StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Been looking at Vstroms for 2 years off and on. Been riding 38 years and over 32 countries.
Retired military.
Found one somewhat local.
2012, 14,446 miles, many accessories, but needs tires, $5000
Owner sent picture of rear tire and the tire wear is down to threads, which is not a concern. However, the wear is off centered to the left.
Is this normal for a Vstrom 650?
TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello! Been looking at Vstroms for 2 years off and on. Been riding 38 years and over 32 countries.
Retired military.
Found one somewhat local.
2012, 14,446 miles, many accessories, but needs tires, $5000
Owner sent picture of rear tire and the tire wear is down to threads, which is not a concern. However, the wear is off centered to the left.
Is this normal for a Vstrom 650?
TIA

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome Das Wind, egads, agreed on the alignment and or he's hot rodding on a track with no saftey in mind. Burn-outs come to mind as well.....
I'd certainly give that scoot the once over before commiting to the purchase for sure.

Reactions: Gert and Das Wind

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Das Wind, egads, agreed on the alignment and or he's hot rodding on a track with no saftey in mind. Burn-outs come to mind as well.....
I'd certainly give that scoot the once over before commiting to the purchase for sure.
Oh, I'll go over it with a magnifying glass. I maintain and can take this apart and put it back together. So, probably not going to miss something.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Another thought that could be a possible cause of the rear tire wear, is either a weak / badly set rear shock or a too heavy load carried on the rear to rub on the underside of the rear fender. Fender rub is often due to lowering links without sorting out the suspension. A typical example of fender rub can be seen in the pix in reply #26 of Lowering a DL650.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where do you hail from? No matter what bike you end up with if you are close to me, I have a tire machine, lift/table and tools and not afraid to use them. I also work cheap. A F/R tire change costs you a case of beer and I'll properly dispose of your old tires.
Thanks for the offer! Will remember that for if I'm ever on the road up that way and need some rubbers.
Sand Mtn Alabama

·
Registered
30 Posts
Run don’t walk. This is a bike that’s been abused. If the tire is in that bad of shape there’s probably a whole list of other issues.

You are buying the previous owners history along with the bike. If there’s a lot of deferred maintenance you’ll be out double the purchase price. Lots of good VStroms out there. Don’t settle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts