StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son and I are planning to camp in northern New Mexico in late September, somewhere around Los Alamos or Espanola.
We would appreciate any recommendations y'all may have for roads we should not miss on our V-Stroms.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Lots of great roads in NM, probably my 2 favorites are hwy 4 between Los Alamos and San Ysidro, and the "Enchanted Circle" loop, Taos/Angel Fire/Eagles Nest/Red River/Questa/Taos.
Also love the high road between Santa Fe and Taos.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good tips Rich. Thanks. The Enchanted Circle looks very interesting. I hope it won't be full of RVs. You mention the high road to Taos. What highway is that?

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Good tips Rich. Thanks. The Enchanted Circle looks very interesting. I hope it won't be full of RVs. You mention the high road to Taos. What highway is that?
RVs usually aren't too bad, but summertime traffic in Taos can be a headache.

As for the high road, easier to explain the whole thing. :)
The "low road" is US84/285 from Santa Fe to Espanola, and then NM68 from Espanola to Taos. 68 follows the Rio Grande, and is a nice ride in it's own right. For the "high road" if you're coming from Santa Fe you would turn onto NM503 just north of Pojoaque, before you get to Espanola. 503 intersects 76 near Chimayo, take 76 up through Truchas and Las Trampas to 75, near Penasco and then 518 which insects 68 at Ranchos de Taos, just south of Taos proper.
If it works better with where you end up staying, you can cut out the 503 part and just pick up 76 in Espanola.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We'll be in the area about 4-5 days so should have time to ride all the routes mentioned. I have them copied. Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
It wasn't clear to me if you were exclusively touring only the northern part of New Mexico or not. If you are only going to be up north you can stop reading my post now.

Another popular ride if you like twisties is the Sandia Crest road, that is down towards Albuquerque though. If you were going to ride that, and you both are comfortable on some dirt, I'd recommend taking the route through Placitas up to the Crest (incredible view once there too) and then take the paved twisties back down the mountain.

Certainly the other rides mentioned already are obviously closer to your stated location, and also I'd say more beautiful as well. But if you are looking for more to do and you don't mind coming south some more it is certainly a great ride!

If you are interested in more details let me know. Like I said I might just be wasting your time and mine by writing this if you won't be coming that far south. Oh well! :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 on the enchanted circle ride. I just got back from a 1700 mile ride. Stayed in Eagle Nest, Angel Fire and Taos. It's beautiful, but the wind was crazy bad on "open" roads. Mountains climbs were not as bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Maybe a little farther North than you are looking but one of the best roads I've encountered. NM456 in the far NE corner. I stumbled on this gem in 09 coming across from Oklahoma. Be warned it is all dirt and you could be there a day or 2 with a break down. The Capulin Volcano National Mounment is a great experience too. And if you've the time just across the OK border is the highest place in OK, maybe an hour or so hike.

gene

1 - 11 of 11 Posts