StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK

I'm thinking about replacing my '03 Vee for a '12 Wee.

A couple of questions relative to interchangeability of some of the parts:
Will the rear Vee shock fit the new Wee?
Will the old seat (my Corbin) fit the new Wee?
Tank ring?

I know that a bunch of the other crap won't cross over, things like:
racks
crash bars
front springs

any helpful input will be appreciated...

·
Registered
180 Posts
The seat is known not to fit.
The tank ring is the same as before, so should fit.

I can't speak to the shock at all.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing my '03 Vee for a '12 Wee.
Will the rear Vee shock fit the new Wee?
You're thinking of pulling the shocks from an 8+ year old bike to put on a new one?

Also the 2012 model has a retuned suspension with a different preload adjustment system. So I would think not (but can't say for sure).

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I imagine it will fit. The question is, why do you want it to?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe he has a Sasquatch Rebuild on his.

Ding, ding, ding!

...and it is resprung quite well for a fellow 'my size'...

The rebuild is not so old, and this shock is rebuildable now...

·
38,104 Posts
In fact, the Vee shock is a bit longer than the Wee shock, making it a better fit for the Glee for length since it has a longer travel shock this year. But the Vee is significantly heavier than the Glee so the spring may be a bit much.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Yes, the shock will fit.

I swapped my 5.5 year old Wilbers in - so I'm sure on that. Didn't notice any change in ride height. It was worth doing for dirt roads, if I just rode seal doubt I'd have bothered.

That said - the shock on the new Wee is a LOT better than it used to be so put a few k's on to be sure it's worth doing - I suspect it may in fact be the old DL 1000 shock which would exactly match the claimed change in length.

Centre stand yes. You'll need to make a new stop, a stainless exhaust clamp should do that nicely. (There's another thread on this somewhere).

Seat no - but the stock seat is actually long distance comfortable . Luggage racks probably not, top box mounts, probably yes. (MY Beestem top box went on fine)

Pete

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
my bad was that already established?
The Givi's yes, but it's worth knowing for sure what does and doesn't. The mounts may be in the same place, but you could still get caught out by something subtle.

I was prepared to just buy anything new that didn't work - few problems. The seat was the first thing I checked, simply because if the new seat fitted on the old bike I could see it being a popular buy ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Centerstand?

Will the centerstand from the earlier models fit the 2012?

Thanks a bunch!!

·
38,104 Posts
Will the centerstand from the earlier models fit the 2012?

Thanks a bunch!!
It won't have a stop. You'd have to make one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tank ring may be different

While an earlier post stated the tank rings are the same, that may not be the case. Not sure about the Vee, but my old generation Wee has a 7 screw ring with a flat outer extension where the hinge is, while photos of the 2012 show the same pattern as my wife's Gladius, with 5 screws and perfectly round outer edge.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Thanks, Pat!! Appreciate it. :yesnod:

·
38,104 Posts
While an earlier post stated the tank rings are the same, that may not be the case. Not sure about the Vee, but my old generation Wee has a 7 screw ring with a flat outer extension where the hinge is, while photos of the 2012 show the same pattern as my wife's Gladius, with 5 screws and perfectly round outer edge.
Indeed. Vee and Wee have seven and Glee has five.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts