StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking for an adventure bike for about a year now and am ready to buy. I've never owned a bike newer than a 1983. I've spend the past couple years restoring and selling vintage Honda's (350's and 750's). With a kid on the way it's time to stop tinkering in the garage and just get something to ride.

I'm currently looking at a 2002 DL1000 for a smokin deal in Colorado. The guy selling said he's just getting too old to ride. He just had the 30k service done and the fork seals, and clutch basket replaced. I've searched this forum up and down looking for a reason NOT to buy but these bikes just seem so reliable.

Reliability is what I'm looking for. I've spent my time messing with vintage bikes and that ship has sailed for now. I guess my question is, for someone ready to just ride, is a 2002 with 30k on it the way to go?

Thanks, Jacob

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
OK choice. 650 is more nimble off pavement and in tight windies. 1000 is stronger at speed up steep, high altitude highways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK choice. 650 is more nimble off pavement and in tight windies. 1000 is stronger at speed up steep, high altitude highways.
I'd actually be just fine with the 650 but this is a steal of a deal and I trust the seller. Thanks for the advice though, I'm in Denver, CO so the high altitude highways is something to consider. I love riding up in the mountains which can reach altitudes of 14,000 ft. But in general my elevation will be around 5,000 to 8,000 ft,

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I walked away. It actually turned out to feel pretty sketchy. The bike had been laid down and he didn't think to mention that to me over the phone. He replaced not only the clutch basket but the entire clutch. He also replaced the water pump himself but said he has an extra gasket because the 10yr old one looked fine. I wasn't at all comfortable with it. On to the next deal I guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts