StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I replaced my chain and sprockets with SV Racingpart's 525 chain/sprocket kit. It took a bit because I'd not done this before and also didn't realize that 120 links is too long (2008 dl650). Anyways, I got everything put together and took it for a test ride. Discovered that I had messed up and didn't get the rear brake bracket in the slot like it was supposed to be. So I put that back and went out again. I know that the new chain and sprockets are much quieter than the original worn stuff, but now I hear a whine that I didn't hear before. It is not gear related as I can hear it when I get up to about 30mph and pull in the clutch. It is apparent at slow and medium speeds - I haven't taken it up to 60mph yet. The bike feels perfectly fine, but I'm suspecting the rear brake. We all know that the rear brakes on the vstrom's are not that great, but I seem to have less stopping power with it than I used to. I replaced the pads front and back at the beginning of spring. When the bike is on the center stand and I spin the wheel by hand, I can hear a repeatable noise other than the chain whirring around.

I'm at a bit of a loss and a bit paranoid, not wanting to make a small problem bigger. I've searched through the forum threads as best I can and have checked a few things like alignment, chain guard, etc. I still have just the grease that it came packed on it - haven't put any normal chain lube on it.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what it could be and how I might narrow down what the problem is? Or even if there's a problem at all?

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It appears you are hearing the difference between the rubber damped OEM front sprocket and the plain steel after market one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pat, I wish that was the case. The front sprocket I removed was not the original one. It was a JT sprocket (JTF520-15) - it had no rubber part on it. The replacement was a 15 tooth Pit Bull that came in the SV Racingparts package.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Chances are then, you a hearing a noise that was there before but covered up by the noise of the worn chain and sprockets. 90% of the time, earplugs are the best cures for noise problems. The trick is to make sure new noises are not due to something that is a real problem.

Use some brake cleaner on the rear pads and rotors, allow it to dry and go for a ride. Only use the rear brake at the beginning of the ride to get an idea of how it is working. When you get back, see if the rear rotor is hot. If it is after miles of not using the rear brake, it is dragging and the sliders need to be removed, cleaned and lubricated with silicone brake grease.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a good idea, Pat. Thanks. I'll give that a try. If nothing else, it will eliminate the rear brake as being the problem. Either it's cool and not rubbing, or it is rubbing and I can work through that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Greywolf,

I also ordered chain & sprockets from Blair (haven't installed yet). I'm going to try a 16T in front and expressed by concern to Blair about using one without the rubber damper. I got a non-oem (Pitbull) as Blair assured me I wouldn't hear more noise. I hope he's right 'cause I've been using Motul chain lube (instead of the Dupont stuff) as I'm willing to put up with the mess for a quieter drive chain!

Anyway, I'm fully prepared to go back to OEM on the front sprocket if the Pitbull doesn't work out as it will drive me crazy if things end up noiser after the chain/sprocket replacement.

I'll report back after I get things swapped out.

--jason

It appears you are hearing the difference between the rubber damped OEM front sprocket and the plain steel after market one.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You might want to double-check the rear wheel alignment, just to be sure. It could be just a little off, causing the brake disc to rub, or some lateral movement of the chain relative to the sprocket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sure sign of bad wheel alignment is a difference in the amount of goo on either side of the back sprocket. (Probably depends on the kind of chain lube you use to notice...) I immediately started using a wet lube right after buying my '08 DL650 (used) and shortly after, noticed that the back side of the sprocket teeth were shiny and the front side were sticky from the lube I was using.

Turns out the back axle nut was waaaayyy loose and the wheel alignment was off. Glad I caught that before something bad happened!

--jason

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
noisy tires!

I figured out what the problem is - my tires. My friend (Buckarooranch) has the same tires (Michelin Anakee 2) and at low speeds they whine. The reduction in noise from the sprocket and chain has allowed me to notice the tire noise. From 45mph and up you can't hear it. I did check the rear brake like Greywolf suggested - nice and cold, so nothing was rubbing there.

So I'm back in business! Thanks for all the responses - I learn something from you guys all the time.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Whine

You beat me to it! I was going to ask if you happened to run Anakee 2 as mine whine just as you say. It had me checking over all my work. ( I do all my own work except strip down which you never need to do on a Strom)

When I suspected it was tyres I swayed the bike heavily left and right and you can hear the sound rise and fall. My tyres have about 4000kms and are still whining.

WARDY

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sometimes it is nice to be old and hard of hearing... :yesnod:

·
Registered
858 Posts
get an old air cooled UJM and ride that around for a bit, you'll never even notice the noises the wee makes afterwards! :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I rode a bit yesterday and I'm already starting to filter it out. Once my mind knows it's normal, it sort of fades into the background.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm going to try a 16T in front and expressed by concern to Blair about using one without the rubber damper. I got a non-oem (Pitbull) as Blair assured me I wouldn't hear more noise. I hope he's right 'cause I've been using Motul chain lube (instead of the Dupont stuff) as I'm willing to put up with the mess for a quieter drive chain!
I changed out the OEM 15T for one of Blair's 16T sprockets, and heard no difference in noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
261 Posts
quiet

I find it neat that we can hear the whine of tires on the v-strom, these bikes are quiet. Most of the cruisers I pass by are very loud, you couldn't hear a tire or other small noises with the loud exhaust sounds emanating from them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I swapped out the stock 15t for a 14t and I can't hear any difference in sound. I usually wear earplugs or the noise isolating earbuds. Half for my hearing, and half because the wee's engine is noisy and sometimes can make me paranoid that something's wrong. :green_lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just swapped chain, sprockets, bearings, tires....and was like ...OMG, what is that "whining" noise

After a few miles of panic and testing....its the damn tires for sure!

Went from TKC80 to some Maxxis Presa Detours. They feel GREAT, but are noisy. The TKCs plus the old chain made enough noise to cancel eachother out I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts