StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gtreetings Strommers! I've been lurking for a while and really like what's going on here. Just getting back into riding as my last bike was a Honda 305 Scrambler back in 73. I'm now 56. Currently looking for a Wee in the low price range as my income a very limited. I can however, fix anything. Currently working as an engineer on tall ships, and plan on extended road trips on shore time. Look forward to getting to know you all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I was only off two wheels for 16 years and got wounded coming back. Read a lot, take a course, practice. Welcome to the home of grey animals.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum GreyRaven hope you find a good deal on your ride. Your skills should be back up to snuff in no time with that year round riding weather. :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Only 56...I'm trying to remember when I was 56.

Engineer on tall ships? Sailing vessels' engines? I was an engineer for 32 years...chief, steam & diesel, unlimited hp. Most time on container ships, a few tankers & passenger ships, one bulker, and breakbulk way back when.

Anyway, welcome aboard. You'll find the stroms to be one of the lowest cost, most reliable, and fun bikes to ride. I'd be leery of any over 100,000 miles, although there is at least one with 200k. I think ABS is worth having. Budget something for suspension upgrades, more effective windscreen, and more comfy seat.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Can you be called 'Old Guy' if you haven't gotten the Golden age pass from the park service? I just signed up for Medicare. nothing left but ride until I die!
Hola, young punk!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts

Any age is a good age to get back into riding; I also did it at 56

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome GreyRaven

Gtreetings Strommers! I've been lurking for a while and really like what's going on here. Just getting back into riding as my last bike was a Honda 305 Scrambler back in 73. I'm now 56. Currently looking for a Wee in the low price range as my income a very limited. I can however, fix anything. Currently working as an engineer on tall ships, and plan on extended road trips on shore time. Look forward to getting to know you all.
Welcome to you from another noob here!. I couldn't help but notice the similarities: I recently joined this forum because I'm interested in getting a vStrom. I am 55 and my last bike, until I bought a used KLR three years ago was also a Honda 305 Scrambler. I sold it in 74 when I went off to college. So welcome again to a great site!

Gary

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Welcome youngster <grin>. i too returned to riding about 15 years ago after a 20 year absence. I would suggest that you take a MSF Basic Riders Course? I took one to help my insurance rates and was surprised at how much I had learned wrong back in the late 60's and early 70's when the only way we had of learning was talking with other riders. Much of that info was really wrong.

I have a friend who doesn't make much money and couldn't afford to just go out and buy a bike. He bought his first bike in a bucket (payed $100 for it) and learned about motorcycle mech as he was building that bike. Took him almost a year but it came out beautiful. He is also a good motorcycle mech too now. You have a leg up on him by being an engineer already so building a bike from a bucket would be a piece of cake for you.

Oh, and welcome to Stromtrooper.com. You will find a bunch of nice guys her and a few soreheads as any group should have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the welcome

Just finished my riding course! Great time and learned tons. Will have enough cash in May when I return back from my next ocean gig. Then will shop in ernest. Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts