StromTrooper banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always done this with my cars and my previous motorcycles, and I'm pretty sure the manuals for those vehicles specified a combination oil/filter change in their maintenance schedules. However, I just noticed that the schedule in the 2012 DL650 manual says to (R)eplace the engine oil at 600, 4000, 7500 and 11,000 miles... But the engine oil filter at 600 and 11,000 miles.

Really? One filter lasts over 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I change mine once a year. 5-10k miles. No biggie. Save on oil filter costs right?

New motors are plumbed pretty well so dirty oil is usually not an issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've always done this with my cars and my previous motorcycles, and I'm pretty sure the manuals for those vehicles specified a combination oil/filter change in their maintenance schedules. However, I just noticed that the schedule in the 2012 DL650 manual says to (R)eplace the engine oil at 600, 4000, 7500 and 11,000 miles... But the engine oil filter at 600 and 11,000 miles.

Really? One filter lasts over 10,000 miles?
Wow! I read this in disbelief and then grabbed my manual and that's what it says. There's no way I'm changing my oil and not the filter. I plan to have this thing a long time... $10 more each oil change is a drop in the bucket. I've done my own maintenance for years and haven't had a bike "in the shop" since 2006, but that's a corner I'd never cut.

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
Wow! I read this in disbelief and then grabbed my manual and that's what it says. There's no way I'm changing my oil and not the filter. I plan to have this thing a long time... $10 more each oil change is a drop in the bucket. I've done my own maintenance for years and haven't had a bike "in the shop" since 2006, but that's a corner I'd never cut.
How long are you going to have it? I did it every other oil change on my 2006 DL650. It is still running at almost 126,000 miles.

..Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Me either. I'm not sure what my manual says, but at least I have peace of mind. I do recall that my KLR 650 manual said to do chain maintenance every 7,000 miles. WTF? I did mine every 500 - 1,500 miles. I don't always follow the manuals.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Oil change every 5,000 miles. Filter every 10,000 miles. Using quality full synthetic oil and OEM filters. I cut two filters open, looked very good. So, I use the manuals advice, or almost anyway, with filters every other oil change.

Nothing wrong with every change if it makes you happy.

70,000 non oil burning miles to date.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I run the oil and filter 10,000 miles in my car & pickup. The lab analysis reports I get every 30k on the used oil always say that the oil is still good for continued service and sign of the filter failing. I just sold a turbo Volvo with 202,000 miles that still ran great and you could see some of the original factory machining marks on the cams. (I'm using a premium synthetic blend* in the truck and a premium synthetic** in the car & strom.)

The Suzuki oil filter isn't much smaller than the filter on my much-larger Toyota V-8. Sure, there is some old oil remaining in the filter if it is left in service, but there is no way to completely drain the old oil from the engine anyway. Change the filter any time you like up to 10k...the engine will keep running great. I'm doing 5k oil changes and 10k filter changes.

* http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/701,703,704 TD.pdf

** http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/9000.pdf
Recommended for VW 502.00 use, and not JASO-MA certified but works great in the bike.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
... I would think that slightly used or "dirty" oil filters will actually filter better than new ones... Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
... I would think that slightly used or "dirty" oil filters will actually filter better than new ones... Just a thought...
and a very good thought. Same with air filters, they get better with age up to a point. Except KN, which suck from day 1.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Eureka...an oil and filter thread!

Seriously I change my oil every 2k miles. I use dino vs. synthetic. My personal reasoning is that the oil not only lubricates the engine but bathes the clutch assy.

So 3 qts of dino and 5 minutes time is cheap. I do my filters every 3rd change. I cut them up to inspect them and have seen no concerns.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've seen too many oil filters and air filters with dirt on the clean side where it has worked its way through. I don't buy the "works better when dirty" meme. Change them on the schedule the design engineers gave us.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Stay on topic. Any more oil information and I will close this thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How long are you going to have it? I did it every other oil change on my 2006 DL650. It is still running at almost 126,000 miles.

..Tom
Good for you! I know people who chain smoked their whole lives since 12-13 and never got cancer and lived into their 80's. Doesn't mean I'm going to try it!

I'm sure there are plenty of people who cut that corner and get by just fine (I just don't know any). Not something I'm going to do.

·
Administrator
14,224 Posts
Good for you! I know people who chain smoked their whole lives since 12-13 and never got cancer and lived into their 80's. Doesn't mean I'm going to try it!

I'm sure there are plenty of people who cut that corner and get by just fine (I just don't know any). Not something I'm going to do.

Can you please explain what corner is being cut?

..Tom

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I change oil every 3K miles and the filter every 3rd time (9K miles). If Zuk says its good for 10-11K whatever I believe them.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Almost 240,000 trouble free KM's, change oil every 6,000km and filter every 2nd time.....just say'n. I do loosen the filter to let the oil drain out of it. Go by the manual, you can't go wrong.

Cheers!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oil Filter

Just my 2 cents. The oil in these engines also lubes the transmission and clutch. So,, it's oil and filter for me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
We all follow the 600 mile service check, or at least we should. Then you can run the filter for a couple of oil changes without worry according to the company who designed, engineered the bike. I only go about 5-6000 miles on my Suzuki filter, if I was using a aftermarket filter I would do it every 3000. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
926 Posts
Only replacing the filter every other oil change has been standard on every bike I've owned. I've never had ANY engine problems with ANY engine, and I am a pretty negligent owner (last bike did the first 40,000km with only a single service).

I believe bike motors are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.