StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an adventure bike, narrowed it down to a few but the Wee is leading the pack. Have a 2012 with 10k on it for $5500 with crash bars/skid plate and windshield deflector or a new 2014 bone stock for $7500. Ideas?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'd want to know how the used one was maintained. In fact I'd want to know whatever I could about the previous owner, young, old, responsible and whatever else I could. You buy used you're buying the owner as well as the bike. 10k is nothing in terms of miles but you can really screw a bike up in that time if you work at it.
Also want to know if there was any crash damage.
On the whole I think new is always preferable because then I will know how it was broken in and what was done to it. To get that you pay some depreciation. You have to decide the wisdom of that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe S. The owner of the used 2012 I am told was a middle aged fellow that used the bike for transportation to work, something like 45 plus miles a day. Of course he rode it on the weekends too. I looked under it and under the fenders, I doubt is has seen much off road action, just clean all over. Is $5500 a fair price?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thanks Joe S. The owner of the used 2012 I am told was a middle aged fellow that used the bike for transportation to work, something like 45 plus miles a day. Of course he rode it on the weekends too. I looked under it and under the fenders, I doubt is has seen much off road action, just clean all over. Is $5500 a fair price?
Most of them haven't really seen much off road use. I would also look at the fork stops to see if there is any damage (might indicate a crash) as well as any of the usual contact points where a bike would hit ground if dropped.
If he used it as a daily commuter its good to have a look at its overall cosmetic condition as a lot of people don't have covered parking.
Naturally check out the chain and sprockets, they should have minimal wear.
I have no real idea of prices on used ones, they seem to vary a fair amount from region to region. From the sound of it the bike is at a dealership?
Note also that at 15k you have a significant service come up with a valve adjustment which is relatively expensive unless you are comfortable doing it yourself. Perhaps you can use that upcoming expense to your advantage.
You might shoot a pm to RC in NC. I think he's in your area and might have a better grasp of relative values there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have found a new leftover 2013 for $7200 and a new 2014 $7400 both OTD with all fees and taxes. I am leaning 2014 if it is still available.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Seems like there are a lot of leftover bikes in various places. I'd see if I could work them on some accessories or service. Those are good prices but nothing all that exceptional (at least in Oregon they wouldn't be and those bikes are pretty populare here). I also would lean to the '14 unless there is something advantagous about the '13.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Well I have found a new leftover 2013 for $7200 and a new 2014 $7400 both OTD with all fees and taxes. I am leaning 2014 if it is still available.
I suggest you at least take a look at Romney (West Virginia) prices. Last I saw they were running 2014 (?) Wees "out the door" for $7450. The numbers you cite might not (probably don't) include other fees, etc those dealers will probably add (might be $500 - $1000 added). As far as I'm concerned Romney sets the "out the door price" for us. It's usually the best pricing I see and that's where I'd go.

The $5500 for the 2012 w/ 10K miles isn't all that bad either. Will they move to $5000 ? Is this out-the-door pricing? Of course that all assumes the bike and papers are OK.

These really are great bikes, and a DL650 is plenty adequate - at least for a year or two until you get settled in - maybe forever (forever for lots of guys and gals).

Good luck regardless and welcome. Lots of North Carolina folks here. A very good thing.

Edit - Oops - sorry. Didn't notice the "OTD" in your post.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it is all academic now, the 2014 V strom is mine, $7400 to the house. It is 20'f but I rode it a little. Smoothl, not overwhelming on power. So far, so good!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Congratulations. Now you can ponder all the potential upgrades while the cold weather bites. They don't really need all that much, really a fairly cost effective unit in that respect.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well it is all academic now, the 2014 V strom is mine, $7400 to the house. It is 20'f but I rode it a little. Smoothl, not overwhelming on power. So far, so good!
Congrats and great price. I have a dealer in CT quoting me 8K OTD. This is 1500 off MSRP. I am surprised there is that much room on an $8500 bike.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Congrats and great price. I have a dealer in CT quoting me 8K OTD. This is 1500 off MSRP. I am surprised there is that much room on an $8500 bike.

Suzuki has offered a range of incentives to dealers over time. I think it comes down to a point where you can't just hold merchandise forever and you have to do something to move it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Congratulations. I think you'll like it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks to all for the help. My next step is to add engine guards, skid plate and some rear pannier racks....in that order.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Lots of choices on those things, plenty of reading on it on this site.
For what its worth I have SW Motech drop bars and a skid plate from Enduro Guardian (site vendor here Home Page). There are a lot of choices though and everyone has their reasons for what they picked. Just be sure you consider both parts together since the skid plates usually use the drop bars as one of the attachment points.
The other popular things you didn't mention would be doing something with the seat, heated grips and some type of hand guards. Some people claim to actually like the seat on the newer generation 650, all I can say is my '11 benefited from being rebuilt. Oh, and you may want to consider a quick way to shut the abs off on dirt roads, Eastern Beaver had a plug in gadget to do that on the earlier versions, I have it on mine and it works quite well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at the Givi 3101 Engine guards and the 3101 Skid plate. I assume since they are the same model group they will work together.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I would assume so. Read up on whatever you decide, some have various reasons for their preferences. In my case I like sw motech stuff based on past experience and the Enduro guardian skid plate was drilled for highway pegs, and I knew they worked together well. That was the combination of features I wanted and I imagine you can get it in other brands as well. Lots of good shopping ahead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Many thanks to all for the help. My next step is to add engine guards, skid plate and some rear pannier racks....in that order.
Wise man. I did the very same thing, in the very same order. I have all SW Motech on my 2011 wee. I've tested both crash bars and skid plate several times off road and have been very pleased with both. I don't run hard panniers but do use some soft bags from Aerostich Ortlieb. They are essentially dry bags in saddlebag form. They're nice because you can cram oddly shaped/sized things in them and they flex nicely to accommodate the item unlike hard bags. However, they don't offer the protection that hard panniers do.

Any way, just food for thought. Welcome to the Vstrom world. I think you'll find it to be a very enjoyable one! :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seems like there are a lot of leftover bikes in various places. I'd see if I could work them on some accessories or service. Those are good prices but nothing all that exceptional (at least in Oregon they wouldn't be and those bikes are pretty populare here). I also would lean to the '14 unless there is something advantagous about the '13.
So what would you consider good for a 2013 or 14 Wee leftover, in the Oregon area? I'm looking still not 100% on the 650 but it seems like a good fit for me, coming off a KLR650. Not much dirt in my travels.
Thanks
Congrats to Angie-Darrell on the new ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All I can say is the best 2013 leftover I found was $7200 otd and 2014 at $7400. I paid the extra 200 bones for the 14, seemed that it may pay off IF I do not like it and sell it. I rode it today, I do like it but I am running it 4500 rpms for a proper break in so,I I no idea what happens when it revs, I find out soon enough. One thing that surprised me is the fit. At 5'9 and with a 30 inseam I can all but flat foot it with my riding boots. It is very nimble and steers effortlessly. I normally ride cruisers and talk about night and day. Lastly on this discombobulated post, I can not stress how much I found the speedo cluster, it is very sharp and easy to read.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good buy

All I can say is the best 2013 leftover I found was $7200 otd and 2014 at $7400. I paid the extra 200 bones for the 14, seemed that it may pay off IF I do not like it and sell it. I rode it today, I do like it but I am running it 4500 rpms for a proper break in so,I I no idea what happens when it revs, I find out soon enough. One thing that surprised me is the fit. At 5'9 and with a 30 inseam I can all but flat foot it with my riding boots. It is very nimble and steers effortlessly. I normally ride cruisers and talk about night and day. Lastly on this discombobulated post, I can not stress how much I found the speedo cluster, it is very sharp and easy to read.
Good price & good luck with her. Oneida Suzuki for cheapo OEM bars, Happy trails for center stand & skid plate, Twisted throttle for an XCreen windscreen extension. Amazon had good prices on Givi mounting plate & rear helmet bucket. Revzilla has good prices too. There's lots of sites with tons of farkles for your baby.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts