StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
As I am getting older, I feel it's time to limit my time on sport bikes and focus more on touring & daytrips. I just sold one of the 3 sportbikes I currently own and thinking about selling another one (apparently keeping one for the short stints) . Looking to replace it with a budget all rounder. My background is mostly sport-riding (some street, a lot of track/racing). The DL650 was tested and is now out of the question, need a bit more oomph. This is where the DL1000 2002-2010 comes in, as I am on a tight budget.

Given that:
1- I do tend to push my bikes from time to time, mostly in the twisties, not a highway fan. Nothing psychotic, just good cornering speeds where it's possible without becoming a public danger.
2- I have no experience with Vstroms, Varaderos etc, apart from 5 min test rides which don't tend to reveal the cornering weaknesses of the bike. Most of my experience with this type of bikes revolves around the likes of 1290SA/GT, Multristrada, GS1250/1200 etc. (which are very nice but out of budget).
3- the tours I take with friends (bikes mentioned above) are usually at a brisk pace. As I said, not into breaking the sound barrier, just enjoying twisty back roads.

Hence, I have zero concerns about the power for any bike with 100+hp; my concerns are mostly handling-related. I did some test rides and reading on the model issues et al. If I actually get one, I intend to change springs (front & rear). Maybe, if I am not happy, I will also test a fork brace for more rigidity in the corner entry or quick changes in direction. Dirt riding will be kept at a minimum, maybe an occasional flat dirt road. So off-road ability is not an issue.

Questions:
1) I know the DL1000 isn't a sport bike and that their cornering abilities will not be on par with superbikes or KTMs with inverted forks, brembos etc. I really do. I'd like your opinions if the intended mods are expected to result in a decent handling bike. A bike sticking to the line and not wallowing with the first sign of a quick entry is a must for me (until I age a bit more I suppose). Or maybe someone with a similar riding style/background here would like to share their experiences with the DL1000. I am willing to compromise quite a bit, but not willing to shoot myself on the foot! The dl1000s aren't really sellable where I live, so a purchase will be a commitment. I don't know if I should get one or wait a year or so to increase my budget and get something newer. But who can wait for a year???? :)
2) Any reasons to give up on a 2002 bargain with low mileage for a more expensive '07?

P.S. Please forgive me if I sound like I take myself too seriously, I don't :) Just trying to provide as much information as possible, so I can get the most out of your time and replies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. The K2 - K3 Vee (2002 - 2003 DL1000) has minor differences to the K4 - L1 models. To read mode on the changes over the years, have a look at Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Wikipedia. For info on the K2 Vee, have a look at Just Bought a DL1000 and Am I forgetting something? New Owner.
I would say that if the suspension is setup correctly to the type of riding that you intend doing, the handling in corners will be improved. As far as a summary of known 1st gen Vee complaints / check list, have a look at Just Bought a DL1000.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I moved from a 2001 ZRX1200 (super standard) last year to a 2012 V Strom. I then began modding the V Strom for quicker handling. The handling was too slow in stock form.
  • I pulled the forks up in the triple trees 1 inch.
  • I then maxed out the rear preload which raised the rear.
After those mods, the Big V handled much better!!!
NOTE: I had performed the same mods to the ZRX. I ride ONLY on the street.

YEMV

Reactions: GC0nn

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I lowered mine 3/4 inch in the rear, raised the forks 15mm in the trees and replaced the stock fork springs with Sonic springs to get the bike into what I considered acceptable handling. My rear shock preload is higher than the middle setting. I tried it once at full setting and it made the ride too stiff for me (185lbs) - and I never ride 2-up. For tires I run Conti Trail Attack 2 tires - next time around I will pick a sportier compound. They have a street type tread , but are relatively hard and take a while to warm up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The DL650 was tested and is now out of the question, need a bit more oomph. This is where the DL1000 2002-2010 comes in, as I am on a tight budget.
...good cornering speeds where it's possible without becoming a public danger
...1290SA/GT, Multristrada, GS1250/1200 etc. are very nice but out of budget).
...not into breaking the sound barrier, just enjoying twisty back roads.

1) I know the DL1000 isn't a sport bike and that their cornering abilities will not be on par with superbikes or KTMs with inverted forks, brembos etc. I really do. I'd like your opinions if the intended mods are expected to result in a decent handling bike.
2) Any reasons to give up on a 2002 bargain with low mileage for a more expensive '07?
I keep my 08 shod with 80/20 tires to reflect my riding style, so I'm not in the +100mph category. Even though the DL1000 is not a sport bike, I enjoy the twisties. It's no dirt bike, either, but it does fine off pavement. I put new springs in the front forks, and that made a world of difference in handling. I do have a fork brace up front, but personally don't feel it like others testify they do. I just completed replacement of the steering head bearings from OEM balls to tapered rollers, and that has changed the feel of handling things too. I had Werks Parts rebuild my clutch basket -- and that made a significant handling improvement. As for your question about an 02 v 07, since it is easy for me to spend other peoples' money, if it were me choosing between those two I'd go for the 07. But as you indicated, resale is nil so it will be a long term investment. Buy what makes you smile the most.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If sporty backroads riding is your goal, I wouldn't count the 650 out just on a 5 minute test ride. It doesn't compare to a liter bike for power, but it corners great and has enough usable power unless you're going head to head with someone on a KTM. A lot of people who have ridden both gen 1 bikes prefer the 650 engine character to the 1000 for everything but 2-up interstate - you just have to stay higher up in the rev range and really use it to its full potential on backroads. It turns in very predictably and it takes a lot to upset.

Where are you located? Maybe someone will let you take theirs for a spin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
GCOnn, Your riding tastes seem to mirror mine to some degree so I'll offer my experience. I have a 2012 Vee and I am mostly happy with the performance . I only ride street as do you. 1. Good street tires are a must. Get a grip and you are going better already. I run a sport touring designation but you can buy more grip than that.The DL has a ton of flywheel and I have not found a remedy to this. I also have a SV100s - same engine but it spools up quicker. I set my unladen sag at the rear to 1/2 ~3/4". and run a lighter rebound setting to keep the rear action quick to return. Change handlebars to something less buck-o. I used a yamaha quad I found at the cycle shack as a beta test and cut an inch off each end. All day comfy too. Choose a seat that keeps your core forward to weight the front end. I have not changed either shock nor front springs and at my level I'm not finding fault. For ME the trade-off is going fast enough over country roads when a sport bike with 4 1/2 inches of travel just jammed your spine for the day. You and I know that money talks better suspension. Note that the DL is a tall bike and so the distance covered / degrees of roll are greater and this is true with any ADV. The KTM 1190/1290 is a great handling machine but boy howdy it is a perch to sit on and I have heard it said there is something lurking in the geometry at +100mph. So again a trade off. Finally, the weight. Ya cannnot fool Father Physics. DL Suzukis are no worse in this regard but mind your limits. I've got 25K on my 1000, and 42K on a Wee. I hope I have offered some value toward your decision. PM me if you wish. Cheers TM

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
As long as you go in with the mentality the DL is a DL and not a high spec euro you'll be fine. So many buy the DL because the low initial cost them throw a ton of money at it trying to make it something it can't be.

No matter how much you polish a turd, its still a turd. For the record I'm not saying the DL is a turd.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Okay Perazzi, I'll take that turd and raise you a hundred! And by way of edit I'll add that I actually like the Vstrom line enough that I am seriously thinking of buying a third. (A 1050) GC0nn asked in a nutshell "does it handle"? In my opinion I can't find serious fault or flaw in the way it turns in or holds a line. It is relaxed in how it go's about its business but have never had an instance that said the chassis is fundamentally unstable. I recently sold a Gladius (wife's bike) that I would NOT give a blanket approval to. I could find it's limits and it would go squirrely. Fun bike but not a keeper. (though I loved the motor) Cheers

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Okay Perazzi, I'll take that turd and raise you a hundred! And by way of edit I'll add that I actually like the Vstrom line enough that I am seriously thinking of buying a third. (A 1050) GC0nn asked in a nutshell "does it handle"? In my opinion I can't find serious fault or flaw in the way it turns in or holds a line. It is relaxed in how it go's about its business but have never had an instance that said the chassis is fundamentally unstable. I recently sold a Gladius (wife's bike) that I would NOT give a blanket approval to. I could find it's limits and it would go squirrely. Fun bike but not a keeper. (though I loved the motor) Cheers
The 1050 are a nice bike but the OP is talking about 2002 - 2010 DL1000's.

From my expierence I can only say my DL was a much harder bike to rode in comparison to what I replaced it with. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Kind of a silly to try to draw comparisons between a sport bike and a Strom me thinks.

Does a Strom "handle" well, uh sure for what is. Long wheel base relaxed geometry 19" front it's fine. Compare it to similar not sport bikes. Can you ride it aggressively, uh sure that's on the rider.

Reactions: Hatchi

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Kind of a silly to try to draw comparisons between a sport bike and a Strom me thinks.

Does a Strom "handle" well, uh sure for what is. Long wheel base relaxed geometry 19" front it's fine. Compare it to similar not sport bikes. Can you ride it aggressively, uh sure that's on the rider.
Thread drift a bit. One of my current adventure bikes has 19/17 wheels. Just sourced a 17" front wheel so I can motard this bish.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts

Strom 1000 is sort of a sport touring my FZ1 is a sport touring - pretty valid comparisons to be made.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Street Bikes so far
Bandit 1200
Fz1
Vstrom 1000
Fjr1300
DL650 2015 (Current)

Track
Carb Sv650
750ss Ducati (Current)

I like the DL650. I picked it up a few months back used . i hated the front end so i added some sv650 1.0 Racetech springs which i had around my garage from my sv650 track days.
the rear is okay but plan to upgrade but i do not feel necessary. i just put some dunlop trail smart which are very street oriented and i have a lot of fun of this setup. I am 6 foot 3 and 240lbs hence the front end was very soft. Its light and fun. I been told by some of the guys i do track days that i run a pretty good pace giving extra margin for error as obviously its not the track. The Ducati is my track only bike so no wiring harness, no lights and runs full ohlins setup which is awesome so i do not expect this to be close to the ohlins i run on the duck. I am tempted sometimes about a rear shock. I had back surgery and needed a 450 lb ride and the storm fits the bill. I did not like the 2005 vstrom 1000 i had, it had a bizarre stumble i hated and a tune box share program did not fix it. I did 10k miles in 5 months and sold as i never really gelled.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I moved from a 2001 ZRX1200 (super standard) last year to a 2012 V Strom. I then began modding the V Strom for quicker handling. The handling was too slow in stock form.
  • I pulled the forks up in the triple trees 1 inch.
  • I then maxed out the rear preload which raised the rear.
After those mods, the Big V handled much better!!!
NOTE: I had performed the same mods to the ZRX. I ride ONLY on the street.

YEMV
View attachment 278812
Maxing out the preload will not raise the rear , its makes the spring harder to compress, but the shock is still the same length

1 - 20 of 48 Posts