StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was looking at buying my DL1000 I came across a replacement oil cap which was machined aluminum with a recessed hex key for turning the thing. The sales pitch was to make it a little harder for someone to "put" something into the engine oil.

Can someone point me to this? Can't seem to find it now on the web.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
It's a Touratech item. Check their web site and catalogue.
It uses a 7mm hex key which is a non standard size so if you loose the key supplied you could have difficulty getting a new key.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Touratech item. Check their web site and catalogue.
It uses a 7mm hex key which is a non standard size so if you loose the key supplied you could have difficulty getting a new key.
Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i bought it and you can get 7mm hex keys set up to use in a rachet. most auto parts stores have 7mm in a 3/8 socket. buy a 1/4 to 3/8 converter and use a 1/4 rachet when installing the plug. a 3/8 rachet will make it too tight and possibly strip the threads

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Really

I am just wondering, over the last 40+ years I have been riding throughout the US and Canada, has anyone had someone put something in their oil hole in their bike???:confused:

I have ridden with a wide variety of riders, and none have ever related a story that someone has put something in their oil or crankcase.

Outside of aesthetics you are actually causing some problems with getting into your oil hole. A story in fact: a friend of mine had replaced his oil filler cap with a fancy one with a special key to open it. Well, preparing for an up coming ride Jim dropped his little special key down the oil fill hole and into the engine. He didn't make the trip and he had to have his BMW RT taken to the dealer and have the engine split to get the little special tool out. They found it next the the cam chain.

Well enough said.

Bright Side :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Non-Farkle - Just an Oil Filler Cap

My oil filler cap ('04 Wee) went missing a week ago. Dealer special-ordered the part (11971-25D00), which arrived, and does not fit (wtf?). The part is bigger than the hole.

Go ahead, tell me I am lame beyond belief. But after that, could anyone check the diameter of a DL650 oil filler cap at the threads? The filler plug that doesn't fit seems to have diameter of ~20mm (including threads), or of ~18mm (without the threads). Are those the dimensions of a filler plug that actually fits?

Edit 10-20-08: Okay, LBB it is. I knew all along that the story above made no sense, but it came to seem even less credible when I wrote it down and posted it. What really happened is that this fine dealer, when servicing my bike, left out the inspection plug (not oil filler plug). Left side of bike, not right side. Now I have to wonder, "how much damage did that failure do to my Wee as I rode it around for a couple of days before noticing the fumes?" I never will know, will I?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts