StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
has anyone rode this dirt rd. NM 603 runs along the continental divide, nw of pie town for about 30 miles. any info would be great want to try it thursday...IF its not snowing. mahalo for your help

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Can not help you with the 603, other than to say it looked like a pretty good road when I drove by in October. I elected to get some pie (it was a good choice), and then continue on east.

Good luck with your trip and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I rode through there several years ago on my DR650 headed for Baja. I don't recall it having any special challenges, a few small pockets of sand and dust, but a nice ride.

I think this is it (but I'm not positive.

New Mexico dirt roads can be totally impassable with the addition of just a little bit of water, so -recent snow or rain- go the long way around to avoid it. Nasty stuff.

Also, 117 south from Grants connects up to it and is a small paved road that shouldn't be missed. The road goes past the Malpais lava flows, and for a few miles it threads right between the lava beds and the sandstone cliffs. I rode back and forth in there a couple of times- very cool experience.

...........shu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts