to superslab).

Any locals going to be up at Newcombs this Sunday early? The Rock Inn (not Rock Store) is also a nice spot in the middle of a lot of nice riding.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Yo, local...So Cal...riders. There are a couple places to eat on the back side of the mountains along Lake Elizabeth road. The golf course restaurant is open again 0700 on Fri-Sat-Sun and lunch-ish the rest of the time.
Also the Creek Side Cafe in Leona valley on the same road and 90th W.
For when you are out and about and terrorizing the canyons.

Going up to Newcombs today and probably Sunday. It's like church of the open mountain for the devout.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Daren doesn't open the door until 0700. By 0800 you'll be fighting the Canyon racers getting up there.
Quioxtel, You might follow me home and saw off what ever length you need. You can see how I mounted mine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll look at what you got going on while we are up there but I'm going to be pressed for time leaving this weekend. I do the weekend dad thing for a couple more years and I have to get back to cook for the teenage beings.
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok I will try to make it. I'm catching a late show tonight but usually get up pretty early. I'll be the one on the black Wee - with the newly installed JCW top case.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
I left Newcombs about 0900, getting too crazy crowded with the racer boys in sport cars and bikes and the Cretins coming back from a camp out.
Colorful ensemble but too weird for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts