StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just saying hello and following all the threads. I have been only licensed one year and currently driving a '07 suzuki gs500. I found it a great starter bike but am quickly finding myself wanting a newer, larger bike. I was looking at yamaha's but am quickly being convinced v-stroms are a much better all around bike. I am waiting patiently for the bike show coming here in january.
After reading a lot of threads I am becoming more interested in a v-strom 650. After going to demo days this year and trying out a victory vegas, I know I prefer a sport bike. I would like to try road trips as well. Any new licensed women out there who want to share their 2 cents worth on upgrading to a 650? Any info helps especially curious on what it's like travelling on highways. Meaning no large windshields and huge fairings......thanks all. I seem to hear mixed opinions...

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hi Sue...welcome to Stromtroopers! I think you would find the DL650 VStrom would fit your needs very well. (But I guess my opinion would be a bit biased!)

Looking at your present bike, I think you would make the transition to a VStrom no problem. It is a similiar seating position and only a little taller and heavier than your GS500. What is your inseam? Can you flat foot the GS500? The VStrom can be lowered quite easily with lowering links if needed.

I'm not exactly a newly licensed woman...I've been riding for 25 years. I bought the VStrom after riding a Harley Softail for over 20 years. The Wee is a great bike for touring highways, two lane roads and gravel roads. From Ontario, I've been on road trips to Ohio, West Virginia, Missouri, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and Maine.

I, like most others, have changed from the stock seat to a more comfortable one and added a fork brace. I've also lowered my bike. Other mods can be made for your own individual needs and if you read around the site, you'll find out what the most common ones are. The MOST common other mod is to change the windshield either to a slightly larger one or to add a Madstad bracket that tilts the existing one to an angle that eliminates "buffeting". I've ridden my Wee for 4 seasons and have just acquired the Madstad to install soon.

For comparisons sake, I'll tell you that I am 5'5" with a 30" inseam and 120lbs.

Good luck with your search for a new bike!

Anne-Marie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts